Re: Family History Centers on Ubuntu

  • ldsskier
    Message 1 of 19 , May 16, 2008
      If you do, please make an .iso available for other FHCs to play with.

      --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, "Marion Smith" <marionsmith_98@...> wrote:

      > Oh, I like this idea! I had never considered this before. Patron-proof
      > is a good thing! My temple district is switching to the new temple
      > ready program now. With PAF working under Wine and the new
      > FamilySearch it could be possible that an FHC computer could run Linux.
      >
      > I might try the live disk idea.
      >

      > --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, "Skier" <ldsskier@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Things would be much easier with linux - the church could image a
      > live CD
      > > and then the FHCs could use machines that have no hard drives. No
      more
      > > playing with deep freeze or similar, the most failure-prone part
      of the
      > > system is eliminated (the church would save tens of thousands of
      dollars
      > > on electric bills at least), there would be less of a load on cooling
      > > systems (on economies of this scale little bits of saving here and
      there
      > > really add up), and the systems would be absolutely patron-proof.

    • Marion Smith
      Message 2 of 19 , May 19, 2008
        Ancestral Quest is only a web site right?

        Doesn't the new.familysearch.org replace the need for PAF Insight?

        --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, Clinton Stimpson <cjstimpson@...> wrote:

        > You could add Ancestral Quest and PAF Insight to that live disk.
        >
        > Clint
        >
        > > Oh, I like this idea! I had never considered this before.
        Patron-proof
        > > is a good thing! My temple district is switching to the new temple
        > > ready program now. With PAF working under Wine and the new
        > > FamilySearch it could be possible that an FHC computer could run
        Linux.

        > > I might try the live disk idea.

      • John Vilburn
        Message 3 of 19 , May 19, 2008
          Ancestral Quest and FamilyInsight (the new PAF Insight) will both allow you to do two way synchronization between your PAF file and the new FamilySearch.

          Aloha,
          John