Dell/Cannon scanner combo problems. Can't burn CDs, now comp won't stay on.

  • beacon1ny
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2006
      We have a new scanner/dell set-up in our FHC but it keeps crashing.
      Currently when you try to get to the desktop from administrator or
      patron mode it boots up and then reboots back to the log-in screen.

      Our director and computer guy spent HOURS on the phone with Dell and
      we had a less than satisfactory service call after MUCH discussion
      with Dell's support.

      All we want to do is to be able to use the Computer/Scanner combo to
      make paper copies AND to burn CDs. We have not been able to
      successfully burn CDs.

      Has anyone else had problems with their scanner/Dell combo? Any ideas?

      Thanks.
      Sharon
      Buffalo New York FHC
    • Bill Henderson
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 7, 2006
        From what you describe, the computer isn't the problem, so calling Dell probably won't help.  Sounds like a software problem. There is a version 1.2 of the scanner image software (may still be in beta) call the LDS FHC HQ support (877-407-1830) and ask them about it.  You need to isolate the problem further.  Does the computer work alright without the scanner, and vice versa.  What is your method for burning CDs?  Hopefully, you are saving the image to the harddrive then burning it.  I recommend that you re-partition the harddrive so C: drive is about 15-20 GBytes and the remainder to D: drive (Partition Magic (now owned by Symantec) will do this and there are a number of downloadable partitioning tools too).  By doing this C: can be used only for the operating system and installed tools and D: can be used to save images for burning with the CDROM burner (as well as the pagefile, data, and log files, etc).  You may also go to www.familysearch.org and download the Landesk utility and install it on the scanner-computer.  I suspect that FHC HQ suport will want it installed to let them do a "over-the-wire" fix for you.

        When we first got our scanner-computer unit I called "Image Wizard+" manufacturers about another problem that most of us were having at that time and they redirected me to the LDS support folks because they had no support staff for end users (us).

        Understand, there are two levels of support at Salt Lake City, a volunteer group who can assist with uncomplicated issues, and a paid "expert" group who are better able to handle problems like yours (they don't want to be called tier 2 and tier 3 anymore).  Hope this offers a little more help.

        Bill H..

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 7, 2006
            Make sure you turn on the scanner first then the Dell computer
            second. That seemed to solve most of our problems here at Bellevue
            WA FHC . Rich Bullock

            --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, Bill Henderson <wch3120@...> wrote:

            > From what you describe, the computer isn't the problem, so calling
            Dell probably won't help. Sounds like a software problem. There is
            a version 1.2 of the scanner image software (may still be in beta)
            call the LDS FHC HQ support (877-407-1830) and ask them about it.
            You need to isolate the problem further. Does the computer work
            alright without the scanner, and vice versa. What is your method
            for burning CDs? Hopefully, you are saving the image to the
            harddrive then burning it. I recommend that you re-partition the
            harddrive so C: drive is about 15-20 GBytes and the remainder to D:
            drive (Partition Magic (now owned by Symantec) will do this and
            there are a number of downloadable partitioning tools too). By
            doing this C: can be used only for the operating system and
            installed tools and D: can be used to save images for burning with
            the CDROM burner (as well as the pagefile, data, and log files,
            etc). You may also go to www.familysearch.org and download the
            Landesk
            > utility and install it on the scanner-computer. I suspect that
            FHC HQ suport will want it installed to let them do a "over-the-
            wire" fix for you.

            > When we first got our scanner-computer unit I called "Image
            Wizard+" manufacturers about another problem that most of us were
            having at that time and they redirected me to the LDS support folks
            because they had no support staff for end users (us).

            > Understand, there are two levels of support at Salt Lake City, a
            volunteer group who can assist with uncomplicated issues, and a
            paid "expert" group who are better able to handle problems like
            yours (they don't want to be called tier 2 and tier 3 anymore).
            Hope this offers a little more help.

            > Bill H..
            >
            > beacon1ny <beacon1@...> wrote:
            > We have a new scanner/dell set-up in our FHC but it
            keeps crashing.
            > Currently when you try to get to the desktop from administrator or
            > patron mode it boots up and then reboots back to the log-in screen.
            >
            > Our director and computer guy spent HOURS on the phone with Dell
            and
            > we had a less than satisfactory service call after MUCH discussion
            > with Dell's support.
            >
            > All we want to do is to be able to use the Computer/Scanner combo
            > make paper copies AND to burn CDs. We have not been able to
            > successfully burn CDs.
            >
            > Has anyone else had problems with their scanner/Dell combo? Any
            ideas?

            > Thanks.
            > Sharon
            > Buffalo New York FHC
            >

            > ---------------------------------
            > See the all-new, redesigned Yahoo.com. Check it out.

          • Bill Henderson
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 9, 2006
              Good point, the Scanner is a SCSI peripheral, which MUST be turned on before the computer.  This is standard SCSI behavior and is explained in the owners/users instructions for the system.

              Bill H.

            • Patty Gaddis
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 31, 2006
                I realize this is an old message, but thought this might help.

                When we first got our system, I couldn't get the librarians to remember to
                turn on the scanner first then the computer. Being a SCSI connection meant
                nothing to them. So, I plugged it all into a power strip they can access
                and tell them to turn on the system from there. The scanner is ready long
                before the computer starts to boot up and sees it just fine. No problems
                since with the scanner being turned on first.

                Patty