Re: screen shot software

  • Jim Perkins
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 15, 2006
      I use quick screen capture and really like it, support isn't great
      but its pretty simple and not alot needed.
      http://www.etrusoft.com/
      Jim Perkins

      --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, "Jill A. Holmes"
      <linkingfamilies@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > I am working on some powerpoint presentations for FHC training and
      I have an
      > old version of some kind of screen shot software. I want to get
      new but
      > within a budget. Any suggestions of a good screen shot software
      for PP?

      > I want to 'take snapshots' of website pages mostly. I also want
      to prepare
      > a PP of 'how to's' on computer usage.
      >

      > Thanks,
      >
      > Jill in CA

    • Gary Tarbet
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 15, 2006

        Been using this one for years.  Love it.  Simple and free.  Hard to beat.

        GaryT
        Ashburn VA

        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 15, 2006
          I have two options. I use Printkey regularly but have not used the other.
          You might want to also check out the program Wink. It allows you to easily
          create training materials that use screen captures with the addition of
          navigation buttons, titles, etc. Highly recommended.

          Gary Templeman
          PrintKey 2000
          (Freeware) (last available Freeware version)
          OS: Windows 9x
          Languages: English
          screen. It lets you capture the desktop, active window or select a
          rectangular portion. You can also optionally include the cursor in the
          capture. There are many options including auto-capture at fixed intervals,
          stretching, centering, mirroring, and inverting the image. Captures can be
          saved in BMP, JPEG, JPG, EMF, WMF format, or edited with your graphic
          program.

          Download v 5.10 (557 KB)
          http://home.pb.net/~kclarke/pub/printkey510ef.zip

          MWSnap
          (Donationware)
          OS: Windows (32-bit)
          Languages: English, language pack for many other languages
          (capturing) images from selected parts of the screen. Current version is
          capable of capturing the whole desktop, a highlighted window, an active
          menu, a control, or a fixed or free rectangular part of the screen. MWSnap
          handles 5 most popular graphics formats and contains several graphical
          tools: a zoom, a ruler, a color picker and a window spy. It can be also used
          as a fast picture viewer or converter. MWSnap does not require installation
          and does not need any special dlls, drivers or system files which can mess
          up your system.
          Author: Mirek Wójtowicz Company: --
          Home Page:
          http://www.mirekw.com/winfreeware/mwsnap.html
          Download v 3.00.0.74 (2002-07-06) (643kb) (Setup exe)
          http://www.mirekw.com/winfreeware/files/MWSnap300.exe
          Download v 3.00.0.74 (2002-07-06) (601kb) (zip)
          http://www.mirekw.com/winfreeware/files/MWSnap300.zip

          Wink
          Company: -- Author: Satish Kumar
          (Freeware)
          Windows OS: Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP
          Other OS: Linux
          Languages: English and many other languages
          primarily aimed at creating tutorials on how to use software. Using Wink you
          can capture screenshots of your software, use images that you already have,
          type-in explanations for each step, create a navigation sequence complete
          with buttons, delays, titles etc and create a highly effective tutorial for
          your users. Output formats: Macromedia Flash, Standalone EXE, PDF,
          PostScript, HTML or any of the above image formats. Use Flash/html for the
          web, EXE for distributing to PC users and PDF for printable manuals.
          Home page:
          http://www.debugmode.com
          download page v 2.0 build 1000 (2006-04-12) [ wink20.zip (2832 KB)]
          http://www.debugmode.com/wink/download.php

          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 15, 2006
            Mozilla browsers, and I think both regular Mozilla and
            Firefox, have email clients that allow you to attach a
            webpage and send the screenshot in your email to
            someone.

            That can come in handy when directing someone to a
            resource online, rather than tell them where the link
            is, especially if there is an image on the page that
            is vital to the communication, such as a scan of a
            record.

            --- Jim Perkins <bcfhc@...> wrote:

            > I use quick screen capture and really like it,
            > support isn't great
            > but its pretty simple and not alot needed.
            > http://www.etrusoft.com/
            > Jim Perkins
            >

            > --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, "Jill A. Holmes"
            > <linkingfamilies@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello,
            > >
            > > I am working on some powerpoint presentations for
            > FHC training and
            > I have an
            > > old version of some kind of screen shot software.
            > I want to get
            > new but
            > > within a budget. Any suggestions of a good screen
            > shot software
            > for PP?
            > >

            > > I want to 'take snapshots' of website pages
            > mostly. I also want
            > to prepare
            > > a PP of 'how to's' on computer usage.
            > >

            > > Thanks,
            > >
            > > Jill in CA

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • slweaver
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 15, 2006
              I use SnagIt Screen Capture by Techsmith easy to use. You can download a
              trial version. Website is at http://www.techsmith.com/

              Sterrie

              Newport News, VA FHC

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 15, 2006
                If you are using Windows XP a simple "Alt PrtScn" will capture the visible webpage, "Alt Tab" to Powerpoint and "Ctrl V" to insert the image in PP.

