      From: Russell Hltn <RussellHltn@...>
      Date: 05/05/2014 2:15 AM (GMT-08:00)
      To: fhctech@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [fhctech] Portal status on new Dell 9020 Computers

      That's odd.  I could have sworn that it wasn't possible to change the DNS without going to static IP.  But tonight my laptop lets me do that.

      You really shouldn't have to set the DNS manually if the IP is DHCP.  If your router isn't serving up the right DNS IPs, then you've got other problems that need to be fixed.

      On Sun, May 4, 2014 at 6:28 PM, Gary Templeman <gtempleman1@...> wrote:

      The computers have an image from SL that come pre-configured to use DHCP, but just to see what happens, tonight I went back and manually changed the DNS servers to the configuration previously instructed - and I left the IP address as DHCP and re-booted. The problem message does not go away. However, the Premium Portal access works just fine even thought the message would indicate it shouldn't. I did discover that one must also run the new.Portalsvc.exe program independently when logged in as Patron or the access will only work under the Administrator login.

      On 5/4/2014 8:56 PM, Russell Hltn wrote:
      DNS filtering issues is the first thing I thought about.  However, I'd expect new machines to come configured for DHCP which shouldn't be an issue unless something "interesting" is going on with the network.

      If it was set up with a static IP, then perhaps the person installing it used non-approved DNS settings.

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic