Deployment Portal Password

  • si02x
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 25, 2008
      Hey all,

      Can someone tell me why on some of our machines I get a id/password
      prompt when trying to use the deployment portal and others I'm able to
      get right to the home page of the portal.

      Also, what is the average time for downloading, Map my Family Tree?
      The download just seems to loop and never finish. Am i doing something
      incorrectly.

      tia

      John
      Fairbanks AK FHC
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 25, 2008
        I assume you're talking about www.fhc.familysearch.org? I've never
        seen a id/password, just certificate stuff if I'm out of date on that.

        On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 7:12 PM, si02x <akjtr@...> wrote:
        > Hey all,
        >
        > Can someone tell me why on some of our machines I get a id/password
        > prompt when trying to use the deployment portal and others I'm able to
        > get right to the home page of the portal.
        >
        > Also, what is the average time for downloading, Map my Family Tree?
        > The download just seems to loop and never finish. Am i doing something
        > incorrectly.
        >
        > tia
        >
        > John
        > Fairbanks AK FHC

      • fhc director
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 26, 2008
          Lewiston, Idaho also has the user name/password problem.

          Hope someone has an answer

          Jerry

          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 26, 2008
            Perhaps you could explain on a click-by-click basis exactly what the problem
            is and where the error pops up.

            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 26, 2008
              Sure - I'm at work so i'll do my best to remember exactly.

              Start>Lan Desk>Lan Desk Deployment Portal

              Here I get a id/password prompt on 2 machines and on another the web
              page loads with no credential check. I was able to download the FHC(?)
              Favorites folder but was unsuccessful downloading anything else, on
              the one machine. Hope this helps if not I'll call the help desk on
              Friday when I'm at the library.

              Tia

              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 26, 2008
                Because of the way I have my machines set up, I can only see that when
                I'm loggin in as Administrator. So I've never tried to do that as
                "Patron". Perhaps that's the issue?

                The Lan Desk Deployment Portal is not something that Patrons need to use.

                On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 10:07 AM, si02x <akjtr@...> wrote:
                > Sure - I'm at work so i'll do my best to remember exactly.
                >

                > Start>Lan Desk>Lan Desk Deployment Portal
                >

                > Here I get a id/password prompt on 2 machines and on another the web
                > page loads with no credential check. I was able to download the FHC(?)
                > Favorites folder but was unsuccessful downloading anything else, on
                > the one machine. Hope this helps if not I'll call the help desk on
                > Friday when I'm at the library.
                >
                > Tia

              • si02x
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 26, 2008
                  Nope, I'm using the admin account, thanks though.

                  --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, "Russell Hltn" <RussellHltn@...> wrote:

                  > Because of the way I have my machines set up, I can only see that when
                  > I'm loggin in as Administrator. So I've never tried to do that as
                  > "Patron". Perhaps that's the issue?
                  >
                  > The Lan Desk Deployment Portal is not something that Patrons need to
                  use.

                  > On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 10:07 AM, si02x <akjtr@...> wrote:
                  > > Sure - I'm at work so i'll do my best to remember exactly.
                  > >

                  > > Start>Lan Desk>Lan Desk Deployment Portal
                  > >

                  > > Here I get a id/password prompt on 2 machines and on another the web
                  > > page loads with no credential check. I was able to download the FHC(?)
                  > > Favorites folder but was unsuccessful downloading anything else, on
                  > > the one machine. Hope this helps if not I'll call the help desk on
                  > > Friday when I'm at the library.
                  > >
                  > > Tia

                • Merlin R Kitchen
                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 26, 2008
                    Assuming you have LanDesk installed

                    see if you can get to this web site:
                    http://fhc.familysearch.org

                    If you cannot get there at all, do this:
                    click on Landesk Management - Tools - Security Certificate install

                    Wait for the certificate to install

                    If you reach the site, but do not see a list of web sites available to
                    you
                    Go down the page a ways under th Help heading and click on the underlined
                    line "PortalCfg.exe" Follow instructions.

