Re: [fhctech] no a:/ or d:/ in explorer

  • Bill Henderson
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 26, 2006
      Hi;

      Mind I throw my 2 cents worth in?

      From your "recently told it wasn't working,"  tells me you do not have personal knowledge of the computer's antics.  Is that true?  If so, I suggest you get acquainted with it..

      I asume the computer boots up in the windows operating system, yes??  What OS is it using anyway??

      Let's start with something simple first.  Do you have a bootable floppy disk?  If so, try to boot the computer with it.  If it boots, you know that A: drive works, and that problem has to be somewhere else.  If it doesn't boot, did the drive attempt to spin?
      If it spins, at least the power and the data cables are attached. Then I would check the BIOS as suggested by Russelhltn.  If it didn't spin, crack the case and check the cables.

      If you don't have a bootable floppy disk, I have included a simple copy of the autoexec.bat and config.sys files needed to make one with CDROM operation.  You can make a system (bootable) floppy with almost any operation system.  I just made one with WindowsXP as a test.  But you'll need a Windows 9x computer or DOS disks to get the other files you'll need.  If you don't have a Win9x computer, here are a couple DOS websites that should have them or at least links to other sites that may have them.

      By-the-way; is your BIOS password protected?  If not, this could be the reason you can't see or use these drives anymore.  A little mischief goes a long way.

      If the BIOS (actually CMOS) settings are OK, then it is time to crack the case and check the cabling.   34-line (aka 34-pin) data cables are used for floppy drives. 40-pin cables are used for ATA (IDE) harddrives.  One edge of the data cables is colored (usually red), but I've seen blue, black, and black hatch-marked.  The colored edge is the number line of the cable.  Properly setup, both cable should have the colored line nearest the 4-pin, power connection.  Obviously, they have to be plugged into the motherboard with the colored edge where the number 1 is printed on the motherboard.  Usually this is not a real problem because the connectors have an key that prevents them from being inserted backwards.  The power cables should be checked to see if they are firmly fastened into their connectors too.

      After checking the cables, try to bootup with the floppy disk again.  If it still doesn't boot, either your floppy drive defective (it didn't spin), or the heads are so dirty they can't read the disk.  If you have a spare floppy drive, swap the computer's floppy for the spare and check to see if you can bootup.

      By this time either the floppy bootup should work.  If your floppy has the files, autoexec.bat and config.sys programs on it, you should be able to use the CDROM too.  If both the floppy drive and CDROM work in DOS the problem is in the Windows operating system (where I suspect the problem really is - but you got to check the basics first).   If the Windows OS is the culprit, the simplest solution is to repair or reinstall the OS.  Win2k and WinXP have repair options.  If you have a "ghost" clone disk that might be the way to go.  I'd also try the other solutions offered on this too.

      >>This is going to be a stupd question but what is CMOS? Is that just
      the BIOS? Or, are they two different things?

      Not a stupid question.  Most people aren't sure of this either.

      Answer: They are two different things that work together and often used to mean the same thing.  Your BIOS is one or two ROM chips that start the bootup process.  It is hardcoded thus, NOT changeable.  Nowdays the BIOS is "flashable" and called firmware (and they can be upgraded, but once upgraded they do not change without another upgrade).  It sets up the information tables telling everything where everything else is.  CMOS is a separate memory chip that contains all the settings used by your BIOS to control the boot process.  CMOS uses that little battery inside the computer to maintain its memory settings.  When you tell the computer which order you want your bootup devices to follow: ie, floppy, harddrive, cdrom; CMOS remembers that order and tells the BIOS to initiate the bootup in that order.  CMOS also remembers your harddrive information (BIOS has no clue about the size or configuration of your harddrive).  BIOS says; use my keyboard, it is located at this memory location.  CMOS says I have a 101-key keyboard (vs an 84-key or 105-key keyboard).

