13539Re: [fhctech] Image DVD

  • John M. Shaw
    Jan 4, 2013
      This is not the case anymore, but I can't say when this might have changed, all I know is we ordered a new computer for a new FHC in our stake, in February, we received the computer much later in the year because the FMG delivered it as a clerk computer to an adjacent stake.  When I got it back it had MLS on it., so I required a Win7 install disk to re-image the computer because policy for MLS states that the computer must be wiped.

      The Software Hardware Order form available from FamilySearch.org Help section has a checkbox to order it and you can specify xp or win7

      I've often been told many things by very helpful missionaries volunteering their time to support me, but that information has been iffy from time to time.

      The church is messaging, basically, that if you have XP don't upgrade to Win7 even if you have the license, because it will help them avoid an issue of someone upgrading to win7 who doesn't have a license.

      If you have a license, ask them for a disk... if not, install it from Dell.. either way, there isn't much of value on the image from FHC anymore anything coming from them goes through an upgrade to Tivoli anyway, you have to install the agent upgrade either way... so I say, just get a simple win 7 image, then run the tivoli agent, get the ssl certs installed and away you go.

      On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 4:25 PM, David J. Wardell <fhc_lists@...> wrote:

      Our 2012 computer delivery from Salt Lake came with XP installed and the distribution disks from Dell for Windows 7. When I recently tried requesting a “Windows 7 image” from support, I was told that “there is no such thing” and “no ability to convert existing computers from XP to Windows 7.” The only thing I was told I could do is use the original Dell installation disks and build everything from scratch.

      I saved the relevant e-mail message if anyone is interested.

      David Wardell

      Williamsburg Virginia Family History Center

      From: zionssuburb@...
      Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 19:46:22 -0600

      These days installing the Tivoli software gets you nearly everything you need. If you install the xp image you'll end up doing everything twice. If you have the skillset create your own image and install Tivoli and sophos post image.

      On Dec 31, 2012 7:34 PM, "Dana Repouille" <drepouille@...> wrote:

      This might be helpful:

      To: fhctech@yahoogroups.com
      From: studer_je@...
      Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 16:44:51 -0800
      Subject: [fhctech] Image DVD

      I've been out of the FHC tech support game for a while. I'm back in and need some guidance.
      In the past, FHC Support sent us a 2 disk DVD set called "Hardware Independent Image, Family History Center Desktop Image".

      We have some computers that were donated and I need to swap out some of the older PC's.

      Is there a newer DVD that has something newer than Windows XP on it, or should I just try use the old XP disks and apply updates?

      Any help would be appreciated.

      Thanks,
      -Jon

      --