Family History Centers on Ubuntu

  • Marion Smith
    Message 1 of 19 , May 2, 2008
      I was hoping to get a feel for what other FHC technicians (computer
      experianced persons) think of the idea of switching FHCs (the whole
      church for that matter) to Linux (I lean toward Ubuntu)?

      The reasons I think we should consider it:
      The cost is low (or nothing).
      Members to do the same at home with spending money.
      Most family search work is migrating to the web anyway.
      We could promote OpenOffice.
      Members are spending money to upgrade MS Office to stay current.
      Not even Office 2007 is compatable with Office 2003.
      Ubuntu can run on lower grade machines.
      Most church software is already portable (I think MLS is written in Java).
      The open source community would help to port PAF to Java or Python.
      The chuch in the third world could be on exactly the same software as
      in the US.
      Members in the third world are more likely to be able to get a machine
      to run Linux that Windows.
      We wouldn't be beholding to MS.
      The course that MS is taking Windows and Office is not good.
      Linux and open source is more in keeping with the Mormon spirit of
      do-it-yourself.

      Do you think this is a good idea?
      Do you I should create a Yahoo group to further this idea?
      Message 2 of 19 , May 2, 2008
        What applications do you run in your FHC other then a Internet
        browser? If you don't have any, you are missing out.

        How will you get them (or some facsimile) to run on a Linux machine?

        Message 3 of 19 , May 2, 2008
          Along with the application issue that Russell mentions, there is a major
          issue with lack of widespread understanding of Linux. I suspect there are
          not very many wards and stakes with sufficient personnel with Linux
          experience in order to support the computers. As this list shows, it is
          often tough enough to find people who understand Windows.

          >I was hoping to get a feel for what other FHC technicians (computer
          > experianced persons) think of the idea of switching FHCs (the whole
          > church for that matter) to Linux (I lean toward Ubuntu)?
          >
          > The reasons I think we should consider it:
          > The cost is low (or nothing).
          > Members to do the same at home with spending money.
          > Most family search work is migrating to the web anyway.
          > We could promote OpenOffice.
          > Members are spending money to upgrade MS Office to stay current.
          > Not even Office 2007 is compatable with Office 2003.
          > Ubuntu can run on lower grade machines.
          > Most church software is already portable (I think MLS is written in Java).
          > The open source community would help to port PAF to Java or Python.
          > The chuch in the third world could be on exactly the same software as
          > in the US.
          > Members in the third world are more likely to be able to get a machine
          > to run Linux that Windows.
          > We wouldn't be beholding to MS.
          > The course that MS is taking Windows and Office is not good.
          > Linux and open source is more in keeping with the Mormon spirit of
          > do-it-yourself.
          >
          > Do you think this is a good idea?
          > Do you I should create a Yahoo group to further this idea?

        • Skier
          Message 4 of 19 , May 2, 2008
            On Fri, May 2, 2008 3:31 pm, Marion Smith wrote:

            > Do you think this is a good idea?

            I think it is an excellent idea - it would save tens of millions of dollars.

            > Do you I should create a Yahoo group to further this idea?

            No. Salt Lake has spoken: the systems will remain on the Microsoft
            platform. Period.
          • Bob Hegerich
            Message 5 of 19 , May 2, 2008
              Hi Marion:

              The UNIX/LINUX vs Windows debate may not be as old as I am, but it goes back at least 20 years.  Rather than rehash it here, let me simply put in my two cents worth and say that, IMHO, what you suggest is a very bad idea.

              -----Bob H-----

              Message 6 of 19 , May 2, 2008
                Message
                Bad idea... and I'm a linux person.

                Dan Vester,
                STS Prescott Arizona FHC

[...]

                http://www.eset.com
              • Clinton Stimpson
                Message 7 of 19 , May 3, 2008
                  I read the other responses, and thought Marion would like a longer
                  dialogue than a simple no.

                  > I was hoping to get a feel for what other FHC technicians (computer
                  > experianced persons) think of the idea of switching FHCs (the whole
                  >church for that matter) to Linux (I lean toward Ubuntu)?

                  > The reasons I think we should consider it:
                  > The cost is low (or nothing).

                  The FHC is provided with software without having to pay for it
                  (including Windows licenses).

                  > Members to do the same at home with spending money.

                  I do my genealogy on Linux just fine. An FHC on Linux isn't required.

                  > Most family search work is migrating to the web anyway.

                  But there's still enough that I want to use in an FHC that hasn't been
                  migrated.

                  > We could promote OpenOffice.
                  > Members are spending money to upgrade MS Office to stay current.
                  > Not even Office 2007 is compatable with Office 2003.

                  Our FHC already uses OpenOffice on Windows.

