XP Pro SP3: Patron with no password can't access shared printer

  • Dana Repouille
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 29, 2008
      For several years, I have set my Patron account to be a Computer
      Administrator, with no password, and have had absolutely no problems sharing
      printers.

      I recently reimaged two computers using the 2006 FHC image, and then
      installed XP SP3. I did them separately at home, and then took them to the
      FHC. One is the printer server, and the other is a client.

      I connected the HP LaserJet 1300 to a USB port on the server, and got it all
      set up and shared. When I tried to add the printer on the client system, I
      received an error message. One of the possible reasons listed for the error
      was using a blank password, which is true. My Patron account always has a
      blank password.

      After banging my head on the keyboard for an hour, I finally gave up and
      assigned a password "x" to the Patron account on both machines. Everything
      worked perfectly.

      What changed?

      I did leave a note on each computer to tell the staff that Patron now has a
      password.

      This problem ONLY seems to happen when I create a NEW shared printer. In
      other FHCs, when I installed XP SP3, the grandfathered shared printers seem
      to work just fine.

      Dana in Council Bluffs
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 29, 2008
        If I had to guess, Microsoft changed. If you added the printer before
        doing the update it might have worked. <g>

        I only did a very quick Google but couldn't find any solutions.

        On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 1:20 PM, Dana Repouille <drepouille@...> wrote:

        > For several years, I have set my Patron account to be a Computer
        > Administrator, with no password, and have had absolutely no problems sharing
        > printers.
        >
        > I recently reimaged two computers using the 2006 FHC image, and then
        > installed XP SP3. I did them separately at home, and then took them to the
        > FHC. One is the printer server, and the other is a client.
        >
        > I connected the HP LaserJet 1300 to a USB port on the server, and got it all
        > set up and shared. When I tried to add the printer on the client system, I
        > received an error message. One of the possible reasons listed for the error
        > was using a blank password, which is true. My Patron account always has a
        > blank password.
        >
        > After banging my head on the keyboard for an hour, I finally gave up and
        > assigned a password "x" to the Patron account on both machines. Everything
        > worked perfectly.
        >
        > What changed?
        >
        > I did leave a note on each computer to tell the staff that Patron now has a
        > password.
        >
        > This problem ONLY seems to happen when I create a NEW shared printer. In
        > other FHCs, when I installed XP SP3, the grandfathered shared printers seem
        > to work just fine.
        >
        > Dana in Council Bluffs

      • Dana Repouille
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 29, 2008
          Maybe this is my answer?
          http://www.theeldergeek.com/blank_password_network_access.htm

          Blank Password Network Access
          Windows XP professional will not allow network users computer access
          without a password. Trying to do so will normally return and error code. To
          allow network access using a blank password:

          [Start] [Run] and type gpedit.msc and click [OK]
          Navigate to Computer Configuration / Windows Settings / Security Settings /
          Local Policies / Security Options
          Double click on Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to
          console login only.
          Select the radio button next to Disabled and click [OK]

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 29, 2008
            Looks like it's certainly worth a try. Very promising.