Create GEDCOM from Excel

  • rulon44
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2009
      A patron came in with an Excel pedigree. What a mess to try to follow. I told him about PAF. He wants to put his information in PAF, but he has a mountain of work in Excel. It will be a real job to type it all into PAF or any other program.

      I have been trying to think of a way to port it over into GEDCOM, but cannot come up with an idea. If there were some way to convert it over to ASCII, but then it would have to be in the correct order. (And I have no clue what the order is.)

      Any ideas? He might be able cut and paste the notes, but that is about as far as I can see any way of not having to type from scratch.

      Thanks,

      Rulon
      Cerritos CA
    • Terri Jaskolka
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2009
        I have used Excel to create a template to merge spreadsheet data into to create another sort of data file (.kml for Google Earth). I think a very similar thing could be done to create a GEDCOM file, provided your patron was consistent in how he listed his data. You basically take a second spreadsheet to create the structure around the data in the first spreadsheet, then merge it together into a text file report. A pain to set up, but once it's created, the rest is automatic. :)

        -Terri J.

        On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 10:14 PM, rulon44 <rulon44@...> wrote:
        A patron came in with an Excel pedigree.  What a mess to try to follow.  I told him about PAF.  He wants to put his information in PAF, but he has a mountain of work in Excel.  It will be a real job to type it all into PAF or any other program.

        I have been trying to think of a way to port it over into GEDCOM, but cannot come up with an idea.  If there were some way to convert it over to ASCII, but then it would have to be in the correct order.  (And I have no clue what the order is.)

        Any ideas?  He might be able cut and paste the notes, but that is about as far as I can see any way of not having to type from scratch.

        Thanks,

        Rulon
        Cerritos CA

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
           mailto:fhctech-digest@yahoogroups.com
           mailto:fhctech-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • rulon44
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2009
          After posting this note, I tried Googling "Convert Excel to GEDCOM". It seems there are a number of programs (all free) that are suppost to convert Excel to GEDCOM. Has anyone had any experience with any of them? There could be all kinds of "free" things hidden in the programs. Any suggestions?

          Thanks,

          Rulon
          Cerritos, CA