13634Re: [fhctech] New Computers

  • James W Anderson
    Jul 28, 2014
      Part of the change is due to WinXP being declared a dead duck by Microsoft, they did one more update after they ended support, but that was due to a very serious security issue that came up just after that.

      But the two t hat didn't boot up, I'm thinking that might mean the hard drives are toast.  Had one die on me personally and that is what was found to be the problem, the hard drive was shot.  If that is the case the PC will try to boot again and again and not finding a good hard drive will try again and again but will not reboot.  Contact support.

      On Monday, July 28, 2014 8:44 PM, "Russell Hltn RussellHltn@... [fhctech]" <fhctech@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      You didn't get any warning on the official FHC email?
      On Jul 28, 2014 4:39 PM, "Mary Kirgan mary.kirgan@... [fhctech]" <fhctech@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      As a Family History Center Director I was rather surprised to walk into the Center and find four new computers.  One of my earlier comments had been that it would be helpful for our planning if we knew the requirements for getting new equipment and had a schedule of when we could expectt things to be replaced so we could plan and prepare.  I get the feeling that suggestion was ignored.

      Anyway - two computers booted up perfectly and were a joy.  The other two failed to boot, presented a message and a box instructing me to restart.  This appears to be an infinite cycle.  Does anyone know how to interrupt this and get them to boot?  If not, I'll call the Help line and listen to the music and tell my story as many times as needed until someone realizes I really do need tech support.

      Thanks for any help you can give.

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic