Re: [fhctech] FHC Web Sites

  • Terri Jaskolka
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 15, 2009
      Would you please share your findings with all of us, should you find your answer off this list? I am curious about this as well. Thanks.

      -Terri J.

      On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 1:31 PM, Bob Hegerich <BobH36@...> wrote:
      Hi All:

      About eight years ago, our FHC put up a web site and were told to take it down as it was contrary to [church and/or FHL, I know not which] policy.  My suspicion is that such a policy still exists.  If so, could someone point me to it, as I have been asked by our new FHC director about having a web site.  I would like to line up the facts, and this is the only one I am missing.

      Thanks.

      -----Bob H-----

    • Chuck Anderson
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 15, 2009
        Attached is a PDF letter that the Church sent out way back then about
        discontinuing local unit web sites.
        It doesn't specifically mention the FHC, but it does mention "all
        organizations" within a unit, which pretty much covers it.

        This letter can also be found under lds.org by clicking on "Serving in
        the Church" at the top, then in the resulting pop-out menu, click on
        "Melchizedek Priesthood", then in the next web page, click on "Clerk
        and Technology Support" and click on "Letters and Policies" at the
        left.

        OR, the shortcut is to go to this web addr: clerk.lds.org and then
        click on "Letters and Policies".

        Chuck
        Lenexa, KS

        --
        Chuck Anderson
        cwha@...
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 15, 2009
          I have found that "regional" FHCs like Ogden and Los Angeles have
          them.. I can understand the Church wanting to avoid miscommunication
          coming from an "official" site.

          What I did 7 years ago was to make the statement at the bottom of
          EVERY page that it was an unofficial website and the views and
          opinions expressed only reflected the views of the author.

          I also remember in 1997 Elder Perry telling us at a Stake Conference
          that we should avoid the internet. Times change.. but if you DON'T
          disclose doctrine and you put some disclaimer..

          Many FHCs have email lists. That might be a better, safer, and easier way to go.

          On FamilySearch it's possible to find FHC hours and contact
          information... This can be tricky as I have noticed that the Ogden FHC
          hours are different on their website and familysearch.org for example.

          Alan W.
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 15, 2009
            There are actually two of them. Here's the more recent one, but the
            message is the same.

            Note that this extends to email groups. So it would seem that a FHC
            running a Yahoo or Google group would be against policy.