Re: [fhctech] RE: Digital Imaging System Computer Replacement

  • gtempleman1@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 3, 2008
      In my experience, the Church goes with the best deal they get at any particular time, as we have received both HPs and Dells at various times. The models and form factor seem to vary just as much. Whether the current cards you have will be usable or not in some future computer is just a guess at this point.

      However, I guess I am not understanding just what all these current cards are which will be made obsolete. In the configurations the Church typically ships, everything needed for a typical FHC computer (video/LAN/USB and sometimes sound) is built into the motherboard. The digital imaging scanner uses SCSI, but that is generally only an issue with one computer in the center, and the USB to SCSI converter cable they are going to send you will be transferable to any other computer in the future.

      The only other add-on card I can think of might be wireless, but a wired connection would be better if at all feasable anyway.

      From: "Russell Hltn" <RussellHltn@...>

      > On Jan 3, 2008 3:44 AM, Gary Tarbet wrote:
      > > As a side note, pretty interesting, Dell is going to obsolete all the
      > > current cards in our systems so we have to buy new cards with this new
      > > structure. Has anyone seen a similar structure from other manufacturers or
      > > is this "feature" a Dell exclusive?
      >

      > No, that's going on with other brands too. (The move to half-height
      > PCI cards.) In some cases new cards are shipped with two different
      > brackets depending on if they are to be installed in full-height or
      > half-height systems.
      >
      > I know in the case of HP, you can buy an adapter from HP that will
      > turn the card cage sideways and allow you to put in full-height cards.

    • Dana Repouille
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 3, 2008
        Does the Canon MS-300 scanner have a USB port?

        Dana

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 3, 2008
          Salt Lake supplies a USB to SCSI adapter cable with the MS300 systems being
          shipped now.

          Dan Vester

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 3, 2008
            The scanner uses a SCSI interface. It can connect to a computer either
            through a SCSI cable and card, or through a USB to SCSI converter cable,
            which is what the Church supplied us. Ours is a Ratoc cable, as shown here
            http://www.synchrotech.com/product-usb/usb2-uscsi-conv_01.html