RE: [fhctech] DC7600S

  • Dana Repouille
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 8, 2008
      >>No blue screen, error message, etc?

      Within a half-second of a boot attempt, the system resets itself.
      On the next boot attempt, it displays a message like:
      We apologize for the inconvenience, but windows did not start successfully.
      A recent hardware or software change may have caused this.
      If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly or was
      automatically shut down to protect files and folders, choose Last Known Good
      Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.
      If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to power failure or
      because the power or reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what
      caused this problem, choose Start Windows Normally.
      Safe Mode
      Safe Mode with Networking
      Safe Mode with Command Prompt
      Last Known Good Configuration
      Start Windows Normally

      >>Is the EIDE drive is set as the master, or on the correct
      terminal for cable select (I don't think that is applicable to SATA)?

      When using the SATA hard drive, it is connected to the SATA 0 port.
      When using the EIDE hard drive, it is set to Cable Select, as is the EIDE
      DVD drive on the same cable. The hard drive is connected to the black end of
      the cable, and I confirmed that it is the Master of Channel 0, and the DVD
      is the Slave of Channel 0. I disconnected the SATA hard drive while using
      the EIDE hard drive.

      >>Did this computer previously work, and with what OS?

      Yes, it was delivered to us about a year ago with Windows 2000 Pro
      installed. I believe it was a FHC image. As I recall, all DC7600S computers
      were delivered with 512MB (two 256MB DDR2). Shortly thereafter, some FHCs
      received a memory upgrade kit to increase the total memory to 1GB. However,
      this particular FHC did not receive the upgrade. I wonder why?

      >>I did notice something in the above info that leads me to wonder if the
      IDE connection is only for optical drives however.

      Well, that is probably only due to space limitations inside the case. An
      internal EIDE hard drive wouldn't work very well.

      I have temporarily installed Windows XP Home, and it works. I don't have a
      Windows XP Pro boot disc, so I can't get into a management console mode.

      I will try updating the BIOS and anything else.

      I will also try "borrowing" an identical DC7600S from another FHC that is
      rarely open. That will give me some flexibility in testing.

      Thanks,
      Dana
    • slw
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 8, 2008
        One of the things that will cause this problem is Windows is installing the wrong video card drivers. Call Salt Lake and ask them for a copy of Windows XP pro CD and the problem should go away. You will have to install all the other programs that are on the image but that is doable.

        Can you start it in safe mode? If so let it start up and delete the display adapter  from the device manager.

        Sterrie

        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 8, 2008
          No, I cannot start in any available mode. I may be able to borrow a Windows XP Pro disc from work, and use the license key on the sticker on the computer.

          Dana

          One of the things that will cause this problem is Windows is installing the wrong video card drivers. Call Salt Lake and ask them for a copy of Windows XP pro CD and the problem should go away. You will have to install all the other programs that are on the image but that is doable.

          Can you start it in safe mode? If so let it start up and delete the display adapter  from the device manager.

          Sterrie
        • Perry E Shumway
          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 8, 2008
            Just a thought- - - you might want to check the BIOS setting to make sure the hard drive you are trying to boot from is selected properly????
            P Shumway

            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 8, 2008
              I tried transplanting the imaged hard drive to a twin computer with the same
              result. Constant repeated reboots.

              I also updated the BIOS to the current version, but that didn't fix anything
              either.

              I wonder. Has ANYONE successfully applied the AUG 2007 Family History
              Desktop image to a DC7600S? The instructions say it has been tested with a
              DC7600, but that may be the DVD image set rather than the CD image set I am
              using. It should NOT make a difference.

              Quickly running out of options.

              Thanks,
              Dana
            • richard_barnes_roco
              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 8, 2008
                --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, "slw" <slweaver4@...> wrote:

                > One of the things that will cause this problem is Windows is
                installing the
                > wrong video card drivers. Call Salt Lake and ask them for a copy
                of Windows
                > XP pro CD and the problem should go away. You will have to install
                all the
                > other programs that are on the image but that is doable.
                >
                > Can you start it in safe mode? If so let it start up and delete
                the display
                > adapter from the device manager.
                >
                > Sterrie
                >
                > _____

                Behalf Of
> [...]
                However,
                > this particular FHC did not receive the upgrade. I wonder why?
                >
                > >>I did notice something in the above info that leads me to wonder
                if the
                > IDE connection is only for optical drives however.
                >
                > Well, that is probably only due to space limitations inside the
                case. An
                > internal EIDE hard drive wouldn't work very well.
                >
                > I have temporarily installed Windows XP Home, and it works. I
                don't have a
                > Windows XP Pro boot disc, so I can't get into a management console
                mode.

                > I will try updating the BIOS and anything else.
                >
                > I will also try "borrowing" an identical DC7600S from another FHC
                that is
                > rarely open. That will give me some flexibility in testing.

              • ken_richins
                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 8, 2008
                  Yes, I have installed the image from a DVD sent from SL. I did have
                  to format the disk manually BEFORE using the DVD to image it. I also
                  had a HD fail on that model and re imaged the new Hard drive from the
                  DVD with no problems.
                  --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, "Dana Repouille" <drepouille@...>

                  Message 8 of 26 , Jun 8, 2008
                    I would still try the recovery console with fixboot and fixmbr. I find it
                    difficult to believe the 7600s would have significantly different hardware.

                    Gary

                    Message 9 of 26 , Jun 8, 2008
                      I poked around on the HP website. I've seen this before with HP.
                      There is no "dc7600s" model. Yeah, I know, that's what the sticker on
                      the machine says. But there's no dc7600s on the website.

                      The "s" is short for "SFF" or "Short Form Factor". That's the case
                      style that the church has always shipped us (not to be confused with
                      the Convertible Mini-tower or Ultra Slim Desktop).

                      In other words, a dc7600s *is* a dc7600. Or more specifically, it's a
                      dc7600 in the small form factor package.

                      Bottom line, the "s" is not an issue for the problem at hand.

                      One suggestion: Re-load the image from the CD/DVD using the borrowed
                      machine. Years ago I saw a problem that drove me batty. The cache
                      memory was bad. The tip-off came when the machine would unzip a file
                      from the install CD and then proclaim it was corrupt. Your machine
                      may have a memory problem that's only showing up in unpacking the CD
                      to the disk drive. You're trying to boot from a corrupted drive.
                    • Dana Repouille
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jun 9, 2008
                        Yes, I tried that, and it failed on both machines.

                        Dana

                        Message 11 of 26 , Jun 9, 2008
                          Dana,

                          I had problems re-imaging an HP laptop at work.  Disabled the SATA Native Mode in the BIOS and it worked without a problem after that.  Not sure if that might be causing the problem in this instance.

                          Fred

                          Message 12 of 26 , Jun 9, 2008
                            Could it be a bad drive? Attach to another machine and run chkdsk, or use a
                            utility such as SpinRite.

                            Gary

                            > Yes, I tried that, and it failed on both machines.
                            >
                            > Dana

                          • Skier
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jun 9, 2008
                              On Mon, June 9, 2008 10:36 am, Gary Templeman wrote:
                              > Could it be a bad drive? Attach to another machine and run chkdsk, or use
                              > a utility such as SpinRite.

                              If the drive has already been formatted from the command line type

                              chkntfs c:

                              (or whichever drive letter is assigned, assuming it has already been
                              formatted)
                            • Dana Repouille
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jun 9, 2008
                                FUNNY STORY!

                                Here is a quote from the installation instructions for the Windows XP
                                Professional Multilingual Hardware Independent Image (HII) v1.1 Family
                                History Center Desktop Image DVD or CDs. [AUG 2007]

                                "The image CDs were tested with and created for the Dell Optiplex GX1,
                                GX110, GX150 and GX260, as these computers do not have DVD capability. Both
                                the DVD and CD images were tested with and created for the following
                                systems: the HP Compaq models D510, D530, DC5000 and DC7600; Dell Optiplex
                                GX270, GX280 and GX520. If you choose to use these CDs or DVDs with any
                                system other than the ones mentioned above, you do so at your own risk, and
                                Church Headquarters will be unable to support that system."

                                The tech I talked to on Saturday agreed that the eight-CD image I have
                                should work on the DC7600.

                                The tech I talked to today found a "by the way" note that says ONLY the DVD
                                image will work with the DC7600.

                                SURPRISE! Don't believe everything you read.
                                This is why men don't read instructions.

                                Thanks,
                                Dana
                              • Dana Repouille
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jun 9, 2008
                                  I don't see an option like that. The only reference I see to the SATA
                                  controller is under PCI Devices, where you can set the IRQ or disable the
                                  controller.

                                  Thanks,
                                  Dana

                                  ________________________________

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jun 9, 2008
                                    Is it just a coincidence that those of us who have technical knowledge and
                                    experience tend to be faced with such weird challenges? Sure, any FHC
                                    technician could have innocently tried to update one of their computers with
                                    the XP image.

                                    Or would they rather just leave the Win 2000 image on the computer? Most
                                    "normal" people would just as soon leave a working computer alone rather
                                    than try to "improve" it. Right?

                                    When I was a kid, I would disassemble everything in the house. Most I
                                    managed to put back together with a few extra parts left over.

                                    Dana

                                    No blue screen, error message, etc? And I know you are experienced enough
                                  • HLewellyn@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jun 9, 2008
                                      I don't know how the Church image works but recently I have had three HP/Compac computers running XP home and one XP Pro (not family history computers but belonging to friends) plus my own computer that had the problem with constantly trying to boot and never doing so.  Every time they started to boot to the "Windows" screen they started the reboot sequence.  I finally found the MS support for curing this problem on our machines.  Home edition and Pro have different setups for this but both require six floppies or usb or cd drive to make a six floppie disk set that you run and then reboot the computer.  In all instances our computers restarted and have worked since, three to six months later.  None had been reformatted or had windows been reinstalled.  I don't know if this might work for the Church programmed machines but it works for home use machines.  Our problems started by just not booting up one day when we turned them on, and would not do anything else but continue to try to reboot no matter how many time we shut them down and restarted them.  Apparently  this is a problem with XP or MS would not have this fix for it.  You have to be able to get into setup to do this and change the boot drive, which works because setup is available before it boots.  I have USB floppy drive that I use but you you could also use a USB flash drive or copy the program to a cd.  H Lewellyn, former director Ft. Myers Fl.  FHC

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jun 10, 2008
                                        On Mon, June 9, 2008 8:22 pm, Dana Repouille wrote:

                                        > The tech I talked to today found a "by the way" note that says ONLY the
                                        > DVD image will work with the DC7600.

                                        This is exactly why they need to publish the .iso and let us burn the most
                                        recently slipstreamed disc. Would allow patches to be made and
                                        distributed immediately.
                                      • Skip Taylor

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jun 10, 2008
                                            I wish they WOULD do this. It would make life so much easier for all of us!

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jun 15, 2008
                                              OK, here is the end of the story.

                                              The two-DVD Windows XP Pro SP2 Hardware Independent Image [Aug 2006]
                                              5-SP2-v1.0 does indeed work on the DC7600S.

                                              The eight-CD v1.1 set from [Aug 2007] does not work on the DC7600S.

                                              Go figure.

                                              Thanks,
                                              Dana