Online FHLC and Advertising

  • Connie Bradbury
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 8, 2009
      I had been noticing certain words popping up in catalog descriptions in green and underlined.  I finally got curious enough to click on one and got a gaming pop up ad.

      What is this all about?

      Connie
    • James W Anderson
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 8, 2009
        Wonder if someone downloaded an add-on to that computer's browser.  There are probably some Firefox extension that might be doing this.  I doubt this was from the FHLC, being that the Familysearch site never will have any advertising.

        Best to check the 'manage add-ons' feature in Firefox, and remove any that look like they might be unfamiliar or be commercial advertising type add-ons.

        MSIE 7 has extensions too, but they are way behind Firefox.

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 8, 2009
          I agree with James. Something got added to the computer that
          shouldn't be there. Perhaps someone downloaded some "cool new
          program" and didn't read all the licensing that said that you agreed
          to install some advertising software.

          Then again, it could be something that "jumped on" when someone
          browsed somewhere.

          You might want to check that your anti-virus is up to date and do a
          full scan on the station.

          On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 4:50 PM, Connie Bradbury<bradbury@...> wrote:

          > I had been noticing certain words popping up in catalog descriptions in
          > green and underlined.  I finally got curious enough to click on one and got
          > a gaming pop up ad.
          >
          > What is this all about?

        • Connie Bradbury
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 9, 2009
            James:

            You were right.  I found the culprit and disabled.  But, I have another problem..  I have always had Google as by home page and last week it doesn't come up but Ask.com does.  I checked "manage add ons and it says Ask.com was disabled two years ago.  Any suggestions for me?

            Connie

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 9, 2009
              It may be as simple as re-setting Google as the home page.