FHC Web Sites

  • Bob Hegerich
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 15, 2009
      Hi All:

      About eight years ago, our FHC put up a web site and were told to take it down as it was contrary to [church and/or FHL, I know not which] policy.  My suspicion is that such a policy still exists.  If so, could someone point me to it, as I have been asked by our new FHC director about having a web site.  I would like to line up the facts, and this is the only one I am missing.

      Thanks.

      -----Bob H-----
    • Terri Jaskolka

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 15, 2009
          Attached is a PDF letter that the Church sent out way back then about
          discontinuing local unit web sites.
          It doesn't specifically mention the FHC, but it does mention "all
          organizations" within a unit, which pretty much covers it.

          This letter can also be found under lds.org by clicking on "Serving in
          the Church" at the top, then in the resulting pop-out menu, click on
          "Melchizedek Priesthood", then in the next web page, click on "Clerk
          and Technology Support" and click on "Letters and Policies" at the
          left.

          OR, the shortcut is to go to this web addr: clerk.lds.org and then
          click on "Letters and Policies".

          Chuck
          Lenexa, KS

          --
          Chuck Anderson
          cwha@...
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 15, 2009
            I have found that "regional" FHCs like Ogden and Los Angeles have
            them.. I can understand the Church wanting to avoid miscommunication
            coming from an "official" site.

            What I did 7 years ago was to make the statement at the bottom of
            EVERY page that it was an unofficial website and the views and
            opinions expressed only reflected the views of the author.

            I also remember in 1997 Elder Perry telling us at a Stake Conference
            that we should avoid the internet. Times change.. but if you DON'T
            disclose doctrine and you put some disclaimer..

            Many FHCs have email lists. That might be a better, safer, and easier way to go.

            On FamilySearch it's possible to find FHC hours and contact
            information... This can be tricky as I have noticed that the Ogden FHC
            hours are different on their website and familysearch.org for example.

            Alan W.
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 15, 2009
              There are actually two of them. Here's the more recent one, but the
              message is the same.

              Note that this extends to email groups. So it would seem that a FHC
              running a Yahoo or Google group would be against policy.