Issues with loading FHC DVD XP OS

  • paulbb1
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 4, 2009
      A FHC provided Dell GX280 crashed and would not boot. Using the FHC
      DVD, I have followed the instructions to reload a number of times with
      no success. Now I am getting the messages:
      CDBOOT: Couldn't find BOOTMGR
      Missing operating system

      HISTORY
      I have loaded my copy of XP running the System Recovery system and ran
      FIXMBR and then FIXBOOT. Rebooted and then deleted the partiion then
      recreating it and then reformating the HD. Then completed the loading
      this machine using the serial number on the case. Loaded fine and
      check the disk properties using Win Explorer, around 74MB. XP normal
      OS disk works!

      Took the FHC DVD and rebooted the computer using the DVD. Went into
      the Utilities and deleted the partitions, waited and then rebooted.
      Loaded the FHC files. It went into 'wpeinit' and then rebooted. It
      didn't take the time it should of.

      It came up with 'Missing Operating System'. My last try ended up with
      what is in the first paragraph.

      I am wondering if I put a boot manager on the computer by mistake
      using the 'Ultimate Boot Disk'. Using it I set the MBR to 0 and then
      created a standard MBR using the utilities on the UBD. All this before
      causing the system to fail? I thought reseting the MBR would remove
      any that was there. Checking the Internet that is what it says to do.

      The first paragraph is where I am at right now.

      Talked to and sent email's to FHC support but all I got was a link to
      the FHC XP DVD loading instructions that came with the DVD.

      Arlan Beebe
      Stk Tech Spec
      Ann Arbor Stake, MI
    • Perry E Shumway
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 4, 2009
        What I do when a hard drive fails in one of our computers is:
        1. Remove the hard drive and install it in another computer, as close as possible to the same make and model, as a secondary drive (change jumpers as required). Boot the computer and run check disk on the secondary drive (questionable drive) to make sure it usable.
        2. Duplicate the primary drive to the secondary drive using a program such as Acronis TrueImage or Symantec's Ghost.
        3. Remove the drive and reinstall it in the original computer and see if it will boot OK.
        4. Go into Device Manager and change the computer name to whatever it used to be.
        Windows should identify any hardware differences between the two computers and automatically install drives.

        There may be a better way but this has worked for me a couple of time.

        Perry Shumway

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 4, 2009
          Yes, this should work but why doesn't the DVD work?? I will also have
          to change the other ID/number so they can be on the same LAN. What a
          hassle.
          Thanks
          Arlan Beebe
          --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, Perry E Shumway <perryeshumway@...> wrote:

          > What I do when a hard drive fails in one of our computers is:
          > 1. Remove the hard drive and install it in another computer, as
          close as possible to the same make and model, as a secondary drive
          (change jumpers as required). Boot the computer and run check disk on
          the secondary drive (questionable drive) to make sure it usable.
          > 2. Duplicate the primary drive to the secondary drive using a
          program such as Acronis TrueImage or Symantec's Ghost.
          > 3. Remove the drive and reinstall it in the original computer and
          see if it will boot OK.
          > 4. Go into Device Manager and change the computer name to whatever
          it used to be.
          > Windows should identify any hardware differences between the two
          computers and automatically install drives.

          > There may be a better way but this has worked for me a couple of time.
          >
          > Perry Shumway
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Dana Repouille
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 4, 2009
            Perry,
            That seems like a good idea, but I wonder if your procedure will confuse LANDesk.

            Dana

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 4, 2009
              The support desk is going to send me a new DVD because mine might be
              corrupted. Same version number.

              Arlan

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 4, 2009
                Once the computer had a unique name on the system (and a unique IP address)
                it shouldn't matter to LANDesk how the OS got on the HD.

                > That seems like a good idea, but I wonder if your procedure will confuse
                > LANDesk.
                >
                > Dana
                >
                > _____

              • Dan
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 6, 2009
                  Although Landesk doesn't care how the OS got there, there is a unique Landesk ID for each machine... when you Ghost a drive like this, you have to manually fix the duplicate Landesk ID's and run a new inventory scan, or you confuse HQ on the computer count in your center. Search the Archives of this mailing list for more detail, or email Lynn Shaw.

