DOS FamilySearch printing glitches

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2006
      Had to rebuild a few computers over the last few months and an still finding
      little quirks. On some machined, printing from DOS FamilySearch was giving
      an initial page, which I turned off by editing passetup.txt (??) to set the
      banner printing to FALSE. (Why it was set to TRUE on some machines I have no
      clue).

      The current problem is some machines print fine, on other machines the print
      job does not start until exiting completely out of FS, on others the job
      goes to the printer and the warning light flashes, but does not print until
      the 'go' button is pushed. The timeout settings are all at 10 seconds. I
      recall something about DOS having to send some kind of end command, but do
      not see a place to set that.

      BTW, the printer is a HP 1320 attached to a Linux server, and all the
      computers printed smoothly to that prior to the hard drive crashes that
      precipitated the rebuilds. I 'think' they all have the same printer driver
      and spool settings, and all are using net use to redirect LPT1 to the
      printer share.

      Gary Templeman
    • Bill Henderson

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 2, 2006
          Well, you've got me. I know that with DOS programs, you usually have to set
          a time-out such that when the print data is quiet for so long, that the
          system can assuming the printing is finished.

          I keep thinking of Novell's command line for capturing the LPT port and
          routing it to a print server, but MS doesn't have quite the same
          functionality.

          I assume you did check the settings as documented here:
          http://www.fhctech.org/fhc/applications/fs.htm#tweaking

          Dumb question: Isn't there a setting in FS to eject the page when done? I
          wonder if that's it?