Error 19 when reinstalling FHC Desktop Image

  • Kathryn
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 19, 2009
      One of our FHC computers got messed up and I tried to reinstall the FHC Desktop Image from the CD. It gets to 50 - 70% and then gives me an "Error 19." When I click OK, it says the installation is complete, but when I reboot I get the old non-system disk error.

      I've tried two different CD's with the same results. I also reformatted the hard drive, reinstalled Windows (which worked fine), and then tried reinstalling the image, all to no avail. Any suggestions?

      Thanks!

      Kathryn
    • Dana Repouille
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 19, 2009
        To be precise, which image are you using?

        What make and model is the computer?

        I have the Windows XP Pro SP2 Standard & Digital Imaging System Desktop 5.8
        installation Disc (DVD) from November 2008.

        Dana in Council Bluffs

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 20, 2009
          The label on the image DVD reads:

          English
          Windows 2000 Pro SP4
          Hardware Independent Image
          Family History Center Desktop Image

          The computer is an HP Compaq Pentium 4 d530 SFF

          Thanks for your help!

          Kathryn

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 20, 2009
            We're supposed to be moving away from Windows 2000. I'd suggest
            calling Family History Center support and asking for a new set of
            disks.

            On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 8:00 AM, Kathryn <kgrant100@...> wrote:
            > The label on the image DVD reads:
            >
            > English
            > Windows 2000 Pro SP4
            > Hardware Independent Image
            > Family History Center Desktop Image
            >
            > The computer is an HP Compaq Pentium 4 d530 SFF
            >
            > Thanks for your help!
            >
            > Kathryn
            >
            > --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, "Dana Repouille" <drepouille@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> To be precise, which image are you using?
            >>
            >> What make and model is the computer?
            >>
            >> I have the Windows XP Pro SP2 Standard & Digital Imaging System Desktop 5.8
            >> installation Disc (DVD) from November 2008.
            >>
            >> Dana in Council Bluffs

          • Dana Repouille
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 20, 2009
              Ah yes, the Windows 2000 image CD. I'm not sure why the image extraction
              fails for you. Maybe your disc drive is getting tired. Extracting an image
              is a lot of work for a disc drive. You might need to swap the CD/DVD disc
              drive temporarily with that from another system. It's easy with the hp
              compaq d530 sff model.

              The other thing that could be causing the problem is that your image disc is
              scratched and unreadable. You might try cleaning it. Never lay a disc
              bottom-down on any surface that will scratch it.

              Dana

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 20, 2009
                However I would second Russell's comment about getting the XP disk. If
                support is called tomorrow the disk should arrive in a few days, and there
                is probably nothing critical that the computer can't wait until then to be
                fixed. It may still need the drive swapped if there are disk read issues,
                but I would not be spending time putting on a W2K image as long as the
                computer has the horsepower for XP. The base d530 unit only had 256 MB of
                RAM which is not really enough to run XP well, but that is a cheap upgrade
                (that model can take up to 4 GB).

                > Ah yes, the Windows 2000 image CD. I'm not sure why the image extraction
                > fails for you. Maybe your disc drive is getting tired. Extracting an image
                > is a lot of work for a disc drive. You might need to swap the CD/DVD disc
                > drive temporarily with that from another system. It's easy with the hp
                > compaq d530 sff model.
                >
                > The other thing that could be causing the problem is that your image disc
                > is
                > scratched and unreadable. You might try cleaning it. Never lay a disc
                > bottom-down on any surface that will scratch it.
                >
                > Dana

              • Dana Repouille
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 20, 2009
                  Oh yes, I absolutely agree, Gary!

                  However I would second Russell's comment about getting the XP disk. If
                  support is called tomorrow the disk should arrive in a few days, and there
                  is probably nothing critical that the computer can't wait until then to be
                  fixed. It may still need the drive swapped if there are disk read issues,
                  but I would not be spending time putting on a W2K image as long as the
                  computer has the horsepower for XP. The base d530 unit only had 256 MB of
                  RAM which is not really enough to run XP well, but that is a cheap upgrade
                  (that model can take up to 4 GB).

                  Gary Templeman
                • Kathryn
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 20, 2009
                    Thanks all! I'll see how much RAM the machine has and see about getting more if needed so we can upgrade to XP. I looked through the CDs that came with the machine and they include an HP Win XP CD.

                    Sure appreciate the quick and helpful response.

                    Kathryn

                    --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Templeman" <gtempleman1@...> wrote:

                    > However I would second Russell's comment about getting the XP disk. If
                    > support is called tomorrow the disk should arrive in a few days, and there
                    > is probably nothing critical that the computer can't wait until then to be
                    > fixed. It may still need the drive swapped if there are disk read issues,
                    > but I would not be spending time putting on a W2K image as long as the
                    > computer has the horsepower for XP. The base d530 unit only had 256 MB of
                    > RAM which is not really enough to run XP well, but that is a cheap upgrade
                    > (that model can take up to 4 GB).
                    >
                    > Gary Templeman

                  • Dana Repouille
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 20, 2009
                      The Windows XP OEM CD you received with the machine will only install
                      Windows, not the full desktop image provided by the Church. You will have to
                      manually download and install LANDesk and other FHC-related software. It's
                      not the best solution, but it's not the worst, either, especially if your
                      image CD is useless.

                      I would still call and request the latest desktop DVD from Family History
                      Support.

                      Dana

                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 20, 2009
                        You certainly can use the HP disk, however it may (will) have some HP and
                        other junk that you don't need (like trial A-V software, etc) that will need
                        to be uninstalled, and it will NOT have any of the FH stuff that the Church
                        disk would pre-install automatically. It is really your choice. The Church
                        disk will reduce than amount of family history software you need to manually
                        install but you can get started immediately by using the HP disk.

                        Gary

                        > Thanks all! I'll see how much RAM the machine has and see about getting
                        > more if needed so we can upgrade to XP. I looked through the CDs that came
                        > with the machine and they include an HP Win XP CD.
                        >
                        > Sure appreciate the quick and helpful response.
                        >
                        > Kathryn
                        >
                        > --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Templeman" <gtempleman1@...> wrote:
                        >>
                        >> However I would second Russell's comment about getting the XP disk. If
                        >> support is called tomorrow the disk should arrive in a few days, and
                        >> there
                        >> is probably nothing critical that the computer can't wait until then to
                        >> be
                        >> fixed. It may still need the drive swapped if there are disk read issues,
                        >> but I would not be spending time putting on a W2K image as long as the
                        >> computer has the horsepower for XP. The base d530 unit only had 256 MB of
                        >> RAM which is not really enough to run XP well, but that is a cheap
                        >> upgrade
                        >> (that model can take up to 4 GB).
                        >>
                        >> Gary Templeman

                      • Dan
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 20, 2009
                          Request more memory at the same time if it's needed. They will probably send it right out.

                          Dan