                  > Ubuntu can run on lower grade machines.
                  > Most church software is already portable (I think MLS is written in
                  Java).
                  > The open source community would help to port PAF to Java or Python.

                  There's already PAF on Linux via Wine, and Gramps, and some others that
                  are OS neutral.

                  > The chuch in the third world could be on exactly the same software as
                  > in the US.
                  > Members in the third world are more likely to be able to get a machine
                  > to run Linux that Windows.
                  > We wouldn't be beholding to MS.
                  > The course that MS is taking Windows and Office is not good.
                  > Linux and open source is more in keeping with the Mormon spirit of
                  > do-it-yourself.

                  > Do you think this is a good idea?

                  Our stake doesn't have many Linux experts. That's less of a problem
                  outside the US.
                  My main reason for a Linux server is that it requires less of my time
                  when it comes to taking care of the FHC computers. But giving Linux to
                  the patrons in my stake wouldn't be very nice.

                  > Do you I should create a Yahoo group to further this idea?

                  How about a group that isn't limited to just raw Linux on Patron-used
                  computers, but a variety of technologies that help reduce the cost
                  (including time to maintain computers) of an FHC, taking into
                  consideration the large amounts of software that is Windows only.

                  I think using virtualization technology could help reduce the hardware,
                  software, and man-power costs. It could also work well with older
                  donated computers. I think it has been asked before how Landesk would
                  work in that environment, but I'm curious if anyone has actually done
                  this. I almost did it a while back, but that was during the infancy of
                  virtualization technology, and before landesk came into our FHC.

                  Clint
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 3, 2008
                    I'll add a few more items.

                    First, given the way the church hands out windows licenses (in images)
                    along with their historical strict observance of copyright law leads
                    me to believe that they have a site license for Windows for all their
                    computers. FHCs only make up a portion of all the computers used by
                    the church. As such, I think many over estimate the cost to the
                    church of using Windows.

                    Second, the Church seems to be moving toward more centralized support
                    if not control of the machines. For example LANDesk. I suspect the
                    tools and programs to provide such management and support are less
                    developed on other platforms. Or to put it another way, the Church's
                    IT needs mirror Enterprise IT needs for management and control. Given
                    the lack of large enterprises that use Linux as a desktop, I seriously
                    doubt if the tools and expertise is out there. Good enterprise tools
                    saves on employee costs. Employee support costs can easily dwarf any
                    license costs.

                    Third, because of the church's reliance on local member support, the
                    fact that patron computers are used by a broad group of users, and the
                    need to run 3rd party programs, the church needs to follow the trend.
                    It's not in a position to lead it much less be a catalyst of change.

                    The logical place for Linux right now is at the server level. Windows
                    Professional has a limit of 10 connections. For larger FHCs with more
                    machines, this is a problem. As far as I know, the church isn't
                    handing out server licenses. Since servers are rarely touched by
                    anyone other then the support person and are not currently managed by
                    the Church, they avoid all the issues I pointed out above.
                  • Marion Smith
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 7, 2008
                      I can see I am out numbered so I will concede the point.

                      I just don't think (with Microsoft moving to Vista and their new
                      harsher license agreements) that we should stay in the Microsoft camp.

                      I have gotten no benefit from the LANDesk stuff. I still have
                      computers that don't have anti-virus because no one from LANDesk has
                      gotten around to installing it. And all the machines that had the old
                      anti-virus (I forget its name) don't work anymore because the church
                      has canceled that license (at least I get an error message to that
                      affect when the software attempts to download updates).

                      As for not enough support for Enterprise IT, I suspect that isn't
                      true. There are plenty of businesses and governments using Linux (on
                      the desktop) in other countries (like France) that we can probably
                      find what we need (or create it ourselves).

                      But the most important point to me is almost anyone can afford a
                      Linux computer. If only the software they want to run (like PAF)
                      would run on it. With efforts like Asus EEE PC, Everex's Cloudbook,
                      or just a used desktop, you can get a working Linux computer. While
                      any Windows computer will continually have hidden expenses that drive
                      an expensive computer even higher in cost (the continual cost of
                      updating and upgrading).

                      With that said, I will shut up now. I won't bring it up again, I
                      promise.
                    • Skier
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 7, 2008
                        Things would be much easier with linux - the church could image a live CD
                        and then the FHCs could use machines that have no hard drives. No more
                        playing with deep freeze or similar, the most failure-prone part of the
                        system is eliminated (the church would save tens of thousands of dollars
                        on electric bills at least), there would be less of a load on cooling
                        systems (on economies of this scale little bits of saving here and there
                        really add up), and the systems would be absolutely patron-proof.
                      • simonsen
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 7, 2008
                          Just a note. You install Landesk and you install the Symantec Antivirus
                          by downloading it free from
                          Salt Lake. They do not install. If you do not have the up to date
                          antivirus on your machines it is your
                          fault not their fault. I would suggest talking to Salt Lake and doing
                          your part in getting
                          your machines up to date.

