PRF index trouble

  • jcrawfordor
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 3, 2007
      Well, I seem to have a problem.

      I recently installed PRF CDs 129-132 on to the server. I encountered
      unknown exception errors on the installer several times, but I have
      successfully installed all 4 discs after several tries.

      Now, when I run PRF Scan on the clients, it lists the new discs. But,
      when I try to open them, I get the following error:

      "Missing Master Index Components. Please re-install Master index
      software."

      Followed by an unknown exception, after which the program closes.

      Now, I'm a new FHC tech, so I have little experience with PRF, but I
      followed the instructions to update the server on Disc 132. Disc 126 -
      128 are installed and working fine, so it seems that it's not a
      problem with the clients not being updated for Series 2. As such, I
      have not yet reinstalled the clients, as I assume the previous tech
      did so.

      Any ideas?

      --
      Jesse Crawford
      Portland, OR FHC
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 3, 2007
        There's a PDF on one of the disks that contains the instructions to
        install the software on the network. The instructions have to be
        followed to the letter. Also make sure the "Network.exe" file you
        have is dated 2007. SLC sent me an old one that caused me problems.

        One tip: On installing the files on the server, copy the EXE file to
        the desktop and then run it. Trying to run the file from the DVD and
        then changing DVDs caused me problems.

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 3, 2007
          I think the first DVD was 126. However there's some other fun stuff.
          Up to 128, everything was on the one Master Index. However, staring
          at disk 129, disks 127 and 128 were moved to "series 2". So you might
          end up with a "series 1" that covered 1-128 and "series 2" that
          covered 126-132. Even after fixing that, I've noticed that disk 126
          is in both series 1 and series 2.

          On Nov 3, 2007 11:53 AM, simonsen <simonsen@...> wrote:
          > Just a thought - I am not at the Family History Center so I don't know for
          > sure.
          > I believe they changed from CD's to DVD's at 129. We had trouble until we
          > discovered that the CD reader would not read the DVD's sent.
          > This could be your problem.
          > Hope this helps.
          > Richard Simonsen
          > Santa Maria California FHC