Network Setup

  • dave.young33
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 1, 2007
      Hi all,

      I have just joined the group and will be participating in the
      discussions if I can be of help. And of course I will have a lot of
      questions for You !

      Our FHC is a combined, multi-stake set up, located in Kaysville, Utah.

      We had 2 servers, 12 computers (3-Win XP & 9-Win 2000) and a printer
      networked, along with two local printers. All this hardware came
      together from several centers when the FHC was combined. As you can
      imagine we had a number of different configurations, logons, and
      passwords to deal with. Then one of the servers decided to die on us
      (the motherboard) intermittently and this caused us to have all sorts
      of network connection problems. To make a long story short, we decided
      to scale back our network. We added a 500 GB external Hard Drive (USB)
      to our fastest and newest computer then copied all the data files for
      PRF and TRW onto this drive. We have six computers connected to the
      network (both servers are gone). We remapped all the drives and
      everything connects just fine on start up.

      Now here is the question I am asking the group: On start-up, all the
      drives connect properly on all the computers. However, when the
      network is idle, like overnight, all the drives disconnect, then in
      the morning the staff starts using the various programs and the
      required network drive auto connects and access to the database is
      there. Is this Idle/disconnect - auto connect the way the network is
      meant to work ?

      Dave Young
      Kaysville FHC
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 1, 2007
        Google is your friend:

        From http://www.chicagotech.net/mapping.htm

        Why some mapped network drives show a red x

        SYMPTOMS: You find that the network drive mapping may be disconnected
        after 15 minutes of inactivity and Windows Explorer may display a red
        "X" on the icon of the mapped drive. However, if you double-click it
        reconnects quickly.

        RESOLUTION: by default, idle connections will be dropped after 15
        minutes. To modify idle time, at a command prompt using "net config
        server /autodisconnect: minutes". For example, to set the
        Autodisconnect value to 30 minutes, you would run the following
        command line: "net config server /autodisconnect:30". If you would
        like to turn Autodisconnect off, do "net config server
        /autodisconnect:-1".

        Well, I know what my next changes to my login script will be.

        Keep in mind that Windows Professional will only allow 10 connections.
        Because you only have six workstations, you should be OK - as long as
        you don't also set up shared printers on the server as well.

        Also, I'd discourage letting the system run overnight. If you do
        leave it on, make sure the room temperature never gets too high. Not
        good for the equipment. Thermal cycling is not the problem it used to
        be.

        On 10/1/07, dave.young33 <dave.young33@...> wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > I have just joined the group and will be participating in the
        > discussions if I can be of help. And of course I will have a lot of
        > questions for You !
        >
        > Our FHC is a combined, multi-stake set up, located in Kaysville, Utah.
        >
        > We had 2 servers, 12 computers (3-Win XP & 9-Win 2000) and a printer
        > networked, along with two local printers. All this hardware came
        > together from several centers when the FHC was combined. As you can
        > imagine we had a number of different configurations, logons, and
        > passwords to deal with. Then one of the servers decided to die on us
        > (the motherboard) intermittently and this caused us to have all sorts
        > of network connection problems. To make a long story short, we decided
        > to scale back our network. We added a 500 GB external Hard Drive (USB)
        > to our fastest and newest computer then copied all the data files for
        > PRF and TRW onto this drive. We have six computers connected to the
        > network (both servers are gone). We remapped all the drives and
        > everything connects just fine on start up.
        >
        > Now here is the question I am asking the group: On start-up, all the
        > drives connect properly on all the computers. However, when the
        > network is idle, like overnight, all the drives disconnect, then in
        > the morning the staff starts using the various programs and the
        > required network drive auto connects and access to the database is
        > there. Is this Idle/disconnect - auto connect the way the network is
        > meant to work ?
        >
        > Dave Young
        > Kaysville FHC
      • dave.young33
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 2, 2007
          Thanks for your response Russell.

          This answers the idle/disconnect issue, but brings up another
          question. In your comments you mentioned that "Windows Professional
          will only allow 10 connections." You didn't make a distinction between
          Win XP & Win 2K, I was told by our previous computer guy that the 10
          limit is only for XP and Win 2K will allow all you want?

