Re: [fhctech] Old Ancestral File CDs

  • gtempleman1@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31 6:00 PM
      In addition to what Peter said, pretty much everything on those CD's is available online at FamilySearch, so there is no need to fiddle with reading them. While there were select instances where patrons were allowed to purchase some Church software, I am not sure Ancestral File was one that was allowed. Certainly it is no longer available for sale, so those CDs are likely either unauthorized copies (if duplicated) or were *stolen*. I use that word with the understanding that someone might have taken them home with good intentions (disabled staff or whatever) and that they migrated after the fact. Legally they were never supposed to leave the FHC.

      You should still keep FamilySearch 2.27 installed at the FHC however, as it is the only source for the Scottish Church Records. To install in XP you can do one of two things. Copy the entire PAS folder from a working installation, or call FH Support and get the updated installation disk which works on XP.

      From: Peter <peter.van.schaik@...>
      At 09:09 AM 31/07/2008, you wrote:

      A patron came in with one of nine CDs, which came from a deceased
      relative, and he is trying to determine what information is recorded
      on the CD -- whether it relates to the family or not. The files
      appear to be from the Ancestral File. The files on the CD are:
      AF01_JUL.98, AF_VOCAB, COPYRT, DBDEF1, DBDEF2, FILEDEFS, README,
      STAGE1, STARTUP,and VIEWDEFS. (The other CDs have the same files,
      except that the first files are AF02_, AF03_, etc.)

      Several of the files can be read with WordPad, but the first one is
      too large (534MB) -- the others are 18KB or less.

      I tried to install the old FamilySearch Release 2.27 on one of our
      computers, but it won't recognize the XP operating system. I will
      try to find one with Win98 or earlier, and try again to see if that
      will work.

      In the meantime, do any of you have ideas that may help answer the
      question -- do these CDs possibly contain down loaded pedigree
      information for the family? . . . or are they just a copy of the
      total Ancestral File at that time (July 1998)?

      Any help is gratefully appreciated.

      Phil Besselievre
      Fort Worth Texas Stake FHC

      Phil, yes you're right. These are the old AF install disks which only
      work with the old familysearch DOS program.
      And the "COPYRT" file is your clue not to make copies or install them on
      any un-authorized computers.  :-(

      Peter

      My computer problems are caused by a loose nut
      between the chair and the keyboard.

    • philbessjr
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2008
        Thanks to all who responded, both online and offline. I did confirm
        that these are "unauthorized/illegal" copies of the July 1998 release
        of the AF. With reminders of "ancient" history, I found our church-
        issued copies in the closet where I had put them, and I remebered that
        I left the old DOS FamilySearch on one computer in the FHC, which
        readily displayed the contents of the CD. Thanks again -- you always
        come through.

        Phil Besselievre