      Bill H

      Patty Gaddis <geneamom@...> wrote:
      We have a computer at the FHC with a CD reader in it. I know it worked at
      one point as we loaded all the software from it. But, I was recently told
      it isn't working. When you go into Explorer, the drive does not show. All
      the other drives, including the mapped drives appear.

      I didn't do the checking on the CD, but was told that they tried 3
      different drives (all used) in the computer and none will display. The
      door will open and close so it is getting power.

      I don't even know where to begin looking for things. The person assured me
      they checked all the wires and they were all connected on both ends
      securely. I also made sure they changed cables in case that was it.

      Am having a similar problem with a friend's computer where the floppy won't
      display. Their computer had been on the floor when the house flooded with
      4" of water. They purchased a new computer but without a floppy
      drive. Since the one in the old computer was in the top of the case we
      assumed it would be okay so just installed it in the new case. But, it
      won't show in explorer either. I haven't had a chance to go check on this
      one. Just thought I'd mention it since it was a similar problem and might
      have a different solution.

      Any ideas on what I should be looking for? The floppy may have gotten
      fried when the flooding happened. They aren't sure if it was on or not
      when the rains came. But, the other computer was not damaged by any flooding.

      Thanks, Patty

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • merloutre
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 2, 2006
        Thanks, Bill.

        I did not see this message until after I'd already spent some time
        checking some things.

        I work in our FHC three times a month as a librarian and during those
        times and additional time in the library keep our 8 computer network
        running. (Or, try to at least with my limited knowledge :-) ) This
        particular computer is one of the older and slowest computers we
        have. They all run Win2000 Professional.

        The problem computer does boot up in Windows and except for the CD
        drive not working, seems fine. I've had no other problems with it.

        I do not have the BIOS password protected yet. We had been trying to
        get all the software installed after upgrading all the computers to
        Win2000. One other person and I have been the only ones installing
        the software. Once I could get all the computers up to speed (it's
        turning out to be a very slow process as I can't be here for hours on
        end like I wish I could) I was planning on locking BIOS, etc. For
        now they are set for admin and patron signons for Windows is all.

        I have tried going into the BIOS and setting the drive for different
        settings. But, no matter what I set as User 1, User 2, Auto, it
        won't see it. It does not show me the CD options on any of the
        Primary or Secondary slots. As an experiment today, I switched the
        hard drive for the CD drive on the mother board. The hard drive
        would not boot when plugged into that slot.

        So, I'm assuming it has to do with that particular "port". I don't
        know what word to use.

        When I go into MyComputer > Manage > Device Manager there is no
        DVD/CD Rom drives in the list to enable or disable. Now what do I
        do? Does that mean the whole motherboard needs to be replaced? Or,
        is it possible to just replace that "port". Or, what?

        I will try the floppy suggestion on the computer (a friend's) that is
        having the floppy problem. Although, I'm suspecting that maybe it is
        just disabled in the manager since it wasn't shipped with a floppy
        drive. Haven't had a chance to get to her house to check that yet.

        We just got word from SLC before the holiday weekend that they are
        shipping us another computer in the next few weeks. I'm not sure
        why. The last computer we got from them was maybe 3/4 years ago.
        They did not give us a specific reason for shipping this computer.
        So, not sure if it is supposed to be for something else. Or, we can
        use it any way we wish.

        My power is back on at home, so need to go finish laundry and dishes.

        Thanks, Patty

        --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, Bill Henderson <wch3120@...> wrote:

        > Hi;
        >
        > Mind I throw my 2 cents worth in?
        >
        > From your "recently told it wasn't working," tells me you do not
        have personal knowledge of the computer's antics. Is that true? If
        so, I suggest you get acquainted with it..

> [...]
        > one. Just thought I'd mention it since it was a similar problem and
        might
        > have a different solution.
        >
        > Any ideas on what I should be looking for? The floppy may have
        gotten
        > fried when the flooding happened. They aren't sure if it was on or
        not
        > when the rains came. But, the other computer was not damaged by any
        flooding.

