Re: [fhctech] Landesk and Deepfreeze

    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 17, 2009
      On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 8:29 AM, simonsen <simonsen@...> wrote:
      > The real point is you should be using symantec from the church and you
      > do not
      > need spybot with the church connection.
      > Richard

      Yes, Symantec is good, but it's also the gold standard that the virus
      writers try to beat. Spybot does add some protection, but there are
      licensing issues with using it in a FHC, so unless you want to pay
      forf it, it's a moot point.

      It should also be noted that Symantec is only for official FHCs.
      Unofficial FHCs should not be using LANDesk or Symantec, so there's a
      need for inexpensive protection in that situation.
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 17, 2009
        You are making the assumption that the only way spyware can get on to a
        computer is over the Internet. Spyware sources on removable media are still
        a possibility. All it might take is a patron attempting to install something
        that they bring in on their flash drive without realizing they are infected,
        accidentally rebooting with an infected floppy or flash drive still
        inserted, etc. And I don't know that we can assume the filters are 100%
        foolproof. We have still accidentally come across inapropriate material on
        occasion.

        Gary

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 17, 2009
          If the autorun feature hasn't been disabled, simply inserting an
          infected flash drive can infect the computer.

          Some viruses/worms are transmitted from computer to computer over the
          network, so another infected computer inside the firewall could infect
          another.

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 18, 2009
            Yep, I didn't list all the possibilities, that was what the "etc" was for.
            <VBG>

            Gary