Java PAF?

  • Dana Repouille
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 12, 2007
      Anyone want to confirm or deny this?

      -----Original Message-----

      PAF is being ported to a JAVA application similar to what is now being done
      with the census collection system spoken of in the last issue of the Ensign
      and so will soon be cross platform as well. There are PAF compatible program
      that produce GEDCOM files for Linux now.
    • James W Anderson
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 12, 2007
        The best place for the latest information on this type
        of thing whether it be fact or just rumor is at
        http://beta.tech.lds.org/ in the genealogy/family
        history/PAF area.

        Not sure myself about PAF, but they indicate they are
        working on an API that will interface with New
        FamilySearch ('NFS'). Renee Zamora reports that one
        of the big record manager software developers is
        awaiting the release of that API so they can interface
        with NFS through it.

        PAF Insight will have to be retooled too. It won't
        work with the new system (confirmed) so I'm sure they
        will be working on that as well.

        --- Dana Repouille <drepouille@...> wrote:

        > Anyone want to confirm or deny this?

        http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/
      • Alan Whitcomb
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 12, 2007
          Actually, there is something like that in the works.. I have not followed it in some time, but I remember a name.. part of the LDS Open Source Software .. www.ldsoss.org  They have been discussing this for some time!

          While googling to find the last information, I remember a name of one of the members (same as the sealer that sealed me to my wife) .. so it was easy.. I found out that you can pay tithing via the internet!  My next email is to find out more on that :)

          Alan

          On 8/13/07, James W Anderson <genealogy248@...> wrote:

          The best place for the latest information on this type
          of thing whether it be fact or just rumor is at
          http://beta.tech.lds.org/ in the genealogy/family
          history/PAF area.

          Not sure myself about PAF, but they indicate they are
          working on an API that will interface with New
          FamilySearch ('NFS'). Renee Zamora reports that one
          of the big record manager software developers is
          awaiting the release of that API so they can interface
          with NFS through it.

          PAF Insight will have to be retooled too. It won't
          work with the new system (confirmed) so I'm sure they
          will be working on that as well.

          --- Dana Repouille <drepouille@...> wrote:

          > Anyone want to confirm or deny this?

        • Gordon Clarke
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 13, 2007
            PAF is NOT being ported to a JAVA Application.

            FamilySearch is very focused on the successfull roll-out and maintenance of the

            New FamilySearch website.  There are many software companies working on products

            that will be compatible with the PAF file and the New FamilySearch.  Some comes

            are working on New FamilySearch compatible products using the PAF Add-In

            Software Development Kit (SDK).  There are no plans to upgrade or release PAF

            source code.  Support of  PAF 5.2 application will continue for many years into

            the future.  We recommend that software developers consider consuming New

            FamilySearch Webservices and using compatible third-party products instead of

            looking for ways to enhance the PAF application. Contact Gordon Clarke

            (gclarke@...) for more information about FamilySearch API and

            Developer services.

          • Clinton Stimpson
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 13, 2007
              I see others gave some good answers on this topic.

              Not only are there PAF compatible GEDCOM producers for Linux....
              But PAF 5.2 itself runs on Linux and Intel Macs too.
              http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=1706
              I've been using PAF and PAF Insight on Linux for almost two years to
              support my personal research,
              and recreationally on Intel Macs for less than that.

              Clinton Stimpson

              Posted by: "Dana Repouille" drepouille@...
              <mailto:drepouille@...?Subject=%20Re%3AJava%20PAF%3F>
              drepouille <http://profiles.yahoo.com/drepouille>

              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 13, 2007
                Thanks Gordon, this information will save everyone the
                trouble of trying to dig through the LDS Tech forums
                for the same information.

                --- Gordon Clarke <clarkegj@...> wrote:

                > PAF is NOT being ported to a JAVA Application.
                >
                > FamilySearch is very focused on the successfull
                > roll-out and maintenance of the
                > New FamilySearch website. There are many software
                > companies working on > products that will be
                > compatible with the PAF file and the New
                > FamilySearch. Some companies are working on New
                > FamilySearch compatible products using the PAF
                Add-In > Software Development Kit (SDK). There are no
                plans > to upgrade or release PAF source code.
                Support of
                > PAF 5.2 application will continue for many years
                into > the future.

                > We recommend that software developers
                > consider consuming New FamilySearch Webservices and
                > using compatible third-party products instead of
                > looking for ways to enhance the PAF application.
                >
                > Contact Gordon Clarke (gclarke@...) for
                > more information about FamilySearch API and
                Developer > services.

                > NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of
                > the intended recipient(s) and may contain
                > confidential and privileged information. Any
                > unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution
                > is prohibited. If you are not the intended
                > recipient, please contact the sender by reply email
                > and destroy all copies of the original message.

                http://farechase.yahoo.com/
              • Skier
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 13, 2007
                  So is 5.2 considered the mature product and will not see any enhancements
                  for many years to come, if ever?

                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 13, 2007
                    I think the answer is that the church no longer needs to be developing
                    software like PAF. There are other companies out there producing
                    software for a reasonable price, if not free. That was not the case
                    when PAF was originally introduced.

                    The church is focusing it's limited resources in other areas that the
                    church is uniquely able to assist the work.

                    I suspect the plan is to allow other vendors to attract us to their
                    products through new features and abilities (such as interfacing with
                    nFS). PAF will be allowed to naturally fade away.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 13, 2007
                      Yes, PAF was one of the very first genealogy software
                      programs. Family Tree Maker started as a business
                      org-chart program, all the users did was invert the
                      org chart and instead of line and staff positions, put
                      in the family member names and branched things off the
                      individual names. This was while it was being run by
                      Banner Blue software. Several buyouts later it became
                      what it is now. Many others have come along since,
                      and are all widely used and you will generally
                      recognize all the names.

                      Actually, PAF 4, which PAF 5.2 is an upgrade of, was
                      built on a third-party product in the first place.
                      Ancestral Quest donated a basic version of their
                      software to the Church. For years people wanted a PAF
                      for Windows. That is where Ancestral Quest stepped in
                      and gave that basic version to the Church.