                    If you see a list of web sites including Heritage Quest, you are good to
                    go. We created an icon on the desktop for the users to click on to go
                    directly to the web site http://fhc.familysearch.org
                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 26, 2008
                      Actually, that should be https: (secure http). And it should have
                      the "www" in it too. The site may re-direct from some errors, but the
                      correct one is https://www.fhc.familysearch.org

                      On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 3:42 PM, Merlin R Kitchen <mkitchen@...> wrote:
                      > Assuming you have LanDesk installed
                      >
                      > see if you can get to this web site:
                      > http://fhc.familysearch.org

                    • Lynn Shaw
                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 27, 2008
                        There are actually two different items that are being discussed in
                        this thread:

                        1) How to access the "LANDesk Software Deployment Portal" via the
                        LANDesk Management folder in the Start Menu (the original question
                        this thread started with), and

                        2) The "Family History Center Services portal" available at
                        http://www.fhc.familysearch.org/.

                        They are competely different items. Since both of them have the
                        word "portal" in them, are implemented with LANDesk, and can prompt
                        for a username & password, I can see why there might be some confusion.

                        Let me explain how to briefly resolve a username & password problem
                        with both items. But please, remember, these are completely separate
                        things.

                        ------------

                        1) The "LANDesk Software Deployment Portal" is a way of making
                        software packages available for download to centers without posting
                        the packages publicly. The version implemented in LANDesk Management
                        Suite (LDMS) 8.7 is not very robust as it tends to timeout on large
                        package downloads over slower WAN links... Thus the reason you
                        sometimes have to restart the download process. However, LANDesk
                        provides check-point restart on downloads, so it continues from where
                        it left off.

                        The "LANDesk Software Deployment Portal" launches a background process
                        that checks in with the LANDesk servers to see what optional policies
                        are available. (Optional means that software is available to be
                        downloaded & installed on a machine, but the policy (software package)
                        is not required). Then it launches Internet Explorer, accesses a URL
                        pointing to "http://localhost:9595/webportal/webportal.exe". Because
                        the URL is pointing to the same system that is trying to access the
                        information, but on a port that usually isn't used for http traffic,
                        IE 7 and some firewall software prompts the user for an administrator
                        username and password. Even if the user currently logged in has
                        administrator rights. IE 7 or firewall software is trying to make
                        sure that you really meant to access that port on the local system.
                        Hackers sometimes have done something similar to hack into systems,
                        and thus the security features/software intercept those calls. That's
                        why on some systems you are prompted to enter a username and password.

                        In LDMS 8.8, the "LANDesk Software Deployment Portal" has been re-
                        written, and I'm hoping is better designed and more robust. We'll
                        see. We're looking at upgrading to LDMS 8.8 SP1 towards the end of
                        April or beginning of May.

                        Meanwhile, I suggest that you do NOT use the "LANDesk Software
                        Deployment Portal". You can get to the same functionality, without
                        the IE interface and the download timeout problems by just using
                        the "LANDesk Policy-based Delivery" tool, also found in the LANDesk
                        Management folder in the Start Menu. The Policy-based Delivery tool
                        will first download & install any required policies, and then it will
                        display a second screen with all of the optional policies. Use this
                        second screen to download the software packages you are interested in.

                        Also, once you've downloaded a package via either the "LANDesk
                        Software Deployment Portal" or the Policy-based Delivery tool, you can
                        simply copy the package directly to your other systems or to your
                        server... you don't have to download it again via LANDesk.

                        ------------

                        2) Regarding the "Family History Center Services portal" located at
                        http://www.fhc.familysearch.org/: If you can get to the secure
                        portion of the site (the https URL), then the security certificate is
                        working fine on your system. If you cannot get to the secure portion
                        of the site, then you need to run the PortalCfg.exe available in the
                        Help section on the public site. PortalCfg.exe requires that LANDesk
                        be installed on the system and working correctly. The "patron"
                        account, also has to have enough rights to run PortalCfg.exe
                        successfully. If you have problems with PortalCfg.exe contact
                        FamilySearch Support, hit option 4, and tell them you need assistance
                        troubleshooting the "Family History Center Services portal".

