Another Deep Freeze question

  • dave.young33
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 13, 2009
      I have deep freeze running on 6 of our 12 computers. I installed it
      using the Deep Freeze Automated Installation. It works great, however,
      on four of the computers the Symantec Antivirus weekly scan runs when
      the computers are first booted up in the morning. I have let a couple
      computers complete the scan (it takes about 1 1/2 hours) but the
      computer tries the scan the next morning.

      I thought the Auto Install set Symantec Live Update to the express
      mode? and any virus scans would be run thursday when Salt Lake wakes
      the computer for maintenance. That brings up another question; does
      Salt Lake wake up all computers at the same time? Will that overwhelm
      the network and modem/firewall? I ask because I had one error on one
      computer something about not having LanDesk connectivity.

      Would appreciate any info on getting these Symantec Scans to stop. I
      don't want to install Deep Freeze on the other six computers till I
      have the first six working right.

      Dave Young
      Kaysville Area FHC
      Kaysville, Utah
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 13, 2009
        Is the scan causing any particular problem? My experience is that scans
        might cause things to run a bit slower but it has not been excessive. In
        fact I started a scan at home and wrote this during that period (not
        Symantec though) and noticed no effect at all. Can't any popup window be
        minimized and let patrons go about their business?

        Gary

        >I have deep freeze running on 6 of our 12 computers. I installed it
        > using the Deep Freeze Automated Installation. It works great, however,
        > on four of the computers the Symantec Antivirus weekly scan runs when
        > the computers are first booted up in the morning. I have let a couple
        > computers complete the scan (it takes about 1 1/2 hours) but the
        > computer tries the scan the next morning.
        >
        > I thought the Auto Install set Symantec Live Update to the express
        > mode? and any virus scans would be run thursday when Salt Lake wakes
        > the computer for maintenance. That brings up another question; does
        > Salt Lake wake up all computers at the same time? Will that overwhelm
        > the network and modem/firewall? I ask because I had one error on one
        > computer something about not having LanDesk connectivity.
        >
        > Would appreciate any info on getting these Symantec Scans to stop. I
        > don't want to install Deep Freeze on the other six computers till I
        > have the first six working right.
        >
        > Dave Young
        > Kaysville Area FHC
        > Kaysville, Utah

      • Terri J.
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 14, 2009
          In my experience, the scan has slowed processes down quite a bit, to the
          point one might consider it excessive. It takes 30-45 minutes for a scan
          to complete IF no one attempts to use the computer, and should someone
          attempt to use it during the scan, well, then it seems the scan never
          does get done, not to mention the amount of time it takes to get
          anything done on the computer. :P

          YMMV according to your system or what you are trying to do on it. It
          also continues to popup until someone unfreezes the system and lets the
          scan run on the unprotected computer. So, it's not like you just have to
          wait awhile and it's over. It happens every time the computer gets
          turned on. At one point when we weren't keeping up with the
          unfreeze/scan cycle, our computers seemed to be permanently slow for
          those trying to use them, which wasn't acceptable to anyone.

          -Terri J.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 14, 2009
            Just a wild guess here, but you may be running an older policy on the
            antivirus. The newer ones may not have a routine scan that often.
          • Terri Jaskolka
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 14, 2009
              How do we tell we're up to date, because as far as we know, we've tried to make sure everything has been the latest and greatest and appears to be up to snuff?

              -Terri J.

              PS. whatever the schedule is, the routine scan doesn't show up in the program's scheduling spot, so it's hard to say how frequently it is meant to be run. All I know is, if it thinks the scan didn't complete it's run, which it won't if the drive was frozen because it can't save the "run completed" state, it will keep trying every time you turn the computer back on until it is successful, i.e. someone unfroze the drive. THERE is where the frequency comes in. It may take weeks before it starts doing that, however, I haven't paid much attention to THAT frequency, we really try to avoid it now, lol.