Network Attached Storage

  • simonsen
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 30, 2006
      Do any of the FHC use a network-attached storage unit?

      Our server went out because of a motherboard failure and we are thinking
      of not replacing it
      since it is only used for the Temple Ready Data and sharing printers.
      We can share printers and data using Windows and have the files stored on
      a network-attached storage unit. This solution would be less costly and
      probably more reliable.

      Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
    • eauga2000
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 30, 2006
        I would suppose you could install the TR data where ever you share
        the Pedigree Resource File (PRF) from?
        Ed..

        --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, simonsen <simonsen@...> wrote:

        > Do any of the FHC use a network-attached storage unit?
        >
        > Our server went out because of a motherboard failure and we are
        thinking
        > of not replacing it
        > since it is only used for the Temple Ready Data and sharing
        printers.
        > We can share printers and data using Windows and have the files
        stored on
        > a network-attached storage unit. This solution would be less
        costly and
        > probably more reliable.
        >
        > Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

      • John Vilburn
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 30, 2006
          If one of your existing computers has a reasonably large hard drive you could load the Temple Ready data on that and share it on the network. No need to buy any additionaly equipment.

          Aloha,
          John

          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 30, 2006
            I am not sure about the expectation of increased reliability. The NAS is
            basically a hard drive with electronics to operate it. The MTTF for the
            storage component may not be much different than any other hard drive, and
            ditto for the other circuitry vs. a motherboard.

            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 30, 2006
              Less costly? I guess if you buy your computers. You really don't
              need much power to run a server. Just about any old donated computer
              will do. I'm running on a 450MHz box. Watch the specials and you can
              get large hard drives for dirt cheap. I picked up a 250GB last week
              for $59 after rebate.

              The one thing you have to watch out for is that Win2000 pro is limited
              to 10 connections. That's 10 client computers for file services only,
              or 5 if the file server is also the print server. Beyond that, you
              need to try another tactic.
            • Wayne Horscroft
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 30, 2006
                --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, simonsen <simonsen@...> wrote:

                > Do any of the FHC use a network-attached storage unit?
                >
                > Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

                Suggestion

                Our network is peer-to-peer across 3 WIN2000 desktops and 4 WIN/XP
                desktops. I have chosen to put specific databases on different
                boxes and then map connections from the other desktops to the
                desktop with the database. Recently, our desktop with the internal
                HD for PRF database - includes 125 CDs and the 126 DVD (100+GB) -
                began to act up so I went this way.
                Copied all PRF data on a 300GB USB 7200 rpm external hard drive from
                Maxtor (paid $135). Setup new mappings, copied the databases and
                did the installs using the correct mapping.
                Reasoning, if the host desktop dies I can move the drive to another
                desktop with USB and then redo the specific mappings and we are back
                in business. Strangely enough, the application seems to be doing
                searches faster than the old internal HD setup.
                I work with a wardFHC in another building and have setup the same
                structure - works fine. Additional benefit I have a reciprocal off-
                site backup arrangement between the two centers.

                Wayne Horscroft
                Beaverton FHC, Oregon
              • TJ
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 1, 2006
                  We use a network attached storage device in our library. It was put in
                  place about 2 years ago and has worked out real well. It has 2 drives
                  in a raid 1. The raid 1 gives us redundancy if the master drive fails
                  so I'm not worried about loosing data. The unit we have in place is an
                  older Linksys network attached storage device that is no loger sold.
                  Here is a recent model model of basically what we are using:

                  http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=634823

                  LIke I said, it's been in use for over 2 years and has been very
                  dependable. We have 4 PC's on the network that are accessing the
                  files. The device also has a printer port and also acts as a print
                  server.

                  TJ

                  --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, simonsen <simonsen@...> wrote:

                  > Do any of the FHC use a network-attached storage unit?
                  >
                  > Our server went out because of a motherboard failure and we are
                  thinking
                  > of not replacing it
                  > since it is only used for the Temple Ready Data and sharing printers.
                  > We can share printers and data using Windows and have the files
                  stored on
                  > a network-attached storage unit. This solution would be less costly
                  and
                  > probably more reliable.
                  >
                  > Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

                • Thayne Watson
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006

                    Ditto on this.  This is what I do for a living.  Adding a NAS server is one more management point.  For the FHC I opt for Keeping it Simple.  Buying one more hard drive is the least expensive way for our needs here.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006
                      You can accomplish the same thing with a RIAD controller card and two hard
                      drives generally a lot cheaper than the cost of a NAS however. What you show
                      is $625 for a *single* 250 GB drive. A Promise RAID card is under $100 and
                      one can find 250 GB drives for $80 each after rebate.

                      > We use a network attached storage device in our library. It was put in
                      > place about 2 years ago and has worked out real well. It has 2 drives
                      > in a raid 1. The raid 1 gives us redundancy if the master drive fails
                      > so I'm not worried about loosing data. The unit we have in place is an
                      > older Linksys network attached storage device that is no loger sold.
                      > Here is a recent model model of basically what we are using:
                      >
                      > http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=634823
                      >
                      > LIke I said, it's been in use for over 2 years and has been very
                      > dependable. We have 4 PC's on the network that are accessing the
                      > files. The device also has a printer port and also acts as a print
                      > server.
                      >
                      > TJ
                      >

                      > --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, simonsen <simonsen@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> Do any of the FHC use a network-attached storage unit?
                      >>
                      >> Our server went out because of a motherboard failure and we are
                      > thinking
                      >> of not replacing it
                      >> since it is only used for the Temple Ready Data and sharing printers.
                      >> We can share printers and data using Windows and have the files
                      > stored on
                      >> a network-attached storage unit. This solution would be less costly
                      > and
                      >> probably more reliable.
                      >>
                      >> Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Jonathan
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006
                        We are currently running FreeNAS.
                        http://blog.team-studer.com/jon/?p=11
                        "FreeNAS is a free NAS (Network-Attached Storage) server, supporting:
                        CIFS (samba), FTP, NFS, RSYNC protocols, local user authentication,
                        Software RAID (0,1,5) with a Full WEB configuration interface.
                        FreeNAS takes less than 32MB once installed on Compact Flash, hard
                        drive or USB key."