                  Dan Vester
                  Technology Specialist
                  Prescott Arizona FHC

                  http://www.eset.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 6, 2009
                    Dan,

                    I searched the archives for all messages related to LANDesk and do not find
                    anything about manually changing an ID. The closest thing was running the
                    Computer Identification Tool. If you could point us to the thread with that
                    information I would appreciate it. I had a DeepFreeze install go bad so I
                    cloned one of our other, identical model computers in order to save hours of
                    time reinstalling software.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 6, 2009
                      Here's the message you seek:
                      ==============================

                      If you've already imaged the machine with the LANDesk agent a part of
                      the image, here are the steps you need to follow:

                      1) In the registry, delete the following two keys:
                      a) HKLM\Software\Intel\LANDesk\Common API
                      b) HKLM\Software\LANDesk\Common API
                      2) Stop and restart the LANDesk Management Agent service
                      3) Run a full inventory scan (Start menu - Programs - LANDesk
                      Management - Tools - Force Full Inventory Scan.

                      If you take the time to look, you should notice that the "Unique ID"
                      value in the Common API keys will have changed. This Unique ID is the
                      Globally Unique Identifier (or GUID) that LANDesk uses to keep track of
                      each system.

                      Lynn Shaw
                      Network Engineer, Senior
                      FamilySearch Support, CHQ

                      ====================================
                    • Bill Henderson
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 25, 2009
                        Occam's Razor states that the simplest solution is usually the best.  So, I wonder if FDISK-ing the problem drive and starting over might not have been the easiest solution?

                        If your GX280 is like my home unit, you won't have a floppy bay for DOS bootup and Fdisking.  But you already mentioned owning/using Ultimate Boot CD (ubcd33-full.iso), you should have a means of booting into a DOS operating system where FDISK can be used.  Remember that the OS partition must be "active" and it would be a good to run FDISK /MBR if the basic Fdisk doesn't work.  I prefer Freedos' Fdisk.exe or Gdisk.exe (Ghost) because you can set up scripts (batch files) to run them the way you want.

                        So long as the Church insists on floppy drives in their PCs, booting from a floppy will be available as well as easy access to FDISK . But, someday that will change.  Every FHC techie should have a bootable CD (or thumb drive) plus a partitioning tool, a password finder, a hardware inventory tool (e.g. Aida32), IBPTime 1.5, CCleaner, etc.  The list can get extensive and is off the subject.  Besides a lot of these are on the UBCD.  If your harddisk problem was much deeper, you are looking at low-level formatting; not recommended for the average techie unless you have a tool that automates the process for you.

                        I brought all this up because it seems you went through a lot of trouble to restore function to that drive.  Not Occam's Razor material. Once Fdisk restores a basic drive. the install CD/DVD's should have worked fine.  The "active" partition is an option Fdisk offers when the drive is being segmented into more than one partition.  For one partition, it is automatically made active (see either A or Active for the bootable partition when viewing settings in Fdisk).

                        Upon reviewing your email again and the UBCD disk, I notice two things that probably shouldn't have been done.  First, it appears you may have used some of UBCD's advanced MBR manipulation tools and second, it sounds as if you used its boot manager tools. Boot Manager tools are used when you want to install two different operating systems on the same PC (like Windows and Linux) then select which to run at startup.  The Boot Manager runs right after the BIOS check and asks which system you want to startup, running the rest of the startup process once you made your selection.

                        The most frequent Master Boot Record operation used, is to reset the boot sector using Fdisk /MBR and that is after performing normal Fdisk without success.  Normally performing Fdisk and ensuring the partition is active (Fdisk option 2) is all that is needed.  The advanced MBR tools on UBCD are pretty sophisicated and can foul things up in the wrong hands (almost everything is recoverable, but the grief level can be high).

                        Since it sounds as though you got the system working again, so most of this is for other techies who are unsure what to do in a similar situation.  No question, that occasionally Occam's Razor isn't sharp enough, but he generally keeps it pretty sharp.

                        Bill Henderson,  Santa Clara FHC