3070Re: [fhctech] Yahoo group changes

  • Justin Masters - FMEC
    Apr 2, 2002
      I've seen it reported in at least two newspapers that Yahoo had
      PROACTIVELY switched people from an opt-in system to an opt-out
      system.

      Justin

      Verily, Tom Huber did write:
      | I know that there is a common rumor that Yahoo made the changes. However, I took
      | a slightly different route, especially since I am actively fighting spam in any
      | form. I wrote to abuse@... and indicated that it appears that someone has
      | hacked into their site and changed all my settings. I asked that they
      | investigate and take care of the matter and suggested that they provide all
      | their accounts with information and a simple link to their settings so they
      | could check them. We'll have to see what response is forthcoming.
      |
      | Frankly, if Yahoo is at fault (and there is no real reason not to suspect them,
      | other than naivete), then they are violating basic business ethics in changing
      | everyone's account information. There are no laws regarding their action, so
      | they are safe there, but the practice is considered to be "net abuse" for which
      | all of us pay. But that is an entirely off-topic issue. If anyone wants more
      | info, you are welcome to e-mail me and I'll provide some links for you to
      | follow.
      |
      | Tom Huber
      | tnh@...
      | Crystal Lake, IL FHC
      |
      | On Mon, 01 Apr 2002 17:05:13 -0000, "g2j4m3jg" <jgillen@...> wrote:
      |
      | >I received this email via another group to which I subscribe. I made
      | >the edits as suggested and my options were all "Yes."

      Justin Masters (Systems Programmer) PH: 916 356-6735
      Intel Corp. FM6-17 FAX: 916 377-2288
      1900 Prairie City Rd, Folsom, CA 95630 jmasters@...
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic