Re: [fhctech] PEDIGREE RESOURCE FILE

  • Kathryn Marshall
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 28, 2007
      Thanks, Karen.

      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 4:33 PM
      Subject: Re: [fhctech] PEDIGREE RESOURCE FILE

      It's done. It's legal. Note that you have to get a couple of special
      passwords from the FHD to be able to network the files.

      We've got the complete set of CDs and DVDs on our server. We've also
      got all of the VRIs and everything else too. Collectively it takes up
      a dedicated hard drive. Can't remember of it's a 200 or 250GB right
      now.

      That said, you have to weight the cost/benefit here. If you don't
      already have close to 200GB of space on your server, you'll need to
      buy a drive. You'll also have to keep buying the updates as they
      ship. They seem to come in spurts. All in all, you're talking
      significant money for a FHC's budget.

      PRFMagnet will take the on-line indexes and stitch them together to
      get a usable file. It's always up to date and the writer is making it
      free to FHCs. The only real downside is that it doesn't have any
      sources information (and many contributors don't supply any, so not a
      lot is lost there) and it requires an Internet connection.

      Lastly I'd have to wonder how useful the PRF CDs will be with the new
      FamilySearch. Depending on how it's set up, it may be there already
      for reference.

      Yes, we do it. But if we were to do it over, we probably wouldn't.
      Not worth the money to my way of thinking.

      On 2/28/07, si02x <akjtr@hotmail. com> wrote:
      > The FHC manager want to load all the PRF cd's on to our server. Is
      > this a common practice out there?
      >
      > tia
      > jtr

    • Bill Henderson
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 5, 2007
        Yup, works fine. Last a long time.

        Bill H.

        si02x <akjtr@...> wrote:
        The FHC manager want to load all the PRF cd's on to our server. Is
        this a common practice out there?

        tia
        jtr

        8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time

      • ldmsguy
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 6, 2007
          New FamilySearch will be rolled out in stages (once it has
          gone "gold")... Its going to take a while before its available world-
          wide. However, all of the PRF data is definitely contained within
          its database.

          --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, "Russell Hltn" <RussellHltn@...>
          wrote:

          > It's done. It's legal. Note that you have to get a couple of
          special
          > passwords from the FHD to be able to network the files.
          >
          > We've got the complete set of CDs and DVDs on our server. We've
          also
          > got all of the VRIs and everything else too. Collectively it takes
          up
          > a dedicated hard drive. Can't remember of it's a 200 or 250GB right
          > now.
          >
          > That said, you have to weight the cost/benefit here. If you don't
          > already have close to 200GB of space on your server, you'll need to
          > buy a drive. You'll also have to keep buying the updates as they
          > ship. They seem to come in spurts. All in all, you're talking
          > significant money for a FHC's budget.
          >
          > PRFMagnet will take the on-line indexes and stitch them together to
          > get a usable file. It's always up to date and the writer is making
          it
          > free to FHCs. The only real downside is that it doesn't have any
          > sources information (and many contributors don't supply any, so not
          > lot is lost there) and it requires an Internet connection.
          >
          > Lastly I'd have to wonder how useful the PRF CDs will be with the
          new
          > FamilySearch. Depending on how it's set up, it may be there already
          > for reference.
          >
          > Yes, we do it. But if we were to do it over, we probably wouldn't.
          > Not worth the money to my way of thinking.
          >
          > On 2/28/07, si02x <akjtr@...> wrote:
          > > The FHC manager want to load all the PRF cd's on to our server. Is
          > > this a common practice out there?
          > >
          > > tia
          > > jtr

        • eauga2000
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 7, 2007
            --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, "ldmsguy" <shawlh@...> wrote:

            > However, all of the PRF data is definitely contained within
            > its database.

            I was a little slow on the uptake of your append, ldmsguy. Do I
            interpret your statement to mean that the 125 PRF CD's, which we
            currently use in our FHC, will no longer be needed once FamilySearch is
            rolled out?

            I had plans to streamline our network, including replacing the file
            servers containing the PRF CD's, by installing a NAS device.

            I'd be most curious what you can relate regarding this.

            My biggest confusion is not having the "big picture" of what designs
            the Church has for the FHC's? I view all the various appends to this
            forum talking about all the various complicated FHC installations and
            it's truely an amazement that the support people can survive the
            frustrations at their own hand.

            Ed, Colorado.