                        It's very easy to install and run. The documentation on the site is
                        really easy to read. (http://www.freenas.org/)

                        The really neat thing is that it does software RAID.
                        No need to by a RAID controller. Software RAID is not as reliable as
                        buying a Hardware RAID controller, but I've had no problem with it
                        running in software RAID.

                        We packed an old machine with 3 hard drive and have it setup with
                        raid 5 so if one of the drives fails, it will continue to run.

                        I'm actually setting it up at work to run our server for storing
                        Ghost Images.

                        My favorite part about it, is that it's free. I love using free
                        software in the FHC it really helps the budget.
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006
                          Anyone who wants to use this should read the FAQ however, where they say
                          "FreeNAS is Alpha or Beta, its not a production release and it will have
                          bugs in it. It is YOUR risk if you load valuable data onto FreeNAS. Review
                          the FreeNAS licence before working with FreeNAS."

                          It looks interesting but I would not trust mission critical information to
                          Alpha or Beta software. At the FHC a failure might mean some patron
                          inconvenience and at worst hours and hours of reloading CD data, but no
                          other loss.

                          > "FreeNAS is a free NAS (Network-Attached Storage) server, supporting:
                          > CIFS (samba), FTP, NFS, RSYNC protocols, local user authentication,
                          > Software RAID (0,1,5) with a Full WEB configuration interface.
                          > FreeNAS takes less than 32MB once installed on Compact Flash, hard
                          > drive or USB key."
                          >
                          > It's very easy to install and run. The documentation on the site is
                          > really easy to read. (http://www.freenas.org/)
                          >
                          > The really neat thing is that it does software RAID.
                          > No need to by a RAID controller. Software RAID is not as reliable as
                          > buying a Hardware RAID controller, but I've had no problem with it
                          > running in software RAID.
                          >
                          > We packed an old machine with 3 hard drive and have it setup with
                          > raid 5 so if one of the drives fails, it will continue to run.
                          >
                          > I'm actually setting it up at work to run our server for storing
                          > Ghost Images.
                          >
                          > My favorite part about it, is that it's free. I love using free
                          > software in the FHC it really helps the budget.

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Jonathan
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006
                            Good point, but I do have to say I've been running it for over a year
                            with no problems.
                            -Jon

                            --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Templeman" <gtempleman1@...>
                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006
                              I've been following this thread with some interest regarding attached
                              storage and Raid duplication.

                              My question is regarding the PRF data stored on a file server or other
                              attached storage: Can the PRFViewer folder, with all its associated
                              files and folders, be merely copied from one location to another? So if
                              I were to install a hard drive on one of my client machines, I could
                              copy the PRFViewer folder from the file server and use it as my backup?
                              I dread the day when my file server crashes and I have to reload all
                              126 PRF cd/dvds!
                              Thanks.
                              Ed...
                            • Merlin R Kitchen
                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006
                                Yes. I support more than one FHC and I have a removable USB external
                                hard drive onto which I load the PRF files at home and then connect that
                                drive to a FHC computer and copy to the FHC server. In one, I have a
                                server running linux and in another, a client machine is used as a server
                                (although you will have a difficult time getting the PRF to run on the
                                same client machine as is working as the server)

                                If you also put the setup files for both the MI and the PRF on the
                                server, you can do the installs on each client machine over your network
                                (which is required every time you add more CD's/DVD's to the server
                                files; and would also be required if you ever switched to a different
                                server)
                                Merlin Kitchen

                                On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 15:25:55 -0000 "eauga2000" <eauga2000@...>
                                writes:
                                > I've been following this thread with some interest regarding attached
                                >
                                > storage and Raid duplication.
                                >
                                > My question is regarding the PRF data stored on a file server or
                                > other
                                > attached storage: Can the PRFViewer folder, with all its associated
                                >
                                > files and folders, be merely copied from one location to another? So
                                > if
                                > I were to install a hard drive on one of my client machines, I could
                                >
                                > copy the PRFViewer folder from the file server and use it as my
                                > backup?
                                > I dread the day when my file server crashes and I have to reload all
                                >
                                > 126 PRF cd/dvds!
                                > Thanks.
                                > Ed...

                                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • eauga2000
                                Message 15 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006
                                  Thanks Merlin for the reply.
                                  Well that's what I was thinking. Hookup the external USB HD somewhere
                                  on the LAN or file server and copy over the PRFViewer folders onto
                                  the USB HD for backup. I'd secure the backup HD. Then if a crash
                                  occurs, on the file server, all I'd have to do is load from my
                                  backup.

                                  Your idea of loading updates at home is excellent and I could do that
                                  with an external drive!

                                  Thanks for the help.
                                  Ed...