Re: [fhctech] LANDesk Update

  • Robert Harrison
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 5, 2007
      Hello, below is the message sent to me by the software developer who is now working on the ImageWizard issues.

      Hi Robert,

      My name is Dustin. I'm the developer. I am aware of the problem but I
      haven't yet had the opportunity to fix it yet. The issues is that the
      application runs as if signed on as the administrator. This was done
      to fix a problem we had with accessing the CD burner, but it brought
      about new unforeseen problems such as this printing issue and saving
      files to local folder (such as my documents).

      We had a developer leave last week and I've been training to take over
      his projects since he only gave 4 days notice. Hopefully I will be
      able to allocate some time this week to getting it fixed.

      Thanks,
      Dustin
      --
      MSC Imaging

      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 5, 2007
        I have updated the Odyssey package so that it puts the installation
        file in an "Odyssey Client" folder on the Desktop. FHCs will still
        need to contact the Global Service Desk to obtain an installation key.

        I have also updated the Image Wizard package to the latest version
        2.0.5.9.

        Lynn Shaw
        Network Engineer, Senior
        FamilySearch Support, CHQ
      • ldmsguy
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 5, 2007
          The File Refresh package is 3.39 MB and runs in less than 2 seconds.
          The Security Certificate install is 627 KB and runs in less than a
          second. The first system to download the packages did so over the
          WAN link, there after, all of the systems got it from the first
          system. On a 100 Mbps LAN, even with overhead and quadrupling the
          time, it would take less than 20 seconds per machine to transfer the
          files.

          I highly doubt it was these packages that made your systems "grind".
          If you're worried about it, I suggest you do some troubleshooting.

          --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, "Russell Hltn" <RussellHltn@...>

          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 5, 2007
            Any tools you can suggest? I'm looking for one that will match disk
            utilization to the process. The only ones I know of only match CPU
            utilization.

            wrote:

            > I wonder if that's why some of our machines were grinding away like
            > crazy on the hard drive last night when I did my updates. Pretty
            well
            > rendered the machines unusable Hope they got that out of their
            > system.

          • ldmsguy
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 5, 2007
              Under View, Select columns in Task Manager you can select:

              I/O Reads
              I/O Reads Bytes
              Page Faults Delta
              Virtual Memory Size
              I/O Writes
              I/O Writes Bytes

              You can also use Performance Monitor (perfmon.exe) to get detailed
              information.

              I'm not familar with the programs from SysInternals (now Microsoft)
              except in passing... I'm sure someone else on this forum has more
              ideas.

              Lynn

              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 5, 2007
                Ahhhhh. Big help. I find the "delta" values in Process Explorer are
                best since I'm more interested in what it's doing now rather then past
                history. But that does give me the tool I see to see who is rattling
                the disk drive.

                Thanks.

                On 6/5/07, ldmsguy <shawlh@...> wrote:
                > Under View, Select columns in Task Manager you can select:
                >
                > I/O Reads
                > I/O Reads Bytes
                > Page Faults Delta
                > Virtual Memory Size
                > I/O Writes
                > I/O Writes Bytes
                >
                > You can also use Performance Monitor (perfmon.exe) to get detailed
                > information.
                >
                > I'm not familar with the programs from SysInternals (now Microsoft)
                > except in passing... I'm sure someone else on this forum has more
                > ideas.
                >
                > Lynn
                >
                > --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, RussellHltn <RussellHltn@...> wrote:
                > >

                > > Any tools you can suggest? I'm looking for one that will match disk
                > > utilization to the process. The only ones I know of only match CPU
                > > utilization.

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Wayne Horscroft
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 5, 2007
                  wrote:
                  But that does give me the tool I see to see who is rattling
                  > the disk drive.

                  Hi Russell,
                  I found this program very useful to see what was unnecessarily using
                  cycles and disk drives at startup. It enabled me to take unwanted
                  items out of the startup routine without deleting the program. I can
                  then activitate the program whenever I want, at a timing more
                  suitable to our schedules.