                Works great for simple presentations. No additional software needed.

                Roy

                Genealogy without Sources is Mythology

                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 15, 2006
                  Works fine in Win2000 too.  That's how I do it.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 15, 2006
                    SnagIt is a comprehensive full featured screen capture program. It is
                    really cool for captureing and editing screen shots. It has a half-
                    dozen modes, one of which is an adjustable time delay to allow the pull
                    down of menu dialogs before capture.

                    The editor allows the user to draw arrows and insert text on to the
                    captured image.

                    The installer places an icon onto the Google toolbar. Nice! Our FHC
                    patrons love this as they can capture Ancestory.Com screens, edit them
                    with commentary, and store them on their thumb drives.
                    Ed...
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 15, 2006
                      Works fine if all you want/need is the full screen. If you want a segment
                      (perhaps so it can be enlarged), you have to paste it into a graphics editor
                      first (Paint, Photoshop, etc), crop out the unnecessary stuff, copy and
                      paste again. The supplemental software utilities make it easier when some
                      "fiddling" is needed. Since many of them are free they are just nice to have
                      in the toolbox.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 15, 2006
                        Print Scrn is the full window. Alt-Print Scrn is just the active
                        window. If you only want part of a active window then what you say is
                        correct.

                        I guess it's like cell phones. I've never used screen capture
                        software, so I don't know what I'm missing. <g> (Remember how many
                        people wondered "why" when cell phones came out? And then they got
                        one? <g>)

                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 15, 2006
                          At $30-40/user? Sorry, I'm too cheap.

                          Is there a cheaper price for FHC/Non-profit?

                          On 9/15/06, eauga2000 <eauga2000@...> wrote:
                          > SnagIt is a comprehensive full featured screen capture program. It is
                          > really cool for captureing and editing screen shots. It has a half-
                          > dozen modes, one of which is an adjustable time delay to allow the pull
                          > down of menu dialogs before capture.
                          >
                          > The editor allows the user to draw arrows and insert text on to the
                          > captured image.
                          >
                          > The installer places an icon onto the Google toolbar. Nice! Our FHC
                          > patrons love this as they can capture Ancestory.Com screens, edit them
                          > with commentary, and store them on their thumb drives.
                          > Ed...

                        • eauga2000
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 15, 2006
                            There is a 5 license pack which reduces the price a little. For what
                            SnagIt does, $40 is a more than a fair price, IMHO. Consider the
                            amount of paper, ink, and wear on a printer that can be saved at an
                            FHC by allowing patrons to save the images to HD or floppy.
                            Ed..

                            --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, "Russell Hltn" <RussellHltn@...>

                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 15, 2006
                              Call me stubborn, but I like "free". Especially when it comes to FHC
                              $. I see others have suggested free capture software. I may try
                              them.

                              As for Ancestry, I remember saving files using nothing but the
                              Ancestry viewer. No need to use screen shot software for that.
                              What's more is that the saved file is at full resolution, not at the
                              screen resolution.

                              On 9/15/06, eauga2000 <eauga2000@...> wrote:
                              > There is a 5 license pack which reduces the price a little. For what
                              > SnagIt does, $40 is a more than a fair price, IMHO. Consider the
                              > amount of paper, ink, and wear on a printer that can be saved at an
                              > FHC by allowing patrons to save the images to HD or floppy.
                              > Ed..

                            • Alan Whitcomb
                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 16, 2006
                                I like free too. True its a bit more work if you only want a partial screen capture.. but I generally like this..

                                1. Open MS Paint (part of Windows 98/2000/XP
                                2. open the window you want to copy
                                3. press SHIFT (Print Screen)
                                4. go to your MS Paint program
                                5. press control C (or Edit Paste)

                                It´s not too hard and costs NOTHING..  If you know how ALT-TAB works its even easier

                                Alan
                                Pamplona

                                On 9/16/06, Russell Hltn <RussellHltn@...> wrote:

                                Call me stubborn, but I like "free". Especially when it comes to FHC
                                $. I see others have suggested free capture software. I may try
                                them.

                                As for Ancestry, I remember saving files using nothing but the
                                Ancestry viewer. No need to use screen shot software for that.
                                What's more is that the saved file is at full resolution, not at the
                                screen resolution.

                              • Greg A. Anderson
                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 16, 2006
                                  For screen capture I haven't found anything better then HoverSpap. It lets you capture the full screen, active window or selected part of the screen using the print key with either CTRL, Shift or Alt and puts the captured image in a jpg or gif file. Best of all it is free. You can find it at http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

                                  Hope that helps a bit.
                                  Greg A. Anderson
                                  ByondF1's Hi-Tech Superstore - http://byondf1.com
                                  -