Russell's Bag o' tricks #1 - Silent login script

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 21, 2007
      I work really hard at being lazy. I like our FHC computer set up so
      that Patrons can do what they need to do, but they can't mess the
      machines up too badly. I've done and tested a number of thing at the
      center I work at to achieve that goal and it's worked quite wells.

      I keep promising to do a write-up of all the things I've done, but I
      just never seem to get around to doing it. I've decided that if it's
      going to get done at all, maybe I better just break it down into
      smaller parts I can get done rather then waiting until I get the whole
      book written.

      This first tip is a better way to run a login script. The simplest
      and obvious way is to put a batch file in the "Startup" directory will
      it will get run. The problem with that is that it opens a DOS box
      which is both distracting and can be closed by the patron.

      So here's another way:

      1) Take your existing file and change it to CMD file. (BAT and CMD
      files are more or less the same thing.) Don't have a file? Take a
      look at the one at the end of this message for ideas.

      2) Move the file to C:\WINNT\system32\GroupPolicy\User\Scripts\Logon
      (If Windows is installed in Windows rather then WINNT, make the
      approprate change.)

      3) Start | Run | gpedit.msc
      Caution! If you've ever wanted to FUBAR a machine, this is a good
      program to do it with. While the usage is straight forward, you need
      to take care because anything you do in here will affect ALL users,
      INCLUDING the Administrator. So if you lock things too far down,
      you'll lock yourself out.

      Now, with that warning out of the way, Work down the tree on the left
      hand side:

      Local Computer Policy | User Configuration | Windows Settings |
      Scripts (Logon/Logoff)

      On the right side, click "Logon". "Add" and then "Browse" for the CMD
      file you've just copied. Click "OK" and then exit the program.

      That's it!

      What have I got in my file? I've listed it below. (The drive
      mappings correspond to FHCTECH's suggested drive mapping.) Notice the
      liberal use of comments. Believe me, it makes life a whole lot
      easier! There's few things worse in life then trying to figure out
      your own mess. (Figuring out someone else's is one of them.)

      ;Start-up script

      ;Begin mapped drives

      ;Family History Library Catalog
      net use K: "\\Server\FHD-Other\FH Library Cat" /Persistent:Yes

      ;Freedman's Bank
      net use L: "\\Server\FHD-Other\Freedman" /Persistent:Yes

      ;Pedigree Resource File (PRF)
      net use M: "\\Server\PRFViewer" /Persistent:Yes

      ;Family Search (DOS)
      net use N: "\\Server\FS\AncestralFile" /Persistent:Yes
      net use O: "\\Server\FS\LibraryCatalog 18" /Persistent:Yes
      net use P: "\\Server\FS\IGI" /Persistent:Yes
      net use Q: "\\Server\FS\MilitaryIndex" /Persistent:Yes
      net use R: "\\Server\FS\ScottishRecords" /Persistent:Yes
      net use S: "\\Server\FS\SocialSecurity" /Persistent:Yes
      net use T: "\\Server\FS\IGI-Addendum" /Persistent:Yes

      ;Common data drive
      net use U: "\\Server\User Area" /Persistent:Yes

      ;Hidden Local Resources drive
      net use V: "\\Server\Local FHC" /Persistent:Yes

      ;Load Registry - IE Favorites
      regedit /s "C:\WINNT\Bootload\Registry\IEFavorites.reg"

      ;Reset PAF
      regedit /s "C:\WINNT\Bootload\Registry\ResetPAF.reg"

      ;Set the workstation to the server's time
      ;Placed last to avoid loosing connections for mapped drives.
      net time \\server /set /yes

      ;Set printer
      net use lpt1: "\\Dell-1742j\Computer Room" /Persistent:Yes

      That's all for Tricks #1.