Heritage Quest, etc

  • geneamom@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 24 , May 22 5:31 PM
      I can't get to the bottom of what keeps happening.

      I set up the portal sites on all of our computers a month or so ago.  They worked fine for the first few days, but every time I come into the FHC lately there are notes left for me that they couldn't access.  It's periodically happened to me.

      Came in tonight with the intention of writing down the exact message we get.  It wasn't working at first, but I figured I'd do all the film processing first, then deal with this problem.  Now I go to see what the message is and all the computers will link to the pages.

      Is there something in particular that randomly makes the links work then not work?

      Thanks for any tips.  The librarians are getting a little frustrated with this and I can't give them a concrete answer on the reason.

      Patty Gaddis
      Exeter, NH FHC
    • Miles Meyer
      Message 2 of 24 , May 22 5:35 PM
        We have found that placing shortcuts or bookmarks is not reliable when
        going to these websites. I also have the same problem. It seems to
        work better directly from the church's website clicking on their links
        and accepting the certificates. One thing that might be causing this
        is if your IE deletes certificates after a while or if it keeps them
        for long periods. This could mean that you do not have the proper
        certificates installed, possibly (just a guess).

        Miles

        Message 3 of 24 , May 22 7:28 PM
          I'm not sure what's going on, but I'd recommend pointing people to the
          portal. That way they get new things as soon as they become
          available.

          I do know the church issues certificates for the site that's usually
          good for about a month. It's also possible that LANDesk is updating
          things in the background.

          On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 2:31 PM, <geneamom@...> wrote:
          > I can't get to the bottom of what keeps happening.
          >
          > I set up the portal sites on all of our computers a month or so ago. They
          > worked fine for the first few days, but every time I come into the FHC
          > lately there are notes left for me that they couldn't access. It's
          > periodically happened to me.
          >
          > Came in tonight with the intention of writing down the exact message we
          > get. It wasn't working at first, but I figured I'd do all the film
          > processing first, then deal with this problem. Now I go to see what the
          > message is and all the computers will link to the pages.
          >
          > Is there something in particular that randomly makes the links work then not
          > work?
          >
          > Thanks for any tips. The librarians are getting a little frustrated with
          > this and I can't give them a concrete answer on the reason.
          >
          > Patty Gaddis
          > Exeter, NH FHC
        • Clinton Stimpson
          Message 4 of 24 , May 23 7:42 AM
            I've had the same thing happen when the certificates expire in a month.
            Using the portal updates the certificates when necessary.

            Last time I checked, clicking on the link for the Godfrey Memorial
            Library takes you there, but doesn't log you in. How are patrons
            supposed to know to log in, as they don't have to for other sites?

            Access to these sites isn't as simple as I expect it to be. Can it to
            be made simpler?
            I'd like direct access to the sites without using the portal, and I'd
            like all sites to auto login.
            Simple internet browsing is hard enough for some patrons. It doesn't
            need to be harder.

            Clint

            Message 5 of 24 , May 27 7:33 PM
              Okay, so basically it sounds as though setting up the individual
              links on the desktop was not the best thing to do. But, it was not
              recommended we make the portal available to patrons. (Even though
              that's what we've done. Not that they know what to do with it.) I
              agree with Clinton here, some of our patrons and mostly the
              librarians have enough problems with making things work.

              Can anyone from SLC comment on how we are supposed to be making this
              work? Or, do I need to keep going in every month and resetting the
              certificates on all 8 computers? If that is what the problem is.

              Thanks, Patty

              At 10:42 AM 5/23/2008, you wrote:

              >I've had the same thing happen when the certificates expire in a month.
              >Using the portal updates the certificates when necessary.
              >
              >Last time I checked, clicking on the link for the Godfrey Memorial
              >Library takes you there, but doesn't log you in. How are patrons
              >supposed to know to log in, as they don't have to for other sites?
              >
              >Access to these sites isn't as simple as I expect it to be. Can it to
              >be made simpler?
              >I'd like direct access to the sites without using the portal, and I'd
              >like all sites to auto login.
              >Simple internet browsing is hard enough for some patrons. It doesn't
              >need to be harder.
              >
              >Clint
            • Rebecca Christensen
              Message 6 of 24 , May 27 7:55 PM
                Patty,
                  I too set up links on the desktop to each of the websites.  It seems to be the only way anyone - patrons or staff - seem to know what is accessible rather than hidden in the portal link.  So far, I have been updating the certificates on a regular basis by going through the portal and have left a message to staff to access the websites through the portal if any of the sites don't work through the desktop links.

                Rebecca Christensen

                Patty Gaddis <geneamom@...> wrote:
                Okay, so basically it sounds as though setting up the individual
                links on the desktop was not the best thing to do. But, it was not
                recommended we make the portal available to patrons. (Even though
                that's what we've done. Not that they know what to do with it.) I
                agree with Clinton here, some of our patrons and mostly the
                librarians have enough problems with making things work.

                Can anyone from SLC comment on how we are supposed to be making this
                work? Or, do I need to keep going in every month and resetting the
                certificates on all 8 computers? If that is what the problem is.

                Thanks, Patty

              • Dana Repouille
                Message 7 of 24 , May 27 8:27 PM
                  I set up Internet Explorer with three tabs as a home page.
                      Tab 1 goes to https://new.familysearch.org

                  The problem I am seeing is that on Tab 2, the FHC portal, there is no longer a link to Heritage Quest.

                  Dana in Council Bluffs

                  Message 8 of 24 , May 27 9:04 PM
                    On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 4:33 PM, Patty Gaddis <geneamom@...> wrote:
                    > But, it was not recommended we make the portal available to patrons. (Even though
                    > that's what we've done. Not that they know what to do with it.)

                    Any details on that? I know I had a concern as they showed a bunch of
                    extra stuff there, but they've since hidden that - at least put it one
                    link down.
                  • Dan
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 27 10:03 PM
                      Message
                      At our FHC, I put shortcut links on the desktop for each of the portal resources, labeled like 'World Vital Records', 'Godfrey Library', etc. but rather than pointing them directly at those resources, it points to the portal itself. This method lets/reminds patrons and staff know that these resources are available, but teaches them that they must go through the portal to get to them. So far it seems to be working good.

                      Dan Vester, STS
                      Prescott Arizona FHC

                      I can't get to the bottom of what keeps happening.

                      I set up the portal sites on all of our computers a month or so ago.  They worked fine for the first few days, but every time I come into the FHC lately there are notes left for me that they couldn't access.  It's periodically happened to me.

                      Came in tonight with the intention of writing down the exact message we get.  It wasn't working at first, but I figured I'd do all the film processing first, then deal with this problem.  Now I go to see what the message is and all the computers will link to the pages.

                      Is there something in particular that randomly makes the links work then not work?

                      Thanks for any tips.  The librarians are getting a little frustrated with this and I can't give them a concrete answer on the reason.

                      Patty Gaddis
                      Exeter, NH FHC

                      http://www.eset.com
                    • Patty Gaddis
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 28 4:57 AM
                        I've looked everywhere on my computer this morning and can't find the comment.  Maybe it appeared on the actual link page.  Will have to check next time I'm in.  But, I know I read somewhere that we weren't supposed to use the link page as the actual link on the desktops.  Maybe that was pre them moving the stuff down you mentioned.

                        Patty

                        Message 11 of 24 , May 28 9:59 AM
                          Message
                          Patty, my recollection of the comment you're referring to is that we are supposed to link the patrons to the portal page, and we are not supposed to link them directly to the resources.

                          Dan Vester, STS
                          Prescott Arizona FHC

                          At 12:04 AM 5/28/2008, you wrote:

                          On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 4:33 PM, Patty Gaddis <geneamom@comcast. net> wrote:
                          > But, it was not recommended we make the portal available to patrons. (Even though
                          > that's what we've done. Not that they know what to do with it.)

                          Any details on that? I know I had a concern as they showed a bunch of
                          extra stuff there, but they've since hidden that - at least put it one
                          link down.

                          http://www.eset.com
                        • register
                          Message 12 of 24 , May 30 8:29 AM

                            I believe that you must go through the portal for most of these links.  I also think that is the way it is intended and the way it works best.  I went a step further.  After explaining to staff again and again that the portal was the route to a variety of information I found that few staff and fewer patrons were using it.   The resources the portal leads to were not being visited.

                            The portal (fhc.familysearch.org)  is now the homepage for internet explorer.  Shortly after this change a staff member opened the internet and said ‘what’s this?’.  It will be interesting to see if these sites get better use now.

                            Eric

                            On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 8:31 PM, <geneamom@comcast. net> wrote:

                            > I can't get to the bottom of what keeps happening.
                            >
                            > I set up the portal sites on all of our computers a month or so ago. They
                            > worked fine for the first few days, but every time I come into the FHC
                            > lately there are notes left for me that they couldn't access. It's
                            > periodically happened to me.
                            >
                            > Came in tonight with the intention of writing down the exact message we
                            > get. It wasn't working at first, but I figured I'd do all the film
                            > processing first, then deal with this problem. Now I go to see what the
                            > message is and all the computers will link to the pages.
                            >
                            > Is there something in particular that randomly makes the links work then
                            not
                            > work?
                            >
                            > Thanks for any tips. The librarians are getting a little frustrated with
                            > this and I can't give them a concrete answer on the reason.
                            >
                            > Patty Gaddis
                            > Exeter, NH FHC

                            Checked by AVG.

                          • Dana Repouille
                            Message 13 of 24 , May 31 9:02 AM
                              I am working on an hp compaq d530s in a small FHC in rural Iowa. I wiped the
                              system, and installed the latest XP Family History image (2006). After
                              installing the image, I upgraded LANDesk to the latest version, and ran all
                              the scans necessary to register this system with the LANDesk server. I
                              downloaded and installed the security certificates, and ran the FHC Portal
                              Config program.

                              I can access all the sites from the portal, but Heritage Quest Online is
                              asking for a username and password. When I called FHC Support last Wednesday
                              night, the tech couldn't figure out why Heritage Quest was not accepting the
                              certificate.

                              To be safe and sure, I wiped the system again, this time disabling Windows
                              Updates, just to ensure no Windows patches or other updates were getting in
                              the way. Same problem.

                              The FH Support technician I talked to today said it might be a licensing
                              issue. Perhaps this particular FHC has not yet been licensed to use Heritage
                              Quest Online. Granted, this FHC has not yet used that site. However, I am
                              surprised that it has not yet been licensed to use the site. I assumed that
                              was automatic.

                              So now I have to wait until Monday, and call again.

                              Rats.
                              Dana in Council Bluffs
                            • Lynn Shaw
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jun 5, 2008
                                Reimaging the system again... Ouch. WAY overkill.

                                The review process happens quarterly, and it has not been automated
                                yet because of other issues that have taken precedence.

                                If all of the sites on the FHC Services Portal work except for
                                Heritage Quest Online, then everything on the computer is
                                functioning correctly.

                                To find out if that center has been granted access to Heritage Quest
                                Online yet, just shoot an email to support@..., with
                                the center's FHC ID number, and ask if that center has been granted
                                access yet or not.

                                Once the Headquarters Support team gets the case that gets
                                automatically created, its a simple matter for them to look at
                                a "htpasswd.heritage" link and see if that center's ID is listed
                                there or not, to know if the center should have access.

                                Hope this helps.

                                Lynn

                                --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, "Dana Repouille" <drepouille@...>
                                wrote:

                                > I am working on an hp compaq d530s in a small FHC in rural Iowa. I
                                wiped the
                                > system, and installed the latest XP Family History image (2006).
                                After
                                > installing the image, I upgraded LANDesk to the latest version,
                                and ran all
                                > the scans necessary to register this system with the LANDesk
                                server. I
                                > downloaded and installed the security certificates, and ran the
                                FHC Portal
                                > Config program.
                                >
                                > I can access all the sites from the portal, but Heritage Quest
                                Online is
                                > asking for a username and password. When I called FHC Support last
                                Wednesday
                                > night, the tech couldn't figure out why Heritage Quest was not
                                accepting the
                                > certificate.
                                >
                                > To be safe and sure, I wiped the system again, this time disabling
                                Windows
                                > Updates, just to ensure no Windows patches or other updates were
                                getting in
                                > the way. Same problem.
                                >
                                > The FH Support technician I talked to today said it might be a
                                licensing
                                > issue. Perhaps this particular FHC has not yet been licensed to
                                use Heritage
                                > Quest Online. Granted, this FHC has not yet used that site.
                                However, I am
                                > surprised that it has not yet been licensed to use the site. I
                                assumed that
                                > was automatic.
                                >
                                > So now I have to wait until Monday, and call again.
                                >
                                > Rats.
                                > Dana in Council Bluffs

                              • Lynn Shaw
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jun 5, 2008
                                  First paragraph on the FHC Services Portal states, "Welcome to the
                                  Family History Center Services online portal. Please bookmark this
                                  site and direct patrons to always use the bookmark to access these
                                  resources. These services (except FamilyLink) require that they be
                                  accessed via this Family History Center Services Portal."

