WinXP and Win2000

  • Patty Gaddis
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 2, 2008
      Hi all,

      Am having a problem with getting a refurbished computer SLC sent us
      that has WinXP working on our network. We had to do some moving
      around of drives as it was to replace our "server" computer with all
      the data CD's loaded. Luckily it was big enough for two more drives in it.

      Anyway, the problem is I can't seem to get the Viewer programs to
      work under patron unless the patron is set to be an
      administrator. I've got folders shared, everything seems to be set
      up the same as the other Win2000 computers on our system, but this is
      the only workaround I can find. I really don't want to leave it this
      way and know there must be something I'm missing here.

      One of the drives we brought over has the Win2000 system on it. But,
      we have it working as a slave.

      I did notice last night that another computer in our network that is
      also WinXP seems to work fine under patron mode. But, can't find any
      differences between the two as to why one works and one doesn't.

      Any help would be appreciated.

      Thanks in advance.

      Patty
      Exeter, NH FHC
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 2, 2008
        What viewer?

        Are you demoting "Patron" to "User" or "Power User"?

        The biggest difference between Win2000 and WinXP is that by default
        Win2000 didn't set any rights on the hard drive. It let anyone do
        anything.

        WinXP by default sets more restrictive rights. For example, only
        Admin and Power User can change things in C:\Program Files.

        On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 4:47 AM, Patty Gaddis <geneamom@...> wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > Am having a problem with getting a refurbished computer SLC sent us
        > that has WinXP working on our network. We had to do some moving
        > around of drives as it was to replace our "server" computer with all
        > the data CD's loaded. Luckily it was big enough for two more drives in it.
        >
        > Anyway, the problem is I can't seem to get the Viewer programs to
        > work under patron unless the patron is set to be an
        > administrator. I've got folders shared, everything seems to be set
        > up the same as the other Win2000 computers on our system, but this is
        > the only workaround I can find. I really don't want to leave it this
        > way and know there must be something I'm missing here.
        >
        > One of the drives we brought over has the Win2000 system on it. But,
        > we have it working as a slave.
        >
        > I did notice last night that another computer in our network that is
        > also WinXP seems to work fine under patron mode. But, can't find any
        > differences between the two as to why one works and one doesn't.
        >
        > Any help would be appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks in advance.
        >
        > Patty
        > Exeter, NH FHC

      • Patty Gaddis
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 2, 2008
          Thank you, Russell.

          The viewer is the one for running the census (1880 US, 1881 Canadian, Mormon Records, etc).  I installed version 4.0 the newest.

          As for whether user or power user I'm not sure.  I'll have to check that.  Will be going to town tonight and get back to the group.

          Patty
          At 03:22 PM 4/2/2008, you wrote:

          What viewer?

          Are you demoting "Patron" to "User" or "Power User"?

          The biggest difference between Win2000 and WinXP is that by default
          Win2000 didn't set any rights on the hard drive. It let anyone do
          anything.

          WinXP by default sets more restrictive rights. For example, only
          Admin and Power User can change things in C:\Program Files.

          On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 4:47 AM, Patty Gaddis <geneamom@...> wrote:
          > Hi all,
          >
          > Am having a problem with getting a refurbished computer SLC sent us
          > that has WinXP working on our network. We had to do some moving
          > around of drives as it was to replace our "server" computer with all
          > the data CD's loaded. Luckily it was big enough for two more drives in it.
          >
          > Anyway, the problem is I can't seem to get the Viewer programs to
          > work under patron unless the patron is set to be an
          > administrator. I've got folders shared, everything seems to be set
          > up the same as the other Win2000 computers on our system, but this is
          > the only workaround I can find. I really don't want to leave it this
          > way and know there must be something I'm missing here.
          >
          > One of the drives we brought over has the Win2000 system on it. But,
          > we have it working as a slave.
          >
          > I did notice last night that another computer in our network that is
          > also WinXP seems to work fine under patron mode. But, can't find any
          > differences between the two as to why one works and one doesn't.
          >
          > Any help would be appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks in advance.
          >
          > Patty
          > Exeter, NH FHC

        • merloutre
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 5, 2008
            Okay, Russell or anyone. I'm at the FHC now. This is WinXP
            Professional, but only has options of Administrator or Limited for user
            types. This is under Settings > Control Panel > Users Accounts.

            Now what?

            Thanks, Patty

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 5, 2008
              That tool is rather crude. For a better tool, right click "My
              Computer". Select "Manage".

              On the left hand side, expand "Local Users and Groups"

              Go to the "Users" folder Double click on "Patron"

              In the "Member Of" tab, What are they a member of? In this tool you
              can make them part of "Administrators", "Power Users" or "Users". I
              think by default, SLC ships the images with Patron as a "Power Users".
              I put them in "Users" but then I have to do a fair amount of tweaking
              it get it to run.

              On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 5:15 AM, merloutre <geneamom@...> wrote:
              > Okay, Russell or anyone. I'm at the FHC now. This is WinXP
              > Professional, but only has options of Administrator or Limited for user
              > types. This is under Settings > Control Panel > Users Accounts.
              >
              > Now what?
              >
              > Thanks, Patty
              > --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, Patty Gaddis <geneamom@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Thank you, Russell.
              > >
              > > The viewer is the one for running the census (1880 US, 1881 Canadian,
              > > Mormon Records, etc). I installed version 4.0 the newest.
              > >
              > > As for whether user or power user I'm not sure. I'll have to check
              > > that. Will be going to town tonight and get back to the group.
              > >
              > > Patty

            • register
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 9, 2008

                I am having a problem with image wizard.  The program scans just fine and I get a thumbnail image.  If I double click on the thumbnail I have the ability to make some adjustments – rotate, bright/dark, contrast.  So I make some adjustments and click ‘save and close’.  The rotation holds but the bright/dark and contrast does not.  That is, I am unable to alter the brightness at this point.  My object is to improve the image prior to printing or saving to a file.    Does anyone else have this problem.  More importantly – is there a solution?

                Eric

              • register
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 9, 2008

                  The scanner (Canon MS 300) is working well for us except for a dark spot on the left of the screen and image.  I have changed lenses and cleaned lenses and the dark stain returns.  It may be heat related.  Any ideas?  Could this stain be from one of the mirrors, lenses in the light path?

                  Eric

                • Patty Gaddis
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 11, 2008
                    Not sure if you've gotten a response or not yet, but it might be your lightbulb.  Have you taken it out and looked for scoring or pitting on the reflector surface?

                    Patty

                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 12, 2008

                      Good suggestion – I have.  I have even swapped bulb apparatus between scanners and problem remains.   Yesterday, I was determined to trace this problem so I turned on the scanner and waited for the smudge to appear.  It seems to be heat related.  It never appeared.  Go figure.

                      Eric & Marnie Abell

                      Saanichton, BC, Canada

                      (250) 652 4616

                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 12, 2008