13489Re: [fhctech] Flash Drives not being recognized

  • Bill Buchanan
    Mar 23, 2012
      I remember hearing that the root directory can only hold 127 files, but this limit does not apply to sub-folders.
      Another problem that can occur with flash drives is that U3 flash drives have two partititions and you cannot save to the first partition (which appears as a virtual CD-ROM). But that doesn't seem to be the problem here.

      --
      Bill Buchanan

      On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 12:17 AM, simonsen <simonsen@...> wrote:

      This might not be your problem but it is a problem experienced in our FHC.
      One of our patrons could not save a file to a flash drive. When looking
      to see if there was space available there was a lot of space. Finally
      the problem was determined.

      If you write many small files onto a flash drive's root directory it can
      run out of file name space. You will see that there is a lot of space
      on the flash drive but you can not write another file to it.

      Solution is to make sun-folders and save files to the folders. Each
      folder has its own file name space.

      For further information read http://support.microsoft.com/kb/120138

      --
      Richard N Simonsen