RE: [fhctech] Windows XP Image upgrade

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2007
      Family Search - Assuming you having it configured correctly on an older
      system, copy the PAS directory from the old system to the new one.

      As for the others, you might want to consider uninstalling and
      re-installing. While FHD has tried, it would be very difficult to produce
      an image that would work with all FHCs. Especially since they never gave us
      any guidelines on how to set up the network.
    • Perry E Shumway
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2007
        My experience has been that the FamilySearch installation CD will not run in the new Win. XP OS. I suggest that you copy the files in the PAS directory on a working PC to a PAS directory on a Flash Drive and then copy and past the directory to the new PC. Then if you need to edit the drive letters for the respective data catagories you can do this with Note Pad editing the PAS.INI file. I hope this is helpful and covers your question.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 1, 2007
          See my response to Lori Howe. It might be helpful.

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 1, 2007
            The *old* FamilySearch installation disk will not install on Windows XP.
            There is a version you can request from FHC Support that will. It is not
            actually a different version of FamilySearch itself, but a disk with some
            batch files and modified setup that allows it to run and simplifies network
            setup if you choose.

[...]

            <!--

            #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea {font:99%
            arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;}
            #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
            #ygrp-text{
            font-family:Georgia;
            }
            #ygrp-text p{
            margin:0 0 1em 0;
            }
            #ygrp-tpmsgs{
            font-family:Arial;
            clear:both;
            }
            #ygrp-vitnav{
            padding-top:10px;
            font-family:Verdana;
            font-size:77%;
            margin:0;
            }
            #ygrp-vitnav a{
            padding:0 1px;
            }
            #ygrp-actbar{
            clear:both;
            margin:25px 0;
            white-space:nowrap;
            color:#666;
            text-align:right;
            }
            #ygrp-actbar .left{
            float:left;
            white-space:nowrap;
            }
            .bld{font-weight:bold;}
            #ygrp-grft{
            font-family:Verdana;
            font-size:77%;
            padding:15px 0;
            }
            #ygrp-ft{
            font-family:verdana;
            font-size:77%;
            border-top:1px solid #666;
            padding:5px 0;
            }
            #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
            padding-bottom:10px;
            }

            #ygrp-vital{
            background-color:#e0ecee;
            margin-bottom:20px;
            padding:2px 0 8px 8px;
            }
            #ygrp-vital #vithd{
            font-size:77%;
            font-family:Verdana;
            font-weight:bold;
            color:#333;
            text-transform:uppercase;
            }
            #ygrp-vital ul{
            padding:0;
            margin:2px 0;
            }
            #ygrp-vital ul li{
            list-style-type:none;
            clear:both;
            border:1px solid #e0ecee;
            }
            #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
            font-weight:bold;
            color:#ff7900;
            float:right;
            width:2em;
            text-align:right;
            padding-right:.5em;
            }
            #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
            font-weight:bold;
            }
            #ygrp-vital a {
            text-decoration:none;
            }

            #ygrp-vital a:hover{
            text-decoration:underline;
            }

            #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
            color:#999;
            font-size:77%;
            }
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
            padding:6px 13px;
            background-color:#e0ecee;
            margin-bottom:20px;
            }
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
            padding:0 0 0 8px;
            margin:0;
            }
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
            list-style-type:square;
            padding:6px 0;
            font-size:77%;
            }
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
            text-decoration:none;
            font-size:130%;
            }
            #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
            background-color:#eee;
            margin-bottom:20px;
            padding:0 8px;
            }
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
            padding:8px 0;
            }
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
            font-family:Arial;
            font-weight:bold;
            color:#628c2a;
            font-size:100%;
            line-height:122%;
            }
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
            text-decoration:none;
            }
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
            text-decoration:underline;
            }
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
            margin:0;
            }
            o {font-size:0;}
            .MsoNormal {
            margin:0 0 0 0;
            }
            #ygrp-text tt{
            font-size:120%;
            }
            blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
            .replbq {margin:4;}
            -->

            http://mail.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 1, 2007
              Lori, you CAN get a copy of the FS installation from FHC Support, and as I
              said in another message, they have a copy designed to install on windows XP.
              You just need to get to the right person to request it. If the people you
              talk to can't seem to help, see if they can transfer you to Mike Tvedtnes or
              Richard Pendry.

              The image the Church sends out is pre-installed with FamilySearch, but it is
              configured with the need to use the CDs, because there is no way they know
              who is networked and how the networks are set up with drive mappings.
              FamilySearch uses multiple configuration files to tell the program where to
              find the data files, and they are difficult to manually edit. As Russell has
              said, one option would be to copy the PAS folder from a working machine, but
              you may still need to make some changes to get the new machines to print to
              the right location. The best option is to get the updated installation CD
              from Salt Lake and use it for the installation. Make sure you have the
              drives mapped FIRST, as they need to be present for the install program to
              find them or the config files do not get created properly.

              >I too have been unable to add the old DOS Family Search program on a new
              > computer and have a disgruntled patron because of it. The computers that
              > have the program do not have connections to the right printers that will
              > handle printouts from this program (which will print ascendancy charts not
              > just decendancy charts) The church doesn't support this old DOS program
              > and
              > I couldn't get a copy of the install program.
              >

              > Lori -Augusta ,ME FHC
              >

              > _____

            • Lori Howe
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 1, 2007
                Thank you so much but the computer I wish to install it on has 2000 on it. So I would need that version.

                Lori - Augusta Maine FHC

                .

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 1, 2007
                  The FamilySearch for XP CD also runs on W2K.

                  Gary