Ref : What do we do with the old disks after removing Temple Ready?

  • Dave Cottrell
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 17, 2008
      This was the instruction we had sent out to the FHC Directors in the UK.
      Hope this helps.

      REF: THE INSTRUCTION TO REMOVE TEMPLEREADY FOR WINDOWS FROM FAMILY HISTORY CENTRE COMPUTERS, DATED 16 OCTOBER 2008

      Please make sure you understand the following information.

      When TempleReady for Windows (ver.2.0) is uninstalled from FHC computers, the centre should NOT uninstall the FamilySearch DOS 2.27 program nor discard the associated CD-ROM discs.

      It is advised that family history centres in temple districts that are using the new FamilySearch, should also have FamilySearch DOS 2.27 installed on at least one of their computers to accommodate patrons who are using the databases within this program, such as "The Scottish Church Records", Military Death Index, International Genealogical Index (IGI), etc.

      Do not destroy the FamilySearch DOS 2.27 discs. The Scottish Church Records, the Military Death Index, and the International Genealogical Index (IGI) databases are still valuable to family history centre patrons. These databases can only be accessed from within the FamilySearch DOS 2.27 programme. Thus, it is advised that family history centres have FamilySearch DOS 2.27 installed on at least one (or more) of their computers, to accommodate patrons who are accessing these databases from the CD-ROM discs.

      The following explains why:

      The FamilySearch CDs contain the following information, which is not available on FamilySearch.org:
      •  The Ancestral File shows the submitters' information.
      •  There may be ordinance dates available to imply that the ancestor   was a member.
      •  Records of living individuals are displayed, making it easier to search for a family. Such records are not available with the new FamilySearch.
      •  You can download 13 generations at a time from the Ancestral File. There is a limit with the new FamilySearch.
      •  The Scottish Church Records and Military Records databases are not available with the new FamilySearch.

      --
      Dave Cottrell
      FHC Director (Poole, England)

    • susank120
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 18, 2008
        Thanks for the replies. They surely did help. We will keep our disks
        in case someone wants one some day.

        Susan

        --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Cottrell" <davejcottrell@...>