Is there a manual to "fix" a wireless client?

  • Alan Whitcomb
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 18 7:36 AM
      Is there a troubleshooting document that can be emailed to help non-techs reinstall the Aegis software?

      While I am 6000 miles away, two of the FHCs that I used to don't have wireless access.  In both cases (for the record: Pamplona, Spain and San Sebastian, Spain) the Clerk's computer is working so that tells me where the problem is.

      Or might it be easier to reinstall the software?

      Alan

    • b3178806
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 23 12:36 AM
        Alan,
        We, in Australia, used to use Aegis quite some time ago,but we now
        use Odyssey to access the internet. Unfortunately I have not been
        able to locate the troubleshooting papers I made to solve any
        problems that occurred. I do know that the quickest way to solve
        connection problems was to uninstall and reinstall Aegis.You will
        need to know the FHC number that enables you to connect to the net.
        I served a 6 year mission attached to the Family History Support
        Office looking after all the FHC's throughout Australia, mainly to
        ensure all their computers worked properly and connected to the net.
        Hope this helps
        Kevin Brown

        --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Whitcomb" <alan.whitcomb@...>

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 23 3:03 AM
          Here in the US, the church has handed greater control over Internet
          access to the stake presidents. (Meetinghouse Internet) This
          includes allowing others to use the previously installed Wireless
          systems. I've been hearing that Odyssey is fussy about the cards it
          will work with. On the Access Point side of things, the configuration
          for Odyssey doesn't play well alongside more generic WPA access. As a
          result, some sites are removing Odyssey and going with just WPA or
          WPA2.

          On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 9:36 PM, b3178806 <kevnhil@...> wrote:
          > Alan,
          > We, in Australia, used to use Aegis quite some time ago,but we now
          > use Odyssey to access the internet. Unfortunately I have not been
          > able to locate the troubleshooting papers I made to solve any
          > problems that occurred. I do know that the quickest way to solve
          > connection problems was to uninstall and reinstall Aegis.You will
          > need to know the FHC number that enables you to connect to the net.
          > I served a 6 year mission attached to the Family History Support
          > Office looking after all the FHC's throughout Australia, mainly to
          > ensure all their computers worked properly and connected to the net.
          > Hope this helps
          > Kevin Brown
          >

          > --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Whitcomb" <alan.whitcomb@...>
          > wrote:
          >>
          >> Is there a troubleshooting document that can be emailed to help non-
          > techs
          >> reinstall the Aegis software?
          >>
          >> While I am 6000 miles away, two of the FHCs that I used to don't
          > have
          >> wireless access. In both cases (for the record: Pamplona, Spain
          > and San
          >> Sebastian, Spain) the Clerk's computer is working so that tells me
          > where the
          >> problem is.
          >>

          >> Or might it be easier to reinstall the software?
          >>
          >> Alan

        • Alan Whitcomb
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 23 11:26 AM
            Having never touched the router.. If the FHCs are using Odssey, would it be possible to just run Linux and use WPA acess? Is there anything that needs to be configured on the router?

            The Pamplona FHC's hard disk has died.  No help is coming because of distance and  because the director has not turned in her monthly report.  Of course it's hard to turn in a report without internet access. (No she has none at home).

            I got a nice comment from the area FHC director after suggesting here that I create a Windows Live CD on this list, so I won't be suggesting THAT (Windows solution) again.

            Alan
            Having fun with Spain FHC computers from a distance.

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 23 4:57 PM
              My understanding is because they don't play well together, WPA and
              Odyssey won't both be available from the same access point. GSD can
              change the access point from Odyssey to WPA, but then any existing
              users will have to change as well.

              I would imagine that Linix can do WPA. I don't know if there's a
              Linux client for Odyssey.