        > Thanks, Patty

        > ; CONFIG.SYS 3/30/2006 -(simple version)
        > ;
        > ; Required Files (available with DOS & Windows 9x):
        > ; HIMEM.SYS, EMM386.EXE, USDIDE.SYS(or equivalent).
        > ;
        > ; USDIDE.SYS is a generic device driver for the CDROM, either use
        the one that came
        > ; with your CDROM or check the internet for the one I use.
        Required to run a CDROM.

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 2, 2006
          I am assuming you swapped the cable when you swapped the hard drive. And
          have you looked in Device Manager to see if the Secondary IDE Controller is
          present and functioning properly? It should show up even if nothing is
          plugged into it.

          It is not possible to replace the controller *on* the motherboard, but you
          may be able to disable it in the BIOS or through device manager (you can
          disable in DM with XP but I can't recall W2K), and use an add-on controller
          card. The other option is to just ignore the Secondary channel and use an
          external CD drive.

> [...]
          > gotten
          >> fried when the flooding happened. They aren't sure if it was on or
          > not
          >> when the rains came. But, the other computer was not damaged by any
          > flooding.
          >>
          >> Thanks, Patty

          >> Get on board. You're invited to try the new Yahoo! Mail Beta.
          >> ; CONFIG.SYS 3/30/2006 -(simple version)
          >> ;
          >> ; Required Files (available with DOS & Windows 9x):
          >> ; HIMEM.SYS, EMM386.EXE, USDIDE.SYS(or equivalent).
          >> ;
          >> ; USDIDE.SYS is a generic device driver for the CDROM, either use
          > the one that came
          >> ; with your CDROM or check the internet for the one I use.
          > Required to run a CDROM.
          >> ;////////1/////////2/////////3/////////4/////////5/////////6////////

        • Bill Henderson
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 2, 2006
            Setting and locking the BIOS is the first procedure I perform when configuring a new computer.  Everything else can be redone, but a fouled BIOS is much more difficult.  Protecting the BIOS will NOT affect other configuration items.

            Here are my procedures. There are based on HP computers, model dc7600 (except for the entry manner, most of the settings should be standard).:

             During bootup press F10 to open BIOS.
            (HP computers)

             Storage menu
             1. Change boot order: HD, Floppy, CDROM, USB, NIC (Disable)
             Security menu:

             2. Setup Password – Install Admin password
             3. Security ID – Ownership <tab>, enter ”Santa Clara Fam_Hist_Ctr #n”(#n = the workstation number – without quotes)

             Advanced Menu
             4. Power-on Options – Set F9 = Hidden, F12 = Hidden
             5. Device Options – Numlock = on, Confirm printer = EPP+ECP
             System Menu

             6. Save BIOS configuration to Floppy
             7. Save and Exit
             8. Double-click the BIOS Configuration file to open Notepad
             a. From the Menu select File, then page setup
             b. In the Header field, delete &f and type in the following:&l”computername”&c&f&r&d (“computername” = the name of the computer without quotes)
             c. Click OK to close and then print the file.
            Concerning the hard drive cables: you should have two 40-pin hard drive cables, primary and secondary.  On the motherboard they may be identified as 0 and 1, or 1 and 2, or even primary and secondary.  BIOS settings and thus cables are set as primary master, primary slave, secondary master, and secondary slave.  The harddisk with your OS should always be on the primary cable and the harddisk is either set as master or cable select (using cable select, the OS drive must be on the end of the cable).  The CDROM can be in any other connection you desire.  Most people use the second cable (as master or cable select) to let the harddisk work faster.  Whatever your harddisk setting is -- don't change it.  Just set your cables to match the drive (it worked that way before, so if it ain't broke don't fix it).

            If you are getting a PC from SLC, suspect it will be a HP dc7600.  That is what we have gotten most recently.  They are configured for standalone, CD operation.  So, if you have a network and you data files are on a server (or workstation acting like a server), you will have to reconfigure it.

            If your friend's computer didn't come with a floppy drive.  Most likely the instructions I gave you won't work.  New computers don't come with a floppy drive unless they are special configurations like the ones sent by SLC.  On a new computer, a floppy must be installed internally and activated in the BIOS.  Unless there is a change in the BIOS in the past two years, USB floppies are not recognized during bootup and won't take over the boot process.  ie. You can't boot from an external USB floppy drive.  By-the-way, It's not a good idea to mix the problems of two different computers in one request, it confuses people (it does to me anyway).

            I am fairly sure the lost CDROM drive issue is an operating system (OS) problem.  Confirm this by moving the CDROM on the bad computer to another computer and test it there.  If it works, your OS needs to be reinstalled.  Otherwise, you have a bad drive.  If you are dealing with FHC computers, use the floppy to boot the computer and use the OS CDROM to run the reinstall REPAIR option.  If that works you are fixed.  If not, plan on rebuilding the whole system.  CDROMs are pretty basic in the OS setup and they don't work most fixes won't work.  The only other thing I can think to suggest is to go to Microsoft's Knowledgebase and see if you can find a write-up about the problem (and its fix).

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 3, 2006
              From: "Bill Henderson" <wch3120@...>

              > I am fairly sure the lost CDROM drive issue is an operating system (OS)
              > problem. Confirm this by moving the CDROM on the bad computer to another
              > computer and test it there. If it works, your OS needs to be reinstalled.
              > Otherwise, you have a bad drive. If you are dealing with FHC computers,
              > use the floppy to boot the computer and use the OS CDROM to run the
              > reinstall REPAIR option. If that works you are fixed. If not, plan on
              > rebuilding the whole system. CDROMs are pretty basic in the OS setup and
              > they don't work most fixes won't work. The only other thing I can think
              > to suggest is to go to Microsoft's Knowledgebase and see if you can find a
              > write-up about the problem (and its fix).

              Testing out the CDROM in another computer is a good idea if that hasn't
              already been done. But it will only show whether the CDROM is good or bad.
              It will not differentiate between an OS problem and a hardware problem on
              the motherboard. I always try to configure my computers to show the entire
              boot process, not just the proprietary image (Gateway, Dell, Compaq, etc.)
              that they often give you. If the CDROM is good in a different computer, but
              it is NOT recognized by the BIOS before the OS loads, then it is a
              motherboard (or cable) and not an OS issue. The only way I know to easily
              tell the difference is to be able to watch the boot process before the OS
              comes into play. There can be a perfectly fine motherboard in terms of it's
              internal operation, but if someone bent or broke a pin on the connector the
              communication with the drive could be compromised. The other possibility is
              that the power connector she has been using is bad. There should be others
              available to try. As the BIOS checks for devices on the IDE connectors, you
              should see the CDROM light flash, and be able to open and close the drawer.
              That should happen even before an OS is installed if a known good CDROM has
              power and a good connection to the mobo.

              Gary Templeman
            • Bill Henderson
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 8, 2006
                Good info Gary, but I assumed this system's CDROM worked before and just recently failed.  If nobody brole open the case, none of the hardware should be bent.  Otherwise, check all the pins to the connectors.  If somebody moved the CDROM to a new cable or even a different location on the same cable their may be a jumper configuration issue (on the CDROM).  If the CDROM doesn't show up in the BIOS screens during the boot process, either the drive is kaput or the cabling and jumper is mismatched.  Testing on another machine determines if 'kaput' is the issue.  That is also why I try a floppy bootup.  If the drive works while booting from DOS, you have just checked everything up to the OS itself.  If it doesn't work, then the OS is probably NOT the problem.  Every tech-assistant should have a floppy boot disk, just for these kind of problems.