RE: [fhctech] FamilySearch Indexing

  • Terri J.
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2007
      I was able to install it on a couple of our computers running W2K last year. I understand software changes were made since then, but I assume the ability to do so is still there. (And our systems didn't quite meet the requirements listed below).

      -Terri J.

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 19, 2007
        I'm a little slow catching up on messages. Here's what I know.
        Familysearchindexing (FSI) is a JAVA based program. It sometimes has a
        few quirks. It likes a clean install, meaning only 1 version of JAVA
        installed. It actually works best with JRE 5 update 11. The version
        that installs with the FSI install is JRE 5 update 6. An optional way
        to install the software is to download and install JAVA from their
        website. java.sun.com Then from familysearchindexing.org click on the
        start indexing button. Then it will detect the existing JAVA and only
        install the indexing software. Then just add the FSI link to your
        favorites. It works like a charm.

        Note: the indexing software isn't the resource hog, it's JAVA.

        Hope this is helpful to someone.
        Amy
      • billatkinsonbc
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 20, 2007
          Dana:

          I am running the indexing program at home on an XP machine, 350 MHz
          and 128MB RAM, which is obviously way below the listed specs.
          Everything works once it is up and running but you need to allow for
          like 5 minutes for an image to download.

          You can probably do it but you need people to understand that they
          have to have other things to do for the times that the images are
          like some crisp computer usage but if you need to do the indexing and
          that is all that you have available it is possible.

          Oh, I found that it was really important to keep as much space
          available on the hard drive as possible at least 512K, since it seems
          to use the hard drive for some virtual storage as it works.