FHC file server

  • David Read
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2007
      We've had a Dell server running NT Server 4.0 in our FHC (Beaverton,
      Oregon) for several years. Basically it's used to store all the
      TempleReady data that's normally on lots and lots of CDs, so users
      don't have to keep swapping CDs in and out when running TempleReady.

      My question is: is using a server like this Standard Operating
      Procedure? Is it supported by FHC Support in SLC? Or do we have a
      unique installation?

      Many thanks,
      dave
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2007
        > We've had a Dell server running NT Server 4.0 in our FHC (Beaverton,
        > Oregon) for several years. Basically it's used to store all the
        > TempleReady data that's normally on lots and lots of CDs, so users
        > don't have to keep swapping CDs in and out when running TempleReady.
        >
        > My question is: is using a server like this Standard Operating
        > Procedure? Is it supported by FHC Support in SLC? Or do we have a
        > unique installation?
        >
        > Many thanks,
        > dave

        No, it is not SOP, however many FHCs have networked various databases.
        Networks are not officially supported by SLC. It is not unique, as I said,
        there are many networked FHCs, and I suspect a majority of the participants
        in this group are in that category. You are more unique in using a "true"
        server operating system. I think most FHCs are under 10 PCs and use a
        peer-to-peer network, with the files stored on a W2K or XP Pro machine.

        Gary Templeman
      • Alan Whitcomb

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2007
            The quick answers are Yes and No.  Yes, many FHC's use servers to provide file sevices as you mentioned (or workstations acting as servers on a peer-to-peer basis).  If your server is a domain controller, NO, that is fairly unique.  I too have an NT server (running as a domain controller) and serving files to the workstations.  Besides my FHC, I have not heard of other centers that have domain controllers. Windows NT servers should be upgraded when possible (NT is to be tolerated not encouraged, too ancient.  Win2000 servers are far better).  As soon as I get some RAM for a couple computers, I am going to upgrade them to Win2000 domain controllers and continue running a domain network.  It avoids all the peer-to-peer problems one sees populating this forum.  However, doing so is not for the novice.

            No, SLC does not support servers of any kind.  What with the variety of computer brands, RAM and storage capacities, and FHC technician skill levels; it is almost impossible for SLC to support server-based networks.  So, they don't (at least in my three years FHC tech experience).
            To SI02x:

            There is some documentation to provide guidance to FHCs.  Policy and Guidelines for Computers in Family History Centers, dated June 1, 2005,  a memo dated June 25, 2004, Family History Center Internet use policies (revised); 3rd Quarter Memorandum, dated Nov 14, 2005 (Family History Infrastructure, Worldwide Support Services).  Unless there has been another update which I missed, those are the guidelines we have. Your local FHC Director should have a copy of them if they were saved.   A couple years ago, I sought to get a standardized System Administrator Manual (SAM), even check with SLC who said they are working on one.  But, nothing has come from it.  In the interim, I suggested that each FHC tech start building his/her own SAM and to share some of their insights about it/them.  Go into the FHCtech.org email archives between Feb and May of 2006 and you'll see some of the traffic concerning this activity.  My SAM is about 2" thick (incomplete) and covers the following main topics:

            General FHC Info
            Network
            Maintenance and Servicing
            Servers
            Workstations
            Peripherals
            Policies and Guidelines
            Forms

            I could fill out another manual covering software and setups but haven't so far.  Once my network was properly configured and bullet-proofed I have had virtually no trouble with it.  Except for the occasional call from the patron support staff, I don't see my FHC for a month or two at a time, then only to update antivirus (or similar files) or repair/replace broken hardware.

            Bill Henderson, Santa Clara FHC

            David Read <david_lee_read@...> wrote:
            We've had a Dell server running NT Server 4.0 in our FHC (Beaverton,
            Oregon) for several years. Basically it's used to store all the
            TempleReady data that's normally on lots and lots of CDs, so users
            don't have to keep swapping CDs in and out when running TempleReady.

            My question is: is using a server like this Standard Operating
            Procedure? Is it supported by FHC Support in SLC? Or do we have a
            unique installation?

            Many thanks,
            dave

            http://mail.yahoo.com