          In our present set up we have 3 Win XP computers, 3 Win 2k computers
          and one LaserJet printer networked, that makes 7, then what about the
          firewall does that count?

          With this mixture of OS's how does the network do it's counting? We
          have our database (TRW & PRF) on a Win 2K machine and we always boot
          this one up first. Our thinking was that this would be the host
          computer and all the other computers are mapped to it !

          Dave Young
          Kaysville FHC

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 3, 2007
            The 10 user limit applies to W2K and XP Pro. I don't know about XP home, but
            that is not what the Church is providing anyway, so the question is probably
            moot. The firewall and printer do not count. It is 10 *user* connections,
            meaning a computer logging on to the server. The server itself does not
            count towards the limit either as far as I know. Each computer counts the
            connections made TO it independently, the mix of OS's has no bearing that I
            know. If your server is running W2K, you have 5 client connections.

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 3, 2007
              On 10/2/07, dave.young33 <dave.young33@...> wrote:
              > This answers the idle/disconnect issue, but brings up another
              > question. In your comments you mentioned that "Windows Professional
              > will only allow 10 connections." You didn't make a distinction between
              > Win XP & Win 2K, I was told by our previous computer guy that the 10
              > limit is only for XP and Win 2K will allow all you want?

              Assuming that it's Windows 2000 Professional, the 10 connection limit
              still applies. If it's Windows 2000 Server, then that's a different
              story. (Not to be confused with Windows 2000 Professional acting as a
              server.)

              > With this mixture of OS's how does the network do it's counting?

              Each machine acting as a server counts the number of clients
              connecting to it. But be aware that it's a count of clients and the
              type of connections.

              Having one computer map multiple drives to the server only counts as
              one client connection. However, if that same client computer also
              connects to a shared printer on the same server, it counts as two
              client connections (one file, one printer).

              So, if that printer is shared though a computer, and you also do file
              sharing on that same computer, you run out of connections with only 5
              clients.
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 3, 2007
                From: "Russell Hltn" <RussellHltn@...>

                > Having one computer map multiple drives to the server only counts as
                > one client connection. However, if that same client computer also
                > connects to a shared printer on the same server, it counts as two
                > client connections (one file, one printer).
                >
                > So, if that printer is shared though a computer, and you also do file
                > sharing on that same computer, you run out of connections with only 5
                > clients.

                Are you positive about that? We have 6 client computers and the server, with
                the printer shared off the server and have never had an issue with running
                out of connections.

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 3, 2007
                  On 10/3/07, Gary Templeman <gtempleman1@...> wrote:
                  > Are you positive about that? We have 6 client computers and the server, with
                  > the printer shared off the server and have never had an issue with running
                  > out of connections.

                  Interesting, that's what remember reading before, and for that reason
                  I split up the printer and file sharing. But now my google searching
                  as saying they only count as one. Only if a connections are made from
                  different logins (such as background processes) does it count as
                  multiple.

                  I do run into this problem - I think because I have a "net time"
                  command in my login script to slave the workstations clocks to the
                  server. I do run out of connections in our 8 computer FHC. I may
                  have to dig further.
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 3, 2007
                    From: "Russell Hltn" <RussellHltn@...>

                    > I do run into this problem - I think because I have a "net time"
                    > command in my login script to slave the workstations clocks to the
                    > server. I do run out of connections in our 8 computer FHC. I may
                    > have to dig further.

                    Since they are all connected to the Internet, why not just do it directly
                    and not bother with pulling off the server? I like to use a freeware program
                    Abouttime rather than the OS utility, but either way the computers will
                    still be within a few milliseconds of the server and the client time will
                    get updated even when the server is not on.

                    Gary
                  • dave.young33
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 6, 2007
                      The Network is up and running: 6 Client computers, a server and a
                      Laserjet printer.

                      The only problem remaining is; we can't print from Family Search DOS !

                      I have a batch file (net use Lpt1:\\computer-5\HPLaserJ
                      /persistent:yes /user:patron "") in the programs\startup folder on the
                      patron account that should redirect the printing to Lpt1: but it
                      doesn't seem to work.

