Re: [fhctech] Inventory Manager and Deep Freeze

  • Fred Miesterfeld
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 18, 2008

      A possible solution to Deep Freeze and LANDesk support.

      Rulon

      I never could figure out how that sceam would work.  I used a simpler method of using Deep Freeze on the Inventory Manager Computer.

      The problem is the Inventory Manager Application supports placing the data file (Access 2000 database) in the second partition. The exception to this is REFIS Financial Program and the Modem ordering of microfilms and microfiche. Both of these functions require a Directory called NODESYS to be located on the C Drive, the drive that would be frozen, with the REFIS and Inventory manager application software.

      The solution is to create a third partition for NODESYS and Mounted NODESYS to that third partition. In this manner, the operating system and its applications could be frozen with Deep Freeze leaving the Data files and NODESYS folders thawed to be updated.  Windows 2000 and Windows XP both support Mounted Volumes. Faronics the source for Deep Freeze also has available a free Mapping Tool utility that simplifies creation of Mounted Volumes.  For more information contact:

      http://www.faronics.com/html/dfmappt.asp

      I have done this and it works very well.  Lots of luck.

      Fred

      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 23, 2008
        A week ago I had to rebuild our staff computer (which runs Inventory manager and REFIS).  After having headaches with NODESYS creating errors when Deep Freeze lock the Operating System (C:) drive.  I called SLC and they suggested I create a batch file that references an unfrozen partition (D:) for restoring and storing the NODSYS files, which must be updated each time IM logs in.  Below is the batch file they gave me.  It works fine.

        Simply create a batch file that copies the contents of the MLS (or Inventory Manager) and Nodesys directories to the appropriate locations on the C: drive from your thaw space, then have it "call" the executable for MLS, then once you've closed MLS, the batch file copies those directories from the C: drive back to your thaw space.

        Then instead of using the default shortcut to launch MLS (or Inventory Manager), create a shortcut to the batch file in its place.

        Here is the batch file we've used with Inventory Manager:

        REM Replace the "U" in the next line with the drive letter of your thaw space
        Set Thaw=U:\fhcimbackup

        REM Path to Inventory Manager Files
        Set FHCIM2="C:\Program Files\Family History Center\Inventory Manager"

        REM Prepare environment, first time, if directories already exist these lines will not do anything
        mkdir %thaw%\files > NUL
        mkdir %thaw%\nodesys > NUL

        REM Restore latest data
        xcopy %thaw%\files\*.* %FHCIM2%\*.* /V /Q /C /H /R /Y
        xcopy %thaw%\nodesys\*.* c:\nodesys\*.* /E /H /V /C /Q /R /Y

        REM Run FHC Inventory Manager II
        Call "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE" "C:\Program Files\Family History Center\Inventory Manager\FHCIMFront.mde"

        REM Backup latest data
        xcopy %FHCIM2%\*.* %thaw%\files\*.* /H /V /C /Q /R /Y
        xcopy c:\nodesys\*.* %thaw%\nodesys\*.* /H /E /V /C /Q /R /Y

        The reason this works is that Deep Freeze allows you to change things on the frozen drive while the computer is running, then forget them when it is shutdown.  So the batch file copies the D: stuff to frozen C:, uses it, then copies the updated info back to D: upon exiting IM.

        DOS style batch (CMD) files are alive and well; even better than when DOS was the operating system.  My computers have their harddisks partitioned in-half forming C: and D: drives.  C: is frozen and D: is never frozen.  .

        My "Set Thaw=U:\fhcimbackup" is actually "Set Thaw=D:\fhcimbackup".  Be careful: the command line that starts with call continues thru the next line.  So what appears as two lines ia actually one line that wrapped to the next due to lack of space on the screen (or page).  It simply says: call the MSACCESS database program and load the FHCIMFront.mde file.  The paths needed to get there makes the command too long for one line.  (If your batch file doesn't work, this line is probably the reason.  Go to the line that begins with CALL. Go the end of end of that line and press the delete key. Insert a space after that and save & close the edit).

        All the "%" signs are very important.  They mean: exchange the variable name between %...% with the information that is inside that variable and use the information instead.  The easiest thing to do is select and copy the script written here to your C: drive (IM folder) and replace the drive letter in the "set thaw..." command to the drive you are using.  You can also create a shortcut and change the icon to look like the IM icon and put it on your desktop (delete the original IM shortcut first to prevent getting confused about which shortcut to use).

        If you would rather create a thawed space on your C:\ drive for the NODESYS & IM directories that will work too.  Check your Deep Freeze manual for how-to, or go to Faronics.com and download their pdf files on the issue.

        I prefer having a separate partition (D:) because there may be other files that need thawed space and I don't to have to do it all over again.  Plus, all the staff who has access to this computer have their My Documents and Favorites folders redirected to the D: drive so they can save any documents they create or internet connections they access: if they so choose.  My other use for D: is to hold the pagefile.sys file.  That way the computer remembers the last things done to it and respond faster.  Symantec's Partition magic (Yeh, they bought up that one too) or similar partition management software will let you modify your harddisk to create a D: partition without harming the setup you already have.

        The same technique is supposed to work with REFIS but I haven't tried it yet.  My bookkeeper is on vacation this week.  Notice there is mention of MLS in the intro.  After reading some of the issues surrounding MLS setup, I am not in a hurry to upgrade yet.  I want to know more first.  But the batch program idea should be similar.

        Bill H.

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 23, 2008
          MY FHC uses a/the batch file to operate Inventory Manager too.  The one thing my orders do before exiting IM is to make a backup copy to a Zip drive ( a floppy drive might work too it the file is small enough).  The batch program should work (if it is the same one I use, see my other message for this day).  Since I don't actually get involved with the ordering per se, I can't offer guidance about re-entering.  Is it possible the IM was looking in the wrong place for entry data?  Try your F: drive.  Is F: always thawed or only parttime?  My solution was to maintain a permanently thawed drive (D:).  It seems to work OK.

          Bill H.

          Tim Steinberger <tberger@...> wrote:
          Rulon

          You can re-enter the order in IM without sending batch over modem.  That is an option that I had to do to correct an error on an order that was sent by modem(internet) after I called Distribution and made the correction with them.

          Tim Steinberger, Director
          Brookings Oregon FHC

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 13, 2008
            I had Inventory Manager (IM) working fine as a restricted user with
            Deep Freeze (DF). However, it was not configured so that IM would be
            thawed to save updates. So I contacted Faronics to see if I could
            configure DF to just thaw a directory on the drive. The short answer
            is no. The long answer is to create a thaw space and then move IM to
            the thaw space then use the junction command to point the program from
            where it was in Program Files to the thawed drive. That's all well and
            good except now I've lost the ability to use IM as a restricted user
            even when the security settings are such that I should be able to. It
            gives me a "File 75" error. Any thoughts on this?
            Thanks.
            Amy
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 13, 2008
              Where are you looking at the rights? You probably have to check both
              the rights on the junction and on the destination.

              On Feb 13, 2008 4:05 PM, Donsescape <mount_idee@...> wrote:
              > I had Inventory Manager (IM) working fine as a restricted user with
              > Deep Freeze (DF). However, it was not configured so that IM would be
              > thawed to save updates. So I contacted Faronics to see if I could
              > configure DF to just thaw a directory on the drive. The short answer
              > is no. The long answer is to create a thaw space and then move IM to
              > the thaw space then use the junction command to point the program from
              > where it was in Program Files to the thawed drive. That's all well and
              > good except now I've lost the ability to use IM as a restricted user
              > even when the security settings are such that I should be able to. It
              > gives me a "File 75" error. Any thoughts on this?
              > Thanks.
              > Amy

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Donsescape
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 15, 2008
                I looked and set rights both in the junction and the destination. I'm
                now thinking that I need to copy a file out the documents and settings
                folder for the administrator and put it in the user profile. Refresh
                my memory. Would I need to run the junction command in both the
                administrator profile and the user profile or would that create some
                duplications on the C drive?
                Amy

                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 15, 2008
                  I don't play with junctions, but I'd suggest logging in as a user and
                  pop up Windows Explorer and see if the Junction seems to be working.

                  On Feb 15, 2008 4:22 PM, Donsescape <mount_idee@...> wrote:
                  > I looked and set rights both in the junction and the destination. I'm
                  > now thinking that I need to copy a file out the documents and settings
                  > folder for the administrator and put it in the user profile. Refresh
                  > my memory. Would I need to run the junction command in both the
                  > administrator profile and the user profile or would that create some
                  > duplications on the C drive?
                  > Amy

                • Donsescape
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 20, 2008
                    I've got it!

                    For those who are looking for solutions to Inventory Manager working
                    with Deep Freeze in a restricted user mode here is how I finally got
                    it worked out.

                    From Deep Freeze (DF) administrator console:
                    Click Open and choose the file from the Faronics Install Programs
                    folder that you created when you first set up the system.
                    Click on the Drives tab.
                    Check the box next to Create Thaw space and assign a drive letter.
                    Click on the Create button.
                    Click on Create Workstation Install Program.
                    Give the file a name and click Save.
                    Copy the file to a flash drive or other device so that it is
                    available for other computers.
                    On the computer that has Inventory Manager (IM) run the .exe file you
                    just created.
                    Then thaw the drive.

                    Install Inventory Manager (IM) as you normally would. Move the IM
                    folder from C:\Program Files\Family History Center to the thawed
                    space.

                    Download junction from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-
                    us/sysinternals/bb545046.aspx
                    Save the uncompressed file to the Windows directory.

                    Go to run and type cmd.

                    From the command prompt type:
                    junction "C:\Program Files\Family History Center\Inventory
                    Manager" "<thawed drive>:\Inventory Manager"

                    Then it's just a matter of granting permissions to the Family History
                    Center folder on the C drive and the Inventory Manager folder on the
                    thawed drive.

                    Then there is one last quirk. Go to the System Volume Information
                    (SVI) folder on the C drive and grant permission to the
                    MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase file. You may have to add
                    administrative privileges to the SVI folder first before granting
                    user permission to the file.

                    Hopefully this is helpful to someone.