                  Copied from the Help file of Autoruns.
                  Autoruns
                  Copyright © 1996-2005 Mark Russinovich and Bryce Cogswell
                  Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

                  This utility, which has the most comprehensive knowledge of auto-
                  starting locations of any startup monitor (A starting list of auto-
                  run locations was obtained from David Solomon's "Windows Internals"
                  seminar), shows you what programs are configured to run during system
                  bootup or login, and shows you the entries in the order Windows
                  processes them. These programs include ones in your startup folder,
                  Run, RunOnce, and other Registry keys. A "Hide Signed Microsoft
                  Entries" option helps you to zoom in on third-party auto-starting
                  images that have been added to your system.

                  You'll probably be surprised at how many executables are launched
                  automatically!

                  Autoruns works on all versions of Windows including Windows XP 64-bit
                  Edition (x64) and Windows Server 2003 64-bit Edition (x64).

                  End of clip.

                  I use it after program installs to see if something got added to my
                  desktops that drag them down,
                  Wayne Horscroft
                  Beaverton FHC, Oregon
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 5, 2007
                    Russell, regarding which desktop the files are downloaded to, I believe
                    since you have to run as an administrator to install them, and since you
                    must be logged on and actively initiate the download of those particular
                    files in the first place, I think they will download to the desktop you are
                    using at the time. Other files (like the ones that Symantec screwed up) will
                    get corrected in the background, but these install files take local user
                    action and would use the active login.

                    Gary Templeman
                  • (no author)
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 6, 2007
                      It can be installed over the top.

                      >>> <gtempleman1@...> 6/5/2007 5:44 PM >>>
                      Can it be installed over the top of the existing installation or should that be uninstalled/deleted first?

                      From: "Michael Tvedtnes" <TvedtnesMP@...>

                      GOOD NEWS.......

                      Two bugs have been fixed for Image Wizard 2.0 and the new version is now available for download. The latest version is 2.0.5.9.

                      The two issues are as follows:

                      1. Cannot print from Image Wizard when logged in as Patron or a non-administrative account

                      2. Image2PDFOCX.dll fails to register on installation

                      The instructions for obtaining the new version of Image Wizard are the same as was posted for initial installation. For those who need it here it is again:

                      Computer Requirements

                      ·         Microsoft Windows 2000 or Windows XP (recommended)

                      ·         Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0  for x86 (available from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/)

                      How to obtain Image Wizard 2.0

                      Pull up the LANDesk Software Deployment Portal from the LANDesk Management folder in the Start Menu.  The portal will connect to the LANDesk servers, download a list of packages available, and display them onscreen.  Expand Applications, select the radio button by Image Wizard 2.0.5.9 and click the Install Selected Application.  The installation files will be downloaded and put onto the computer desktop.  You may then install them where appropriate.

                      Michael Tvedtnes

                      World Wide Support

                      tvedtnesmp@...

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 6, 2007
                        If the files are manually requested, that makes sense. But it wasn't clear
                        if these were manual or automatic downloads. The main thing is that they
                        don't automatically show up where the patrons try to click on them.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 13, 2007
                          Lynn you might set the NIC cards to 10-Mbps for testing instead of using 100-Mbps.  That would be closer the WAN speeds that most of us are getting.  It may not make a difference in this case, but my FHC is receiving about 750-Kbps which is about 1/14th the speed of a 10-Mbps NIC (yup, I tried to upgrade the line but AT&T here in the heart of Silicon Valley hasn't upgraded the CO yet).  Most NICs these days have adjustable settings between 10- & 100- Mbps, so you can down-speed for tests and return to 100 Mbps for normal ops.

                          Bill Henderson, Santa Clara FHC

                          wrote:

                          > I wonder if that's why some of our machines were grinding away like
                          > crazy on the hard drive last night when I did my updates. Pretty
                          well
                          > rendered the machines unusable Hope they got that out of their
                          > system.
                          >

                          > > The following is now being silently deployed via LANDesk to all
                          > > family history center computers:
                          > >
                          > > 1) Script File Refresh - to replace all of the files deleted by
                          > > Symantec Antivirus when it was reporting false-positives.
                          > >
                          > > 2) Security Certificates - in preparation for making available the
                          > > new premium genealogy services.
                          > >
                          > > Lynn Shaw
                          > > Network Engineer, Senior
                          > > FamilySearch Support, CHQ