                      Would it help to uninstall FS Dos and re-install?

                      Any ideas.............

                      Dave Young
                      Kaysville FHC
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 6, 2007
                        Is the batch executing OK without errors?

                        For one thing, you need a space between "lpt1:" and "\\computer-5".
                        Unless the currently logged in user is different on different
                        machines, I'd leave off "/user" and everything after it.

                        Second, make sure FamilySearch (DOS) is set to print on LPT1.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 6, 2007
                          Along with what Russell said, what operating system are you using? I have
                          our patron logins set up to NOT use a password. The Win 2000 machines print
                          from DOS FS to the Win 2000 server fine. The Win XP client does not, because
                          apparently certain remote activities in XP Pro require a password no matter
                          what. I figure with new Family Search on the horizon, I will live with one
                          client not able to print from DOS. If you are using XP, try giving the user
                          a password, and make sure the same username and password is created on the
                          server.

                          You may also need to go into one of the FS configuration files (I think it
                          might be passetup.ini) and turn off the banner printing line, our you might
                          get a seperator page with every job.

                          > The Network is up and running: 6 Client computers, a server and a
                          > Laserjet printer.
                          >
                          > The only problem remaining is; we can't print from Family Search DOS !
                          >
                          > I have a batch file (net use Lpt1:\\computer-5\HPLaserJ
                          > /persistent:yes /user:patron "") in the programs\startup folder on the
                          > patron account that should redirect the printing to Lpt1: but it
                          > doesn't seem to work.
                          >
                          > Would it help to uninstall FS Dos and re-install?
                          >
                          > Any ideas.............
                          >

                          > Dave Young
                          > Kaysville FHC

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • dave.young33
                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 13, 2007
                            > Along with what Russell said, what operating system are you using?

                            We have four running Win XP Pro and two running Win 2K Pro, the
                            'server' is just another computer (P2P) running Win 2K Pro. The
                            printer is connected directly to the network via the switch.

                            The Win 2K clients print from DOS FS to the laserjet printer, however,
                            the Win XP clients do not print.

                            > apparently certain remote activities in XP Pro require a password no
                            > matter what. If you are using XP, try giving the user
                            > a password, and make sure the same username and password is created
                            on the server.

                            Here is what I found today: On one of the Win XP clients that would
                            not print from FS DOS (Patron Acct. with no password), I logged on as
                            administrator and changed the Patron account to have administrator
                            rights. Then I logged off and back on as Patron. Now it will print
                            from FS DOS ???? What's up with that ?????

                            The batch file that runs at startup (all users) is:

                            net use lpt1: \\computer-5\HPLaserJ /persistent:yes

                            This batch file was installed by the previous CS. (he is unavailable)
                            Computer-5 is not the server, the printer is connected directly to the
                            network, so why is computer-5 designated in the batch file? Why are we
                            redirecting lpt1: on computer-5? I also tried including /user:patron
                            "" in the batch file and it printed with or without it (only when
                            Patron had administrator rights).

                            Even though the New Family Search 'is on the horizon' I would still
                            like to work this problem out, it's a matter of principle at this point !

                            I appreciate all your help,

                            Dave Young
                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 13, 2007
                              On Nov 13, 2007 1:32 PM, dave.young33 <dave.young33@...> wrote:
                              > changed the Patron account to have administrator
                              > rights. Then I logged off and back on as Patron. Now it will print
                              > from FS DOS ???? What's up with that ?????

                              Most likely a file rights issue. You might check and be sure that
                              Patron has full right to the C:\PAS directory. By default in Win2000,
                              everyone had access. In WinXP only admin has full access.

                              > net use lpt1: \\computer-5\HPLaserJ /persistent:yes
                              >
                              > This batch file was installed by the previous CS. (he is unavailable)
                              > Computer-5 is not the server, the printer is connected directly to the
                              > network, so why is computer-5 designated in the batch file?

                              Perhaps there is no way to direct to the network printer from DOS. So
                              it's being routed though another computer.