Way to detect Windows 95 B

  • Rick Klemetson
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 22, 1999
      This was sent to me, but I am not running Windows 95. I need someone to
      go to their control panel, click on the system icon, and look on the
      screen - top right where mine says:
      System:
      Windows 98
      4.10.1998

      I would like to see what it says when you are running Windows 95A or
      Windows 95B. This would help new people determine if their system can
      handle a drive larger than 2 Gig.

      <snip>
      According to Micro$oft FAT 32 is limited to a total of 2 TB that is to
      say that the largest
      partition you can create is two terabytes in size.

      The best way to tell which version of Windows 95 you are using is to go
      to system in the
      Control Panel. The reason for this is because if the Y2K update has
      been installed on the
      computer the date will be set to 1998.
      <snip>

      --
      Rick Klemetson - The Computer Guy
      Cell - (801) 358-7870 Pager - (801) 342-1707
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 23, 1999
        In message <3861CF4E.AE6AD59A@...>, Rick Klemetson
        <klem@...> writes
        >From: Rick Klemetson <klem@...>
        >
        >This was sent to me, but I am not running Windows 95. I need someone to
        >go to their control panel, click on the system icon, and look on the
        >screen - top right where mine says:
        >System:
        >Windows 98
        >4.10.1998
        <snip>
        I have an OEM2 version of WIN95 and Control Panel, System, says:

        Windows 95
        4.00 950 B
        --
        Terry Steer terry@...
      • Rick P
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 23, 1999
          The question probably ought to be what File system are you running. On any
          operating system post W95 if you go into Windows Explorer and right click on
          the disk drive and select properties, this will tell you the current file
          system which could be FAT (limited to 2GB), FAT32 or NTFS. The latter two
          have limits (around 2TB) ie not within current technology. Note that some
          early machines have BIOS limitations which prevent the use of disk drives
          over 8GB. These need a BIOS upgrade or a patch usually available from
          manufacturers websites.

          The operating system can usually be detected from help - product info -
          system info within any microsoft product.

          Hope this helps

          RickP

[...]

          Home Page:
          http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~fhcnet/fhctech/
          Searchable Archive:
          http://www.mail-archive.com/fhctech%40onelist.com/
          Community email addresses:
          Post message: fhctech@onelist.com
          Subscribe: fhctech-subscribe@onelist.com
          Shortcut URL to this page:
          http://www.onelist.com/community/fhctech
        • Justin Masters
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 23, 1999
            Win95B will handle large drives (if they're hardware can handle it)

            It's typically known as OSR2, OSR2.1 or OSR2.5 (depending on patches,
            USB "support")

            Mine says Windows 95, 4.00.950B

            Justin

            Verily, Rick Klemetson did write:
            | From: Rick Klemetson <klem@...>
            |
            | This was sent to me, but I am not running Windows 95. I need someone to
            | go to their control panel, click on the system icon, and look on the
            | screen - top right where mine says:
            | System:
            | Windows 98
            | 4.10.1998
            |
            | I would like to see what it says when you are running Windows 95A or
            | Windows 95B. This would help new people determine if their system can
            | handle a drive larger than 2 Gig.
            |
            | <snip>
            | According to Micro$oft FAT 32 is limited to a total of 2 TB that is to
            | say that the largest
            | partition you can create is two terabytes in size.
            |
            | The best way to tell which version of Windows 95 you are using is to go
            | to system in the
            | Control Panel. The reason for this is because if the Y2K update has
            | been installed on the
            | computer the date will be set to 1998.
            | <snip>
            |
            | --
            | Rick Klemetson - The Computer Guy
            | Cell - (801) 358-7870 Pager - (801) 342-1707
            | Email - mailto:klem@...
            |
            | | Home Page:
            | http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~fhcnet/fhctech/
            | Searchable Archive:
            | http://www.mail-archive.com/fhctech%40onelist.com/
            | Community email addresses:
            | Post message: fhctech@onelist.com
            | Subscribe: fhctech-subscribe@onelist.com
            | Shortcut URL to this page:
            | http://www.onelist.com/community/fhctech

            Justin Masters (Sr. Cad Engineer - Design Automation) PH: 916-356-6735
            Intel Corp. FM5-94 FAX: 916 356-7874
            1900 Prairie City Rd, Folsom, CA 95630 jmasters@...
          • Snow, Donald R.
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 23, 1999
              Rick, I run Windows95 B and on mine it says "Mircosoft Windows95 4.00.950 B"

              Don Snow

              At 12:29 AM 12/23/99 -0700, you wrote:
              >From: Rick Klemetson <klem@...>
              >
              >This was sent to me, but I am not running Windows 95. I need someone to
              >go to their control panel, click on the system icon, and look on the
              >screen - top right where mine says:
              >System:
              >Windows 98
              >4.10.1998
              >
              >I would like to see what it says when you are running Windows 95A or
              >Windows 95B. This would help new people determine if their system can
              >handle a drive larger than 2 Gig.
              >
              ><snip>
              >According to Micro$oft FAT 32 is limited to a total of 2 TB that is to
              >say that the largest
              >partition you can create is two terabytes in size.
              >
              >The best way to tell which version of Windows 95 you are using is to go
              >to system in the
              >Control Panel. The reason for this is because if the Y2K update has
              >been installed on the
              >computer the date will be set to 1998.
              ><snip>
              >
              >--
              >Rick Klemetson - The Computer Guy
              >Cell - (801) 358-7870 Pager - (801) 342-1707
              >Email - mailto:klem@...
              >
              >>Home Page:
              > http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~fhcnet/fhctech/
              >Searchable Archive:
              > http://www.mail-archive.com/fhctech%40onelist.com/
              >Community email addresses:
              > Post message: fhctech@onelist.com
              > Subscribe: fhctech-subscribe@onelist.com
              >Shortcut URL to this page:
              > http://www.onelist.com/community/fhctech

              Dr. Donald R. Snow, Dept of Mathematics, Brigham Young University, Provo,
              Utah 84602
              (801) 378-2366, snowd@..., and drs31@...
              (We just returned after a year serving as the Directors of the New York
              Family History Center in Manhattan.)