                                  If you are not using the https://www.fhc.familysearch.org/ website
                                  to access the links to the sites available via the portal, then you
                                  will have intermittent connectivity. When the
                                  https://www.fhc.familysearch.org/ website is accessed, it registers
                                  the center's security certificate with the public IP address of your
                                  center. This registration lasts a week. Once the the registration
                                  expires, or your public IP address changes (which happens when your
                                  IP address is allocated dynamically), you will no longer be able to
                                  access any of the sites until you visit the
                                  https://www.fhc.familysearch.org/ website again.

                                  Does that help?

                                  Lynn

                                  --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, geneamom@... wrote:

                                  > I can't get to the bottom of what keeps happening.
                                  >
                                  > I set up the portal sites on all of our computers a month or so
                                  ago. They worked fine for the first few days, but every time I come
                                  into the FHC lately there are notes left for me that they couldn't
                                  access. It's periodically happened to me.

                                  > Came in tonight with the intention of writing down the exact
                                  message we get. It wasn't working at first, but I figured I'd do
                                  all the film processing first, then deal with this problem. Now I
                                  go to see what the message is and all the computers will link to the
                                  pages.

                                  > Is there something in particular that randomly makes the links
                                  work then not work?

                                  > Thanks for any tips. The librarians are getting a little
                                  frustrated with this and I can't give them a concrete answer on the
                                  reason.

                                  > Patty Gaddis
                                  > Exeter, NH FHC

                                • Lynn Shaw
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jun 5, 2008
                                    Sorry... I'm combining answers to a couple of different posts into
                                    the same response.

                                    > >Last time I checked, clicking on the link for the Godfrey Memorial
                                    > >Library takes you there, but doesn't log you in. How are patrons
                                    > >supposed to know to log in, as they don't have to for other sites?

                                    Godfrey Memorial Library is only willing to provide the free access
                                    to family history centers as long as they get an opportunity to
                                    advertise their services to patrons. We already made a request to
                                    simplify the steps to access those pages and Godfrey made it MUCH
                                    simpler. (There used to be about 6 different steps/links that had
                                    to be navigated to gain access before the simplification.)
                                    Unfortunately, the steps that remain are not negotiable.

                                    > Okay, so basically it sounds as though setting up the individual
                                    > links on the desktop was not the best thing to do.

                                    Nope, its not recommended to do it this way. See the post I made
                                    about 15 minutes ago on why patrons need to go to the Portal to
                                    access these sites.

                                    > But, it was not recommended we make the portal available to
                                    patrons.

                                    I'm not sure why that's your understanding, as it is definitely
                                    recommended that these services be made available to patrons.

                                    > Can anyone from SLC comment on how we are supposed to be making
                                    this work? Or, do I need to keep going in every month and resetting
                                    the certificates on all 8 computers? If that is what the problem is.

                                    LANDesk should be automatically updating the certificate every 2
                                    weeks, so you should never have to update them manually. If this
                                    functionality is not working, please contact FamilySearch Support
                                    for assistance. In the United States, call 1 866 406-1830, hit
                                    option 4, explain that you need assistance with the FHC Services
                                    Portal's certificate being automatically updated, give them your
                                    contact information, write down the case number they give you, and
                                    then you should be escalated to the Headquarters Support team.

                                    > >Access to these sites isn't as simple as I expect it to be. Can
                                    it to be made simpler?
                                    > >I'd like direct access to the sites without using the portal, and
                                    I'd like all sites to auto login.
                                    > >Simple internet browsing is hard enough for some patrons. It
                                    doesn't need to be harder.

                                    If you have constructive suggestions, please feel free to make
                                    them. Great effort went into the Portal implementation. We tried
                                    very hard to make it as simple as possible while trying to meet all
                                    of the security requirements and other restrictions that were in
                                    place.

                                    I hope these answers help.

                                    Lynn
                                  • Lynn Shaw
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jun 5, 2008
                                      The link to Heritage Quest Online is only displayed if your center is
                                      authorized to access that site.

                                      wrote:

                                      > I set up Internet Explorer with three tabs as a home page.
                                      > Tab 1 goes to https://new.familysearch.org
                                      > Tab 2 goes to https://www.fhc.familysearch.org
                                      > Tab 3 goes to http://www.ancestryinstitution.com
                                      >
                                      > The problem I am seeing is that on Tab 2, the FHC portal, there is
                                      no longer
                                      > a link to Heritage Quest.
                                      >
                                      > Dana in Council Bluffs
                                      >
                                      > _____
                                    • Lynn Shaw
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jun 5, 2008
                                        Dan,

                                        This is an EXCELLENT suggestion!

                                        --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <dvester@...> wrote:

                                        > At our FHC, I put shortcut links on the desktop for each of the
                                        portal
                                        > resources, labeled like 'World Vital Records', 'Godfrey Library',
                                        etc. but
                                        > rather than pointing them directly at those resources, it points
                                        to the
                                        > portal itself. This method lets/reminds patrons and staff know
                                        that these
                                        > resources are available, but teaches them that they must go
                                        through the
                                        > portal to get to them. So far it seems to be working good.
                                        >
                                        > Dan Vester, STS
                                        > Prescott Arizona FHC

                                      • Dana Repouille
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jun 6, 2008
                                          Correct. However, the support technician who helped me the first time I
                                          called did not know that. He said, "Something is blocking the certificate,
                                          but I don't know what." He had me uninstall IE 7. When that didn't work, he
                                          suggested I wipe the system and reinstall the Family History XP image.

                                          The support technician I got on my second call knew exactly what the problem
                                          was.

                                          Thanks,
                                          Dana

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jun 6, 2008
                                            Have the support person's name so I can make sure they get the
                                            additional training they need?

                                            wrote:

                                            > Correct. However, the support technician who helped me the first
                                            time I
                                            > called did not know that. He said, "Something is blocking the
                                            certificate,
                                            > but I don't know what." He had me uninstall IE 7. When that didn't
                                            work, he
                                            > suggested I wipe the system and reinstall the Family History XP
                                            image.

                                            > The support technician I got on my second call knew exactly what
                                            the problem
                                            > was.
                                            >
                                            > Thanks,
                                            > Dana

                                            Behalf Of

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jun 6, 2008
                                              Thank you, Lynn.  I did go into the FHC Tuesday night and the computers were all linking.  But, still called the help line to ask why it was intermittent and told that we needed to only use the portal page.  So, I'm setting each computer up to have each link I set up go to the portal page.  This way the patrons will see on the desktop what we have access to.

                                              I can't find it, but I thought a while back we had received an e-mail telling us not to make the portal page available to patrons.  Guess it just meant for them not to use at home.  I misunderstand the intent of the comment.

                                              All is working fine now (or at least from Tuesday to last night for us :-) )  Thanks for responding.

                                              Patty
                                              Exeter, NH FHC

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jun 6, 2008
                                                It is possible that you have confused the LANDesk Software Distribution
                                                Portal with the Family History Center Services online portal.

                                                Just guessing.
                                                Dana

                                                ________________________________

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jun 6, 2008
                                                  On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 8:24 PM, Lynn Shaw <shawlh@...> wrote:

                                                  > If you are not using the https://www.fhc.familysearch.org/ website
                                                  > to access the links to the sites available via the portal, then you
                                                  > will have intermittent connectivity. When the
                                                  > https://www.fhc.familysearch.org/ website is accessed, it registers
                                                  > the center's security certificate with the public IP address of your
                                                  > center. This registration lasts a week. Once the the registration
                                                  > expires, or your public IP address changes (which happens when your
                                                  > IP address is allocated dynamically), you will no longer be able to
                                                  > access any of the sites until you visit the
                                                  > https://www.fhc.familysearch.org/ website again.
                                                  >
                                                  > Does that help?

                                                  Thanks Lynn. That does help understand what's going on.
                                                • Patty Gaddis
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Jun 6, 2008
                                                    Finally found why I was thinking we weren't supposed to give patrons
                                                    access to the portal page. Someone from the list had given
                                                    instructions on how they set their sites up and it stated they didn't
                                                    feel we should give access to the patrons from that page (not that
                                                    SLC had said not to). At that time I was overwhelmed with e-mails
                                                    and had picked selective e-mails to use later when setting ours up
                                                    and this was the one I used. Hence, I set up the sites with their
                                                    own individual icons and direct links.

                                                    Sorry for any confusion I may have added to this discussion.

                                                    Patty