Ancestry Access at FHC?

  • kathryngz
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 11, 2009
      Hi all,

      I was recently assigned to assist with tech support in our FHC in Memphis TN. Two questions:

      1. Is it correct that we should be able to access the institutional version of Ancestry.com? (www.ancestryinstitution.com)

      2. If so, how do I get the credentials? No one here seems to have them.

      Thanks!

      Kathryn
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 11, 2009
        Send an email to fhcsupport@....

        I'm not sure exactly what they'll need, but it will include a contact
        name, center unit number, center name, number of computers.

        On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 4:50 AM, kathryngz <kgrant100@...> wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > I was recently assigned to assist with tech support in our FHC in Memphis TN. Two questions:
        >
        > 1. Is it correct that we should be able to access the institutional version of Ancestry.com? (www.ancestryinstitution.com)
        >
        > 2. If so, how do I get the credentials? No one here seems to have them.
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Kathryn

      • Alan Whitcomb

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 11, 2009
              Has ancestry.com changed their relationship with the Family History program and offering it free to the FHCs again?

              Alan W.

              .

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 11, 2009
                On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 12:18 PM, Alan Whitcomb <alan.whitcomb@...> wrote:

                > Has ancestry.com changed their relationship with the Family History program
                > and offering it free to the FHCs again?
                >
                > Alan W.

                Parts of Ancestry have always been free to FHCs as part of a
                contractual deal. For some time Ancestry was giving access to all of
                their site. But a few years ago they decided that was poor business
                and cut it back to what they were contractually obligated to do.

                Of course a big cry went up "we lost Ancestry!" when that happened.
                Not completely true, but I can understand how some became confused.