HP 1320n Printer

  • David J. Wardell
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2, 2006
      We recently replaced our FHC printer with an HP 1320n, which is a network-enabled device. It works fine (very fast) with the
      exception of one (Windows 2000) workstation. This particular machine prints just fine, but does not clear the jobs from the print
      queue once they are complete. Thus, when the machine is restarted, it automatically begins printing all the jobs that were in the
      queue--unless they are deleted manually before restart.

      There does not appear to be an obvious setting for this behavior in Windows 2000, or in the printer software. Reinstalling the
      printer software produced no results, nor did deleting the printer from Windows and re-enabling it.

      Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to make this machine behave as it is supposed to?

      Many thanks in advance,

      David Wardell
      McLean Virginia FHC
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2, 2006
        That's a strange one.  First thing is to check the HP website for newer drivers.

        Next you might want to check the user's right to that printer.  (Right click the printer, properties, security if my memory is right.)  Perhaps you need to elevate the patron's rights to allow them to delete print jobs, although I'd think the system would do that for them.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 3, 2006
          If the problem lies with only one PC, then that PC is the cause of the problem.  Have you checked the Microsoft knowledgebase concerning it?   The easiest thing to do is delete the printer from that computer, then go into winnt\sysytem32\spool\drivers\w32x86 and move all the files under that level to a temporary holding folder, then reinstall the printer and drivers and see if that restores normal operation.  If the new setup fixes the problem, you can delete the moved files.  Else, restore the original settings.  The problem is deeper (probably the registry area).  You may want to reinstall the operating system on the problem computer.

          Bill H.