                          Message 12 of 19 , May 7, 2008
                            LANDesk does push some programs down automatically. I'm not sure if
                            Symantec AV is one of them. Being impatient, I didn't wait and did it
                            manually.

                            However, there's must be a learning curve with LANDesk, because I've
                            seen where LANDesk fails to update itself.

                            Message 13 of 19 , May 7, 2008
                              I won't say it won't happen - some day. But the time is not yet.
                              Linux needs to become more mainstream first.
                            • Marion Smith
                              Message 14 of 19 , May 14, 2008
                                Now that is interesting. No one has told me this. The only training I
                                got was, "install LandDesk". And as for SL not installing Symantec,
                                they did something, because I had all machines installed with the old
                                anti-virus and then I came in one day and three of the machines had
                                the old software removed and Symantec on them with passwords I didn't
                                have.

                                --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, simonsen <simonsen@...> wrote:

                                > Just a note. You install Landesk and you install the Symantec
                                Antivirus
                                > by downloading it free from
                                > Salt Lake. They do not install. If you do not have the up to date
                                > antivirus on your machines it is your
                                > fault not their fault. I would suggest talking to Salt Lake and
                                doing
                                > your part in getting
                                > your machines up to date.
                                >

                                > Marion Smith wrote:
                                > >
                                > > I can see I am out numbered so I will concede the point.
                                > >
                                > > I just don't think (with Microsoft moving to Vista and their new
                                > > harsher license agreements) that we should stay in the Microsoft camp.
                                > >
                                > > I have gotten no benefit from the LANDesk stuff. I still have
                                > > computers that don't have anti-virus because no one from LANDesk has
                                > > gotten around to installing it. And all the machines that had the old
                                > > anti-virus (I forget its name) don't work anymore because the church
                                > > has canceled that license (at least I get an error message to that
                                > > affect when the software attempts to download updates).
                                > >
                                > > As for not enough support for Enterprise IT, I suspect that isn't
                                > > true. There are plenty of businesses and governments using Linux (on
                                > > the desktop) in other countries (like France) that we can probably
                                > > find what we need (or create it ourselves).
                                > >
                                > > But the most important point to me is almost anyone can afford a
                                > > Linux computer. If only the software they want to run (like PAF)
                                > > would run on it. With efforts like Asus EEE PC, Everex's Cloudbook,
                                > > or just a used desktop, you can get a working Linux computer. While
                                > > any Windows computer will continually have hidden expenses that drive
                                > > an expensive computer even higher in cost (the continual cost of
                                > > updating and upgrading).
                                > >
                                > > With that said, I will shut up now. I won't bring it up again, I
                                > > promise.

                              • Marion Smith
                                Message 15 of 19 , May 14, 2008
                                  Oh, I like this idea! I had never considered this before. Patron-proof
                                  is a good thing! My temple district is switching to the new temple
                                  ready program now. With PAF working under Wine and the new
                                  FamilySearch it could be possible that an FHC computer could run Linux.

                                  I might try the live disk idea.

                                  Message 16 of 19 , May 15, 2008
                                    You could add Ancestral Quest and PAF Insight to that live disk.

                                    Clint

                                    > Oh, I like this idea! I had never considered this before. Patron-proof
                                    > is a good thing! My temple district is switching to the new temple
                                    > ready program now. With PAF working under Wine and the new
                                    > FamilySearch it could be possible that an FHC computer could run Linux.
                                    >
                                    > I might try the live disk idea.
                                  • ldsskier
                                    Message 17 of 19 , May 16, 2008
                                      If you do, please make an .iso available for other FHCs to play with.

                                      Message 18 of 19 , May 19, 2008
                                        Ancestral Quest is only a web site right?

                                        Doesn't the new.familysearch.org replace the need for PAF Insight?

                                        --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, Clinton Stimpson <cjstimpson@...> wrote:

                                        > You could add Ancestral Quest and PAF Insight to that live disk.
                                        >
                                        > Clint
                                        >
                                        > > Oh, I like this idea! I had never considered this before.
                                        Patron-proof
                                        > > is a good thing! My temple district is switching to the new temple
                                        > > ready program now. With PAF working under Wine and the new
                                        > > FamilySearch it could be possible that an FHC computer could run
                                        Linux.

                                        > > I might try the live disk idea.

                                      • John Vilburn
                                        Message 19 of 19 , May 19, 2008
                                          Ancestral Quest and FamilyInsight (the new PAF Insight) will both allow you to do two way synchronization between your PAF file and the new FamilySearch.

                                          Aloha,
                                          John