How to manually edit setup files

  • Rick Klemetson
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 22, 1999
      Darrell,

      Back before we had Bod Rebo instructions (life bbr - before Bob Rebo) we
      used to edit the files manually. I'll go through a little of that so
      that you can check to see if the files were created properly -

      Concentrate on getting the ancestral file up and going before worrying
      about the IGI, OI and TR. You'll be so excited to see it work, it will
      give you the energy and motivation to continue.

      c:\pas\pas.ini
      (Make sure each mapped network drive is defined like below - the D is my
      2nd drive and R is my CDRom)
      [Drives]
      D=CD-ROM (Network)
      R=CD-ROM (Drawer/Tray)
      [AF.EXE]
      Description=Ancestral File
      NumDrivesSearchable=12
      SearchDrives=D:
      AF01_JUL98=C:,Ancestral File Disk 1
      ---------------------------------------
      c:\pas\pasetup.txt
      (These are a couple sample lines from the file - Remember the AF is
      setup on the D drive on my computer. "P" stands from primary search
      drive. I add the DRIVEC as a (Diskette) so that I can read and save
      GEDCOM's to it - some can be up to 10 Megs. Make sure the mapped drives
      are set up like the DRIVED)
      AF.EXE=D:P
      DRIVEC=Hard Drive (Diskette)
      DRIVED=CD-ROM (Network)
      ---------------------------------------
      c:\pas\af\afsetup.txt
      (Make sure that all the setup files in the af, igi, oi, etc. point to
      the correct drive letter for the \PAS directory - C:, P:, Q: etc.)
      PASSETUP=C:\pas\pasetup.txt
      (Edit these two lines so that you can create a Gedcom back 99
      generations at onetime without having to figure out who all the end
      people are on the 13th generations)
      MAXGOBACK=100
      MAXGENS=99
      ---------------------------------------
      c:\pas\af\plat2net.tbl
      the end of each line should have the drive letter like the following
      line
      AF01_JUL98 AF01_JUL98 AF01_JUL.98 AF01_JUL.98 I
      ---------------------------------------
      c:\pas\oi\regions.tbl;c:\pas\oi\regions.add; c:\pas\igi\regions.tbl;
      c:\pas\igi\regions.add; c:\pas\tr\regions.tbl; c:\pas\tr\rgns1.tbl
      (Notice the Drive Letter D: after the NA_PAR_IDX_001 - the appropriate
      drive letter should be on each cdrom line)
      BR' IGINA_01 Disc 1 NA_DATA.001 NA_SUR_IDX_001
      NA_PAR_IDX_001 D: @

      Darrell, send back an email to the list with more questions or
      successes. We'll help you through the process and you'll make it.

      Rick Klemetson

      --
      Rick Klemetson - The Computer Guy
      Cell - (801) 358-7870 Pager - (801) 342-1707