Anyone had this problem (logging into some websites at FHCs)?

  • James W Anderson
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 31, 2006
      Anyone had this problem? I don't know what his
      network configuration or other setup is such as OS or
      browser version or whether it's Mozilla or MS
      Explorer, but this is what he said was happening.

      Got this from the FHC consultant list on Yahoo.

      Has anyone else had problems logging on to certain
      websites from their FHC?

      I am having problems logging onto Heritage Quest (both
      Utah & Arizona library websites), Ancestry.com & the
      global exact phrase search on Utah Digital Newspapers.
      They all work at home but don't work at the FHC. It
      makes it kind of hard to help the patrons if I can't
      access these websites.

      Our FHC has 2 computers with ancestry, but sometime
      they are being used. Not a big problem, just an
      annoyance making the patrons play musical chairs.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 31, 2006
        I suggest that come Tuesday, you give the church's Networking department a
        call (Global Connect?) There may be a problem with the URL that the church
        firewall is messing up.

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 31, 2006
          I have been in our center for the last 3 days upgrading our computers to
          XP. In the process I have been accessing Ancestry to check the computer
          and the printer connection. I have not had any problems accessing
          Ancestry or any other sites since Thursday. The process has been going
          fairly smooth.
          Len Ingermanson
          Tucson FHC

          James W Anderson wrote:

          > Anyone had this problem? I don't know what his
          > network configuration or other setup is such as OS or
          > browser version or whether it's Mozilla or MS
          > Explorer, but this is what he said was happening.
          >
          > Got this from the FHC consultant list on Yahoo.
          >
          > Has anyone else had problems logging on to certain
          > websites from their FHC?
          >
          > I am having problems logging onto Heritage Quest (both
          > Utah & Arizona library websites), Ancestry.com & the
          > global exact phrase search on Utah Digital Newspapers.
          > They all work at home but don't work at the FHC. It
          > makes it kind of hard to help the patrons if I can't
          > access these websites.
          >
          > Our FHC has 2 computers with ancestry, but sometime
          > they are being used. Not a big problem, just an
          > annoyance making the patrons play musical chairs.

        • Skier
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 1, 2007
            James W Anderson wrote:

            > I am having problems logging onto Heritage Quest (both
            > Utah & Arizona library websites), Ancestry.com & the
            > global exact phrase search on Utah Digital Newspapers.
            > They all work at home but don't work at the FHC. It
            > makes it kind of hard to help the patrons if I can't
            > access these websites.

            Any time you are having trouble accessing websites always verify
            connectivity with a ping.

            Open a command window and type in the following line

            ping www.ancestry.com

            With only slight variations you should see the following:

            Pinging www.ancestry.com [66.43.22.49] with 32 bytes of data:

            Ping statistics for 66.43.22.49:

            This will tell you if you have a pathway to the website or not. If you
            get these results and the page isn't working then suspect firewall,
            browser or remote server issue.

            If you see something else.... well, that's something else.
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 1, 2007
              Just as a note, some sites don't allow ping. You'll get the IP address but
              that's all. So be cautious about reading too much into a failed ping.
              Ancestry is one of the sites that does allow ping. Microsoft.com does not.

              Any time you are having trouble accessing websites always verify
              connectivity with a ping.

              Open a command window and type in the following line

              ping www.ancestry.com

              With only slight variations you should see the following:

              Pinging www.ancestry.com [66.43.22.49] with 32 bytes of data:

              Reply from 66.43.22.49: bytes=32 time=54ms TTL=242 Reply from 66.43.22.49:
              bytes=32 time=54ms TTL=242 Reply from 66.43.22.49: bytes=32 time=53ms
              TTL=242 Reply from 66.43.22.49: bytes=32 time=53ms TTL=242

              Ping statistics for 66.43.22.49:
              Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss), Approximate round
              trip times in milli-seconds: