More Sloooo... printing

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2006
      Recently our scanner output is taking forever to print. The printer is an HP
      Laserjet 1320 connected directly to the computer through the parallel port,
      not on the network. Even so, I tried appending a period in the DNS settings,
      and also tried changing the print spooling settings to print directly to the
      printer, but there was no improvement. A single image scan I tested today
      took 6 minutes from the time the printer light started flashing until it was
      output. Opening the active printer icon and watching the print job, it took
      that long to process the 20 mb of information. The Transmission Retry
      setting under the LPT1 configuration is 90 seconds, the same default as my
      home computer.

      I do know a staff person called me a couple of weeks ago and said they were
      having some problems with the scanner, but then later, before I could call
      back, called again and said a patron there (who knew more about computers
      than them) "fixed it". What that person changed is a mystery.

      Any ideas?

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2006
        You probably know this, but my first question is what pixel size was
        the resulting scan and what resolution did that translate to when sent
        to the printer? This is one of those things that "more is not
        better". While the printer is rated at "1200" dpi, that's "dots per
        inch". That's not the same as pixels if you're printing grayscale. A
        laser printer has to use several black and white "dots" to make a
        "gray". I'd say if you are printing an image that turns out to be
        much more then 300 Pixels Per Inch for the printed size, that's just
        burdening the machine to crunch the file size down to something the
        printer can actually print.

        Along the same lines, downsizing the printed resolution in the driver
        probably helps too.
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 2, 2006
          Russell, you were on the right track. For some reason, the default setting
          of black & white at 300 dpi was not loading on launch (even after I deleted
          some user defined settings) or sticking after I entered it. As a
          consequence, every scan was being done at 256 shades of gray and 600 dpi
          unless manually changed. I had to re-image the machine to get it back to the
          correct default. I hope to figure out how it happened and an easier fix
          however.

          Gary

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 3, 2006
            Well that will do it. Between the grayscale and the DPI, that will
            cause the uncompressed image to be 32 times larger, if my math is
            correct.

            Glad you found it.