Re: [fhctech] Logitech USB Headset

    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 12, 2006
      Well, perhaps the reason they sent a USB device is because the computers
      they were shipping in past years didn't have *any* sound card. For many
      centers that may be the only computer they have. With reports of some
      centers still using 486's we also can't assume that everyone has on-board
      sound. The mic function may have been a part of the consideration too.

      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 12, 2006
        What computer would that be? The dc7100(I think that's the model) and the
        d530 before it both had sound card connectors in the front panel. The older
        Dells that I know of had a built-in sound card in the rear. Basic sounds
        cards have been a part of the motherboard for so long that I'd think that
        any sound card-less computers would have been officially replaced (not that
        the center would have tossed it out) but the current official computer would
        have a sound card.

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 12, 2006
          Oops. Forgot to add, I'd be surprised to find a computer that had a USB
          port that didn't have a sound card. Those old 486's don't have USB.

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 12, 2006
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 16, 2006
              I am guessing that the headset is part of the package the Church got with Dell or Image Wizard+, related to the PC/Scanner/Printer package the Church sent us a couple months ago (that is when we got it).  Don't know the why (as it may be related to the package), maybe just part of the Dell's packaging.

              I don't believe it has anything to do with LANdesk.  While LANdesk can take over your computer (with your permission), I don't think they have that capability yet.  At least I still have to call them by phone to communicate with them and activate LANdesk before it kicks in. I have had a few encounters with the LANdesk folks and walked away with good results.   They typically are the HQ support (read tier 3 - they said they are not supposed to be called tier 3 anymore) folks we DO want to talk to.

              Bill H.

              Len Ingermanson <len438@...> wrote:
              salbacka wrote:

              > Is anyone else getting Logitech USB headsets from SLC? We are in
              > transition between directors and the new one just handed me a USB
              > headset with stereo headphones and a mic on them. Is this truely from
              > SLC or was there miscommunication?
              >
              > If it is from SLC is this for use with LAN desk?

              We receive a headset from the Family History Department late last year
              or early this year, can't remember now. The letter that came with the
              headset stated that it would be for future use. Didn't explain anything
              else. We also received a DVD about the maintenance of the microfilm
              readers. Haven't had a need to look at it yet, but I think you could
              use the headset when viewing the DVD. Thank is about all I know about it.
              Len Ingermanson
              Tucson

            • Don L. Blanchard
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 23, 2006
                This may have been discussed and I missed it.

                Has anyone successfully installed the DVD #126 for Pedigree Resource File.  After installing it last Friday night, PRF quite working.  I can go into the program and see all of the disks including the DVD, but when you try to due a Pedigree Search I get the following error message:

                Cannot open file P:\MI_PRF|COMPR_MI010001.bits  (P: is my drive number).

                I also experienced trouble with some machines not accepting the Network Key activation although others did accept it okay.

                That errror message was:  Error finding input file C:\PRF VIWER|VOL 02\MI.sdc

                I spent 10 1/2 hours reinstalling all of the disks to see if that would remedy the problem, but it didn't change anything.

                Don
                Cedar City FHC
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 23, 2006
                  >>> P:\MI_PRF|COMPR_MI010001.bits <<<

                  The | character is not legal in a path name.  If you can find out where that's coming from and replace it with a "\" then it might work.
                • Merlin R Kitchen
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 23, 2006
                    Previous versions of the Pedigree Resource file had the index on 4 CD's
                    and the many files are saved on the hard drive in folders known as Vol01,
                    Vol02, Vol03, and Vol04.
                    Starting with DVD126, the index is all in one volume, so you copy all of
                    the index files into Vol01 and delete Vol02, Vol03, and Vol04 (I
                    actually just renamed all of them to OldVolxx, and created a new Vol01)
                    That should fix your problem.
                    Merlin Kitchen
                  • Don L. Blanchard
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 25, 2006
                      I was able to get a successful installation of the Pedigree Resource File last night using the recommendation of Merlin Kitchen as noted below; although it was not necessary to create a new Vol01.  It appears that the new DVD 126 puts everything into Vol01.  All I had to do was rename Vol02, Vol03, and Vol04 as OldVol02, OldVol03, and OldVol04 run the Setup files in the PRF and MI folders located  on the server from each computer that is connected to it.  You then run the network activation key.  This has to be done for each computer.  Thank you to all who had suggestions.

                      I made some typos in my original inquiry about the error messages, but since they were just the error messages they had no bearing on the actual setup.  When I wrote that I E-mail I had been up for over 24 hours and my typing skills are more on the order of "Hunt and Peck" anyway.  My biggest regret from high school was that I didn't take typing.

                      It's a good thing that these are volunteer jobs because otherwise they probably couldn't pay us enough to do it.

                      Don
                      Cedar City FHC