9577Re: [fhctech] Re: OT : Obituary data base program

  • Peter
    Mar 1 6:41 PM
      At 08:48 AM 3/1/06, you wrote:
      >I would suggest a program called Follio Views. It is used on the
      >Internet and by the Church for very large databases. You can have
      >certain key fields or search on any word or phrase. It has been
      >used to create a searchable database of the scriptures, the US 1880
      >census and several of the other Family History Resource File
      >entries. If the database file has an extension of ".nfo" it was
      >created using Follio Views. The data is indexed and compressed in
      >the final form which makes it much harder to extract the data in
      >mass.
      >Just a thought,
      >Mike

      Yes I am very familiar with that one as I have some of the databases
      you mentioned.
      Any Idea on how to get hold of this program.
      (Besides the obvious phone call to church HQ.)

      Thanks for the suggestion.
      Peter

      > > In a message dated 2/28/2006 8:31:54 P.M. US Mountain Standard
      >Time, peter.van.schaik@... writes:
      > >
      > > Honorable Techies ,
      > >
      > > A sister in our ward has a collection of almost a thousand
      >obituaries of
      > > aboriginal people from southern Alberta , collected over the
      >last twenty to
      > > thirty years from the local newspaper.
      > >
      > > We have found out that we are not allowed to copy these and
      >then publish
      > > them in book format or JPG images on CD .
      > >
      > > But to make the information available to other researchers we
      >can extract
      > > the names and info and compile an index .
      > > Which of course would be better and easier to search anyway.
      > >
      > > Now before we are going to re-invent the wheel (read;database)
      >in the form of
      > > MS Excel or MS Acces , we would like to ask if any of you are
      >aware of a program
      > > that will be able to do this.
      > >
      > > Some of the features that we would like to see;
      > > Sorting on names, dates, places.
      > > Searchable across all fields.
      > > Preferable searchable as a string or part name, or with wild
      >cards.
      > > Ease of editing / adding of new material.
      > > Protection of data grabbers !!!! While this is a volunteer
      >project and will be
      > > free to anyone we would not like it if some company
      >would "borrow" the info
      > > for their own gain.
      > >
      > > How about setting it up as a web page ? What would be involved
      >to set it up
      > > as a free web page ?
      > >
      > > Any and all suggestions welcome.
      > >
      > > Thank you.
      > > Peter
      > >

      > > Peter........in Lethbridge,Alberta,Canada.
      > > Genealogy .... chasing your own Tale !
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic