Re: Network Attached Storage

  • Wayne Horscroft
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 30, 2006
      --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, simonsen <simonsen@...> wrote:

      > Do any of the FHC use a network-attached storage unit?
      >
      > Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

      Suggestion

      Our network is peer-to-peer across 3 WIN2000 desktops and 4 WIN/XP
      desktops. I have chosen to put specific databases on different
      boxes and then map connections from the other desktops to the
      desktop with the database. Recently, our desktop with the internal
      HD for PRF database - includes 125 CDs and the 126 DVD (100+GB) -
      began to act up so I went this way.
      Copied all PRF data on a 300GB USB 7200 rpm external hard drive from
      Maxtor (paid $135). Setup new mappings, copied the databases and
      did the installs using the correct mapping.
      Reasoning, if the host desktop dies I can move the drive to another
      desktop with USB and then redo the specific mappings and we are back
      in business. Strangely enough, the application seems to be doing
      searches faster than the old internal HD setup.
      I work with a wardFHC in another building and have setup the same
      structure - works fine. Additional benefit I have a reciprocal off-
      site backup arrangement between the two centers.

      Wayne Horscroft
      Beaverton FHC, Oregon
    • TJ
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 1, 2006
        We use a network attached storage device in our library. It was put in
        place about 2 years ago and has worked out real well. It has 2 drives
        in a raid 1. The raid 1 gives us redundancy if the master drive fails
        so I'm not worried about loosing data. The unit we have in place is an
        older Linksys network attached storage device that is no loger sold.
        Here is a recent model model of basically what we are using:

        http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=634823

        LIke I said, it's been in use for over 2 years and has been very
        dependable. We have 4 PC's on the network that are accessing the
        files. The device also has a printer port and also acts as a print
        server.

        TJ

        --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, simonsen <simonsen@...> wrote:

        > Do any of the FHC use a network-attached storage unit?
        >
        > Our server went out because of a motherboard failure and we are
        thinking
        > of not replacing it
        > since it is only used for the Temple Ready Data and sharing printers.
        > We can share printers and data using Windows and have the files
        stored on
        > a network-attached storage unit. This solution would be less costly
        and
        > probably more reliable.
        >
        > Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

      • Thayne Watson
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006

          Ditto on this.  This is what I do for a living.  Adding a NAS server is one more management point.  For the FHC I opt for Keeping it Simple.  Buying one more hard drive is the least expensive way for our needs here.

          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006
            You can accomplish the same thing with a RIAD controller card and two hard
            drives generally a lot cheaper than the cost of a NAS however. What you show
            is $625 for a *single* 250 GB drive. A Promise RAID card is under $100 and
            one can find 250 GB drives for $80 each after rebate.

            > We use a network attached storage device in our library. It was put in
            > place about 2 years ago and has worked out real well. It has 2 drives
            > in a raid 1. The raid 1 gives us redundancy if the master drive fails
            > so I'm not worried about loosing data. The unit we have in place is an
            > older Linksys network attached storage device that is no loger sold.
            > Here is a recent model model of basically what we are using:
            >
            > http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=634823
            >
            > LIke I said, it's been in use for over 2 years and has been very
            > dependable. We have 4 PC's on the network that are accessing the
            > files. The device also has a printer port and also acts as a print
            > server.
            >
            > TJ
            >

            > --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, simonsen <simonsen@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Do any of the FHC use a network-attached storage unit?
            >>
            >> Our server went out because of a motherboard failure and we are
            > thinking
            >> of not replacing it
            >> since it is only used for the Temple Ready Data and sharing printers.
            >> We can share printers and data using Windows and have the files
            > stored on
            >> a network-attached storage unit. This solution would be less costly
            > and
            >> probably more reliable.
            >>
            >> Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Jonathan
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006
              We are currently running FreeNAS.
              http://blog.team-studer.com/jon/?p=11
              "FreeNAS is a free NAS (Network-Attached Storage) server, supporting:
              CIFS (samba), FTP, NFS, RSYNC protocols, local user authentication,
              Software RAID (0,1,5) with a Full WEB configuration interface.
              FreeNAS takes less than 32MB once installed on Compact Flash, hard
              drive or USB key."

              It's very easy to install and run. The documentation on the site is
              really easy to read. (http://www.freenas.org/)

              The really neat thing is that it does software RAID.
              No need to by a RAID controller. Software RAID is not as reliable as
              buying a Hardware RAID controller, but I've had no problem with it
              running in software RAID.

              We packed an old machine with 3 hard drive and have it setup with
              raid 5 so if one of the drives fails, it will continue to run.

              I'm actually setting it up at work to run our server for storing
              Ghost Images.

              My favorite part about it, is that it's free. I love using free
              software in the FHC it really helps the budget.
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006
                Anyone who wants to use this should read the FAQ however, where they say
                "FreeNAS is Alpha or Beta, its not a production release and it will have
                bugs in it. It is YOUR risk if you load valuable data onto FreeNAS. Review
                the FreeNAS licence before working with FreeNAS."

                It looks interesting but I would not trust mission critical information to
                Alpha or Beta software. At the FHC a failure might mean some patron
                inconvenience and at worst hours and hours of reloading CD data, but no
                other loss.

                > "FreeNAS is a free NAS (Network-Attached Storage) server, supporting:
                > CIFS (samba), FTP, NFS, RSYNC protocols, local user authentication,
                > Software RAID (0,1,5) with a Full WEB configuration interface.
                > FreeNAS takes less than 32MB once installed on Compact Flash, hard
                > drive or USB key."
                >
                > It's very easy to install and run. The documentation on the site is
                > really easy to read. (http://www.freenas.org/)
                >
                > The really neat thing is that it does software RAID.
                > No need to by a RAID controller. Software RAID is not as reliable as
                > buying a Hardware RAID controller, but I've had no problem with it
                > running in software RAID.
                >
                > We packed an old machine with 3 hard drive and have it setup with
                > raid 5 so if one of the drives fails, it will continue to run.
                >
                > I'm actually setting it up at work to run our server for storing
                > Ghost Images.
                >
                > My favorite part about it, is that it's free. I love using free
                > software in the FHC it really helps the budget.

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Jonathan
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006
                  Good point, but I do have to say I've been running it for over a year
                  with no problems.
                  -Jon

                  --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Templeman" <gtempleman1@...>
                  > It looks interesting but I would not trust mission critical
                  information to Alpha or Beta software. At the FHC a failure might mean
                  some patron inconvenience and at worst hours and hours of reloading CD
                  data, but no other loss.
                • eauga2000
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006
                    I've been following this thread with some interest regarding attached
                    storage and Raid duplication.

                    My question is regarding the PRF data stored on a file server or other
                    attached storage: Can the PRFViewer folder, with all its associated
                    files and folders, be merely copied from one location to another? So if
                    I were to install a hard drive on one of my client machines, I could
                    copy the PRFViewer folder from the file server and use it as my backup?
                    I dread the day when my file server crashes and I have to reload all
                    126 PRF cd/dvds!
                    Thanks.
                    Ed...
                  • Merlin R Kitchen
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006
                      Yes. I support more than one FHC and I have a removable USB external
                      hard drive onto which I load the PRF files at home and then connect that
                      drive to a FHC computer and copy to the FHC server. In one, I have a
                      server running linux and in another, a client machine is used as a server
                      (although you will have a difficult time getting the PRF to run on the
                      same client machine as is working as the server)

                      If you also put the setup files for both the MI and the PRF on the
                      server, you can do the installs on each client machine over your network
                      (which is required every time you add more CD's/DVD's to the server
                      files; and would also be required if you ever switched to a different
                      server)
                      Merlin Kitchen

                      On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 15:25:55 -0000 "eauga2000" <eauga2000@...>
                      writes:
                      > I've been following this thread with some interest regarding attached
                      >
                      > storage and Raid duplication.
                      >
                      > My question is regarding the PRF data stored on a file server or
                      > other
                      > attached storage: Can the PRFViewer folder, with all its associated
                      >
                      > files and folders, be merely copied from one location to another? So
                      > if
                      > I were to install a hard drive on one of my client machines, I could
                      >
                      > copy the PRFViewer folder from the file server and use it as my
                      > backup?
                      > I dread the day when my file server crashes and I have to reload all
                      >
                      > 126 PRF cd/dvds!
                      > Thanks.
                      > Ed...

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • eauga2000
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006
                        Thanks Merlin for the reply.
                        Well that's what I was thinking. Hookup the external USB HD somewhere
                        on the LAN or file server and copy over the PRFViewer folders onto
                        the USB HD for backup. I'd secure the backup HD. Then if a crash
                        occurs, on the file server, all I'd have to do is load from my
                        backup.

                        Your idea of loading updates at home is excellent and I could do that
                        with an external drive!

                        Thanks for the help.
                        Ed...