                        Once you can get to the secure portion of the site, and you click on
                        one of the links, if you are prompted for a username and password it
                        is because this computer at one point tried to access that site before
                        using the FHC Services portal or before the system was configured
                        correctly. Simply delete the IE cookies, relaunch the browser and try
                        again.

                        Note that FamilyLink.com will ALWAYS prompt for a username and
                        password because it is based on each individual person using the
                        site. The first time a patron goes to it, they simply need to create
                        their own account and then they can use that account to access the
                        site in the future.

                        ------------

                        There are LOTS of background details on how both the "LANDesk Software
                        Deployment Portal" and the "Family History Center Services portal"
                        work, that I am not going to attempt to explain here. If you're still
                        stuck, please contact FamilySearch Support at 1-866-406-1830 by at
                        support@....

                        Note: Both of these tools and the resulting products/services are ONLY
                        for use on family history center computers.
                      • Lynn Shaw
                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 27, 2008
                          Yahoo hid the email for FamilySearch Support... Here it is again
                          written with extra spaces so you'll be able to see it.

                          support @ familysearch.org
                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 27, 2008
                            Bro. Shaw,

                            Since all Internet connections in FHCs are required to use the approved
                            Church filtering, and since AFAIK the PIX units all use IP addresses
                            assigned by the Church, is it possible to configure LANDesk and the various
                            services to not operate unless the traffic is routing through the Church IP
                            address range? I am not a network person, but it seems something like that
                            would make it impossible to even attempt using those products and services
                            outside the FHC, or a FHC which was not using the filtering.

                            > Note: Both of these tools and the resulting products/services are ONLY
                            > for use on family history center computers.

                          • slw
                            Message 13 of 23 , Mar 27, 2008
                              Is it really a problem?  Often when I have a problem or reformatting a computer I take it home to to work on  It is awful convenient to be able to do this away from the FHC as I am not rushed, can work on it when I have the time and have no one to bother/HELP me while I am working.

                              If everything was dependent on having he PIX unit it would eliminate the ability to get the computer ready for use and fixing computers would take longer.

                              Sterrie

                              Message 14 of 23 , Mar 27, 2008
                                Did I say *everything* should be dependent on going through the PIX? The way
                                I was envisioning it, the only things it would affect would be the *usage*
                                of the specific services that are supposed to be only at a FHC. All Windows
                                and other software updates would be unaffected and could be done from
                                anywhere. Probably even the installation of LANDesk, AntiVirus, DeepFreeze
                                etc. could still take place at home. If there was some additional
                                installation and/or configuration that required the PIX it sould be minimal
                                and the last step in the process anyway. I don't see that the "fixing" time
                                should be impacted significantly

                                I believe there is a good chance there IS a problem. Certainly there are
                                audit questions regarding whether the center is properly filtered, if all
                                software is licensed, and so on. I suspect there is a fair percentage of
                                centers that bend the rules on occasion, and directors that install software
                                intended only for FHC use on their personal computers.

                                Gary

                                Message 15 of 23 , Mar 27, 2008
                                  Also keep in mind that the new more flexible rules suggest that more
                                  members will be able to connect their laptops though a church
                                  firewall, maybe even one shared with a FHC.

                                  So it's not a stretch to think a patron may install the needed things
                                  to access a paid site while at the FHC and then try to use it from
                                  home.

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Mar 27, 2008
                                    As an after thought, I'm sure there will have to be some limits to the
                                    software install. Otherwise people outside of the FHC can install
                                    Symantec anti-virus on their own personal machines.
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Mar 27, 2008
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Mar 28, 2008
                                        On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 5:21 PM, Gary Templeman <gtempleman1@...> wrote:
                                        > By going to the correct URL people outside the FHC could install LANDesk and
                                        > Symantec A-V right now, no need to use the FHC connection.

                                        I haven't tried it, so I'm not sure if it will work. I'm raising the
                                        question - should it?

                                        > Of course, how
                                        > many users would want to have LANDesk installed on their personal computer?
                                        > And it would be dumb to have this locked down version of Symantec when they
                                        > can already use AVG, Avast, etc for free.

                                        If they can get access to subscription sites, they might. Never can
                                        tell about some people.

                                        > That brings up an interesting thought. As a protection to the FHC computers,
                                        > perhaps patron computers that are going to be connected to the Church
                                        > Internet connection should be "certified" by a staff member that they
                                        > already have a current A-V program installed and running before even
                                        > allowing the connection.

                                        I don't think it's practical. The church isn't responsible for what
                                        happens to the patron's computer. The more the staff messes with it,
                                        the more likely they are to get blamed for anything that happens to go
                                        wrong later.

                                        The only reason I can think of for doing that is to protect the FHC
                                        network from viruses that are on the patron's computer. I think
                                        there's better ways to deal with that.
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Mar 28, 2008
                                          From: "Russell Hltn" <RussellHltn@...>

                                          >> That brings up an interesting thought. As a protection to the FHC
                                          >> computers,
                                          >> perhaps patron computers that are going to be connected to the Church
                                          >> Internet connection should be "certified" by a staff member that they
                                          >> already have a current A-V program installed and running before even
                                          >> allowing the connection.
                                          >
                                          > I don't think it's practical. The church isn't responsible for what
                                          > happens to the patron's computer. The more the staff messes with it,
                                          > the more likely they are to get blamed for anything that happens to go
                                          > wrong later.
                                          >
                                          > The only reason I can think of for doing that is to protect the FHC
                                          > network from viruses that are on the patron's computer. I think
                                          > there's better ways to deal with that.

                                          That is why I said it was pie in the sky. I agree that it is not practical
                                          and will never happen. In theory however the staff wouldn't have to even
                                          touch the computer, only have the patron demonstrate that the software was
                                          installed and functioning.

                                          Gary
                                        • si02x
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Mar 28, 2008
                                            Since I started this thread, I'd like to thank Lynn for the
                                            explanation of how things work and the solution to original issue. I
                                            went straight to the policy based delivery and I'm downloading my
                                            requested downloads. This is a great resource for help and thanks to
                                            all, again.

                                            John Roe
                                            Fairbanks AK FHC

                                          • Larry Jackson
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Apr 5, 2008
                                              Start
                                              Control Panel
                                              Administrative Tools
                                              Computer Management
                                              System Tools
                                              Local Users and Groups
                                              Groups
                                              Power Users

                                              Look for the login there to see if they are a Power User (sometimes
                                              called a Super User). If not, add the login to the group.

                                              There are easier ways to do this, but I do not remember them.

                                              And I think everyone might be off to conference. Should be a solemn
                                              assembly in 30 minutes.

                                              Larry Jackson
                                            • Patty Gaddis
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Apr 5, 2008
                                                Thanks, Larry. I'll try this when I go back.

                                                Patty

                                                At 11:32 AM 4/5/2008, you wrote:

                                                >Start
                                                >Control Panel
                                                >Administrative Tools
                                                >Computer Management
                                                >System Tools
                                                >Local Users and Groups
                                                >Groups
                                                >Power Users
                                                >
                                                >Look for the login there to see if they are a Power User (sometimes
                                                >called a Super User). If not, add the login to the group.
                                                >
                                                >There are easier ways to do this, but I do not remember them.
                                                >
                                                >And I think everyone might be off to conference. Should be a solemn
                                                >assembly in 30 minutes.
                                                >
                                                >Larry Jackson
                                              • Lynn Shaw
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Apr 8, 2008
                                                  The IP Addressing scheme used are "private" IP addresses that anyone
                                                  can use, so its no guarantee that the requests would be originating
                                                  from FHCs. Plus when the PIX firewall / web filtering project was
                                                  implemented, the scope of the VPN that was setup as a part of the
                                                  PIX implementation, is only for administrating the PIX configuration
                                                  and not for normal IP traffic. So neither of these services can go
                                                  through the PIX VPN to the corporate network, but most go out to the
                                                  public Internet instead.

                                                  At one point their was a desire to set up as many FHCs with a static
                                                  public IP address... but some how this was not communicated
                                                  successfully to those implementing the WAN links to FHCs and so most
                                                  (98%??) are all dynamically configured IP addresses instead. So the
                                                  use of static IP's won't work either.