Re: [fhctech] Read Only Flash Drive Database

    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 10, 2009
      Stupid question: are you sure no other program has that file open?

      On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 1:31 PM, <bradbury@...> wrote:
      > Thanks for responding.
      >
      > I've tried different things.  I tried right-click Properties and the read only box
      > was not checked.  I tried checking then Apply, then going back and unchecking it
      > and that didn't work.
      >
      > I also wehn to My Computer, then the drive for the flash, selected it - E Drive
      > then selected the file and right-click then Properties.  Read only was not checked
      > so I did the same thing again.
      >
      > What is strange is last night I was using this database and making additions.
      >
      > I had saved it on my desktop so I tried to open it - I was going to save it back to
      > a different flash drive, but I could only open it in read only.
      >
      > Yes there is a little switch on the side of the flash drive and I've tried it in
      > both positions but the db is still read only.
      >
      > Any ohter suggestions?
      >
      > I'm not totally sunk because I saved it on my lapdop and was able to save that on a
      > different flash drive.
      >
      > Thanks for your suggestions.
      >
      > Connie
      >

      >> Did you right-click/Properties on the drive or on the file itself?  I
      >> think you have to do it on the file itself.
      >>
      >> But first, physically check the drive for a small switch.  Some models
      >> have a "read only" switch.
      >>

      >> On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 8:12 AM,  <bradbury@...> wrote:
      >>>
      >>> How can I change a PAF database stored on a flash drive from read only to
      >>> read-write.
      >>>
      >>> I tried going to "My computer" - selecting where the flase drive is (Drive E) and
      >>> right clicked on properties.  Read only was not checked, only archive.  I checked
      >>> read only then unchecked it but I still cannot open the database for read-write.
      >>>
      >>> Please help.
      >>>
      >>> Connie

      >>> Shortcut URL to Yahoo! group page:

    • register
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 10, 2009

        How did you put your data on the flash drive?  If you backed up to the flash drive and then later navigated to the zip file on the flash drive and clicked on it you will find that PAF opens in read-only mode.  If you did backup then to the flash drive then load PAF and ‘restore’ the file and all will be well.

        Eric

        href="mailto:bradbury%40acsalaska.net">bradbury@acsalaska. net> wrote:

        >> How can I change a PAF database stored on a flash drive from read only
        >> read-write.
        >>
        >> I tried going to "My computer" - selecting where the flase
        drive is (Drive E) and
        >> right clicked on properties.  Read only was not checked, only
        archive.  I checked
        >> read only then unchecked it but I still cannot open the database for
        read-write.

        >> Please help.
        >>
        >> Connie

        >> Shortcut URL to Yahoo! group page:
        >>  http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/fhctechYah oo!
        Groups Links

      • Sherwood Bridges
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 11, 2009
          Connie;
          You didn't say what program you were using but I assume it was PAF.  This is a common problem usually caused by trying to open PAF by clicking on a backup file [xxx.zip].  Sometimes PAF will even open it but it will be read only and even if you change the property, you still can't do anything with it.

          To solve the problem, ALWAYS RESTORE BACKUP FILES FROM WITHIN PAF.  In other words, open PAF and then restore the file from the 'file' menu.  Then life will be good.  Then make a solemn promise to never, never, ever click on a PAF backup file [xxx.zip]again.

          Sherwood Bridges
          Stake Family History Trainer
          Monroe Utah Family History and Training Center
        • bradbury@acsalaska.net
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 11, 2009
            No.

            Connie

            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 11, 2009
              The flash drive was the original database. I "saved as" from the flash drive to my
              desktop.

              I am certain there is only a .ged file on the flash drive.

              Connie

              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 11, 2009
                When you use "save as" from PAF you should get a .paf file, not a .ged file.

                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 11, 2009
                  You are right. That is what I got. I mis-spoke or mis-wrote!

                • Susan K. Rathburn
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 12, 2009
                    Re:IE8 Problem

                    When I last ran a LanDesk update, it included an IE8 blocker. When I asked Support why, the tech told me that IE8 does not play well with some of the FHC Portal sites, so they block it. Perhaps that is relating to your problem with IE8?

                  • Miles Meyer
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 12, 2009
                      That is odd. We had to delete Firefox and reinstall IE8 in order to get FHC Portal to work.

                      Miles Meyer

                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 12, 2009
                        I believe that IE8 is blocked from Microsoft's Updates, you but can manually go to download.microsoft.com and install it from there.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 12, 2009
                          I bet someone probably clicked "Yes" when Firefox asked if it should be the default browser. We have it on all our computers with no conflicts with the portal. You need to make sure it does not pop up the request each time it starts to prevent patron from screwing things up.