XP SP3

  • Dana Repouille
    Message 1 of 10 , May 17, 2008
      I have installed Windows XP SP3 on the computers in our stake FHC. I'm not
      sure if it is worth my time and trouble to install SP3 in the other four
      FHCs in my stake.

      On clerk administrative computers, Automatic Updates are disabled in the
      Desktop 5.5 image. So I assume the folks at HQ do not want us to download
      and install any Windows Updates.

      Opinions?

      Dana in Council Bluffs
    • Don L. Blanchard

        Message 3 of 10 , May 17, 2008

          There was an issue with one specific (not very common and highly unlikely to be used in a local Church setting) Microsoft program that affected SP3 for a few days, but that’s behind us and there is no reason to avoid XP3.  In fact, as most of the collected updates are security-related, there are compelling reasons to go ahead.

          We installed it as soon as it was available throughout the FHC.  It’s an easy install; no negative issues whatever.  It’s much simpler if you download the entire SP3 update file and simply run that instead of  trying to do the interactive download for every machine.

          As for Dana’s specific question:

          I wouldn’t assume that SLC put much rational thought into how the update switches are set in the disc image they distribute.  I have the automatic updates off on all our equipment—but that doesn’t mean that I don’t install updates as soon as they are available (and assuming they have something to do with how we use the equipment).

          All the best,

          David Wardell

          McLean Virginia FHC

          Message 4 of 10 , May 17, 2008
            On the clerk's computer, Windows Update "has been disabled by the
            Administrator."

            Message 5 of 10 , May 17, 2008
              I have installed SP3 on 7 computers so far. On one I had to correct some
              registry permissions to get it to complete, but the rest were flawless, and
              none have had any post-installation issues.

              If the installation does not complete and you get an "access is denied"
              error message, follow the steps here:
              http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

              > There appears to be some problems with the recently released Service
              > Pack 3. I would recommend holding off on that one until more
              > information is available.
              >
              > Don in Cedar City
              >

              > At 10:48 AM 5/17/2008, you wrote:
              >
              >>I have installed Windows XP SP3 on the computers in our stake FHC. I'm not
              >>sure if it is worth my time and trouble to install SP3 in the other four
              >>FHCs in my stake.
              >>
              >>On clerk administrative computers, Automatic Updates are disabled in the
              >>Desktop 5.5 image. So I assume the folks at HQ do not want us to download
              >>and install any Windows Updates.
              >>
              >>Opinions?
              >>
              >>Dana in Council Bluffs

            • David Wardell
              Message 6 of 10 , May 17, 2008

                That’s probably what it would say under one of the “non-administrator” accounts if the switch was turned off in the control panel by the administrator.  I’m not sure it makes any difference how SLC turned automatic updates off—whether simply by setting the switch in the control panel or if they used the system policy editor.  I have my updates turned off so that I can review what is installed and control the timing (especially Window’s irritating need to reboot at inconvenient times)—but I install the updates just the same.

                Despite what we occasionally hear, it strikes me as bad practice all around to not keep reasonably abreast with updates.  By no means are all of them trivial or unnecessary.

                With best regards,

                David Wardell

                Mclean Virginia FHC

                Message 7 of 10 , May 18, 2008
                  On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 8:25 PM, David Wardell
                  <fhc_lists@...> wrote:

                  > Despite what we occasionally hear, it strikes me as bad practice all around
                  > to not keep reasonably abreast with updates. By no means are all of them
                  > trivial or unnecessary.

                  At the same time care must be taken to make sure that they don't
                  interfere with mission-critical applications. I think the risk for
                  FHC machines are fairly low and any fixes would have to be done on the
                  servers.

                  But MLS is at greater risk and if that can't run, then the ward
                  computer is just about useless. Fixes have to be tested and may
                  require someone downloading from the mls website to fix it. Before
                  the machines could be connected to the Internet, the risk of infection
                  was quite low even if the patches were out of date.
                • Dana Repouille
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 18, 2008
                    I am using an Administrator-group Windows account, and I get the "disabled" message when I go to Control Panel, Security Center, and click on the Windows Update link. So it must have been disabled in the Registry. We did not install SP2 onto clerk computers until HQ explicitly told us to do so.

                    Dana

                    Message 9 of 10 , May 18, 2008

                      Well,

                      If they’re being that specific then it sounds as though they’ll likely get around to telling you to proceed.  Hopefully they won’t wait too long.

                      DW

                      Message 10 of 10 , May 18, 2008

                        The Internet is a wonderful thing—especially on meetinghouse computers.

                        I don’t recall that Microsoft bothered to send out updates prior to near universal connectivity (except for the single usability enhancement to